Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Crystal Black Silica Touring (named "Emma" by the wife)
20 Posts
  • Do NOT use Rain-X on the windshield. It creates glare that messes with the system.
  • Do not get your windshield coated (eg: If you do Ceramic Pro like I did on my Ascent, make sure they do not do the inside or outside of the windshield).
And I was JUUUUUST about to apply Aquapel on my windshield.... guess that's out as well?

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring, Crystal White Pearl
15 Posts
I have found ACC does a good job exiting a freeway with a long, fairly straight deceleration lane. As the cars slow smoothly to the stoplight, it will slow nicely and stop behind them. You may have to increase following distance a bit as you slow down or reduce the set speed. But exits with a short decel lane, a turn, or a stoplight that comes soon pose a potential danger. Then you need to just drive it yourself.

Watch this guy use it on the freeway and then exit to a stop at 14:35. Test drive starts at 09:45.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
151 Posts
So I’ve noticed this spring that the system really doesn’t like our terrible roads with worn away lines from the winter. It constantly bings and dings and tells me it can’t find the lane or that I’ve departed my lane when I’m moving perfectly straight within it. But at least it’s not “correcting” me into ditches or other traffic.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Yes, the Lane Departure Warning threshold is different than the Lane Keep Assist (or Lane Centering, for those of you with that) threshold.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
151 Posts
It’s not really a threshold thing, it doesn’t think I’m too close to the line it thinks I’m crossing a line that doesn’t exist. It seems to be recognizing tar strips and cracks in the road, even patches of sand or wows in the lanes as painted lane markings. It’s not annoying enough to turn it off...yet, but it’s certainly something to be improved upon.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
I think you misunderstood me. What I am trying to say is Lane Assist needs to be a lot more sure before acting than the warning beeps.

Regardless, I have used my front camera because the beeps were annoying me... turns out the car was right and I was wrong.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Can we apply RainX to the windshield that only covers the wiper area and not where the cameras lookout? I love RainX and its effects, but would hate to screw up the EyeSight system.
The cameras look out through the whole grey area in the image below. The engineering team, when I asked just a couple months ago, said that the correct answer is still "No". That doesn't mean people don't do it... it just means they shouldn't, but choose to anyway. ;)

61 - 69 of 69 Posts