Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yes, that is why I cover that multiple times in multiple different ways. The system is not designed to replace an attentive human being. It is only designed to assist and attentive human being.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
749 Posts
Yes, I also am always monitoring and adjusting the target speed and following distance based on the traffic conditions. With all these fancy driving aids we still should be activly involved. Not asleep like the Tesla guys!

I like the less aggressive acceleration profile of Comfort.

I've also been changing my position in my lane as traffic move into or out of my lane so that Eyesight picks up it's new following target quicker. I'm not totally convinced yet that this actually works better.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I think I'm the only one who likes the "Dynamic" setting! :D
LOL, I use it too. I still manually adjust follow distance regularly though.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
There are many new Ascent owners... this may be a good read for you. It applies to the 2019 and 2020 Subaru Ascent.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the triple negative way to convey the message.
On the other hand, what’s implied by your version is ...it’s ok to use it on a highway with stop signs or it’s ok to use on one with lights but just not a highway with both lights and stop signs.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
  • You are not supposed to use ACC... on anything but highways that don't have lights and stop signs).
Important information, to be sure, but I find the triple negative hard to follow.

I take it to mean: "Never use ACC on roads with lights and stop signs".
There is nothing wrong with the triple negative way to convey the message.
On the other hand, what’s implied by your version is ...it’s ok to use it on a highway with stop signs or it’s ok to use on one with lights but just not a highway with both lights and stop signs.
Well, most importantly isn't that I understand it, so, I've revised it to hopefully make it clearer for everyone else. Thank you both for your input. Please let me know what you think:
  • Do not use Adaptive Cruise Control to enter or exit a highway, or on traffic controlled streets (eg: Do NOT use it on any roads that have stop signs, and/or traffic lights). ONLY use it on highways and roadways that don't have lights and/or stop signs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
  • Do not use Adaptive Cruise Control to enter or exit a highway, or on traffic controlled streets (eg: Do NOT use it on any roads that have stop signs, and/or traffic lights)...
Having done this and find it works quite well (of course not recognizing or stopping for the stop signs or red lights) I'm missing the why.

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Having done this and find it works quite well (of course not recognizing or stopping for the stop signs or red lights) I'm missing the why.
It does not recognize stop signs, traffic lights or yield signs. Also, it takes longer to recognize stopped cars (such as ones stopped at a stop light). And, also, in the event one exits a highway while it is engaged, the car may accelerate onto the exit ramp at speeds beyond the safe exit speed. There are other reasons as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know if this forum is active or not to answer my questions.

Is there a way to keep the adaptive cruise.on after stopping for a few seconds? When stopping, it waits a few seconds and beeps and kicks itself off. Is there a way to enable it to always stay on so that if you are in stop and go traffic it will remain running

Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,088 Posts
Don't know if this forum is active or not to answer my questions.

Is there a way to keep the adaptive cruise.on after stopping for a few seconds? When stopping, it waits a few seconds and beeps and kicks itself off. Is there a way to enable it to always stay on so that if you are in stop and go traffic it will remain running

Thank you in advance
This is a very active forum site.

Your system is operating as designed. When the vehicle comes to a full stop under ACC, it goes into "hold" mode if the stop lasts more than a couple of seconds. This is for safety reasons. ACC is still active, however. You merely tap the gas pedal and it will start moving again up to your ACC set speed if traffic allows.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
828 Posts
If ACC does bring you close to a full stop, but not actually stopped, then it will resume on its own as traffic ahead moves. However, if it does bring the car to a full stop, then you do have to resume it manually using one of the methods above. This is very common behavior for ACCs, because they're meant as driver assist systems only -- the primary function being to follow a car without colliding with it. They're not self-driving systems, which is why it won't accelerate the car from a stop without being asked to by the driver.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
151 Posts
So now that the winter is on its way out, the lane keep has started recognizing lane markers again, but it constantly turns off and back on as the lines here are worn away. It will be months before they paint them again, just in time for the snow to return, lol!
Through the winter the system is often off as it can’t find any markings so I just let I do it’s thing. I almost lost control once however as it picked up some packed snow and ice on the road and tried to send me towards the ditch! It was the start of a turning lane for a trucking company on a road in an 80km/hr speed zone.
I think I’ll be turning the system off next winter.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
So now that the winter is on its way out, the lane keep has started recognizing lane markers again, but it constantly turns off and back on as the lines here are worn away. It will be months before they paint them again, just in time for the snow to return, lol!
Through the winter the system is often off as it can’t find any markings so I just let I do it’s thing. I almost lost control once however as it picked up some packed snow and ice on the road and tried to send me towards the ditch! It was the start of a turning lane for a trucking company on a road in an 80km/hr speed zone.
I think I’ll be turning the system off next winter.
Now consider how well level three autonomous vehicles will perform given the realities of the road conditions. The cities and towns have a difficult enough time focusing our tax dollars on potholes let alone lane markings our embedded sensors. Consider that maybe your town does an adequate job but the next town over or one you are traveling to does not.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
151 Posts
I can’t see how any autonomous system could ever work here. Our roads are terrible and markings even worse.
I personally don’t have much use for any of the fancy electronics but see the safety benefits overall. But as I found out, these systems still need some work. Luckily I have fast reflexes and was able to countersteer and the awd /traction control kept us from sliding.
I also feel that these automated parking features allow folks to become less aware of their vehicle dimensions and whereabouts. I still use my mirrors for parking while my kids enjoy watching the backup camera.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I can’t see how any autonomous system could ever work here. Our roads are terrible and markings even worse.
I personally don’t have much use for any of the fancy electronics but see the safety benefits overall. But as I found out, these systems still need some work. Luckily I have fast reflexes and was able to countersteer and the awd /traction control kept us from sliding.
I also feel that these automated parking features allow folks to become less aware of their vehicle dimensions and whereabouts. I still use my mirrors for parking while my kids enjoy watching the backup camera.
I recall all the autonomous hype that promised fully autonomous vehicles by now.

This morning I am taking my family out to breakfast.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts