Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation, but don't you think it would be nice if the system warns you few seconds before it jams the brakes, instead of wait until the collision is imminent? It should give at least few seconds to the driver to react and apply the brakes, and if they don't take over it.
Even in this case, it would be nice if the system has some settings that can be changed by the driver. for example, the distance between the front car and when it should give audible warning. I wonder all other safety systems (radar) in other cars works the same way? Ascent is the only vehicle I drove with safety technology.
When I had my "incident" I had the PCB scream at me with the 4 lights and I hit the brakes before it could and stopped in time not to hit the car in front of me. Also I've had the 4 lights scream at me when I was driving aggressively as I was about to weave into the next lane, but the PCB didn't know that.

So there is a not insignificant warning time before the car actually applies the brakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but I assume that when the ACC brakes to slow down that the brake lights come on and off just like if you were manually braking?

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Maybe a dumb question, but I assume that when the ACC brakes to slow down that the brake lights come on and off just like if you were manually braking?
Yes, they sure do. You can see the brake lights light up on the displays as well. It's a little delayed from when it really happens, but, give it a try to check it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got it Thanks! I was driving back from Vegas and wasn't sure. BTW, Eyesight/ACC worked flawlessly the whole way. Set it at 80mph. Very convenient.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Does ACC have different characteristics for Eco/Comfort/Standard if there is no lead car acquired? For example if my cruise is set to 45 and there is no one in front of me, will it have the same eco comfort standard characteristics?

At least for Standard versus Dynamic, yes, there's a perceptible difference in acceleration characteristics.

I haven't tested the other settings. I tend to accelerate, er...authoritatively? :devil:

This car has a surprising amount of grunt down low (yes, I know the torque-band, it's just that it really does feel good!). I've found it very easy to stick to the break-in procedures.

·
Registered
917 Posts
That's funny. People seem to have criticisms of the initial "go" from the transmission. I wonder if it's because they're coming from non-Subaru's or non-Turbos in general? My Outback needs very little throttle to get going, otherwise I get a jolting sensation. I kind of learned to drive it better after I bought it - kind of like driving a stick.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's funny. People seem to have criticisms of the initial "go" from the transmission. I wonder if it's because they're coming from non-Subaru's or non-Turbos in general?

That's a good point - and I also don't know. :dunno:

My BIL was shocked at how punchy my wifey's WRX is (simply with Sport mode selected - my wife found the Intelligent setting a bit too smart for her as a blonde [joking, she's an MD :smile_big:]) off the line. He said that the car seemed to "jump" from a standstill to 30 MPH (he only drove the car locally, when he came in on business for a day or so). It's a '16, CVT.

I've pretty much always had a Japanese car - boosted at that - and have adapted to their gearing and controls a long time ago. :eek: It's to the point where if I get in a "traditional" American or European car, it takes me a few miles/minutes to adjust.

I find that if I just get up to the PSL right off the bat from the time the light turns green, I can pretty much cruise ahead of the rest of the traffic that was also at the light. Of-course, that's not from having a fast car - I was able to do that even in my "Leo the Lazy Lion" 2.5i OB: half of it is from folks too absorbed in their phone screens to know that the light's even changed. :smile_big:

·
Registered
3 Posts
we're buying our Ascent at the end of march

any idea how mounted dash cams affect the eyesight windshield? likely will be mounted directly behind the rearview mirror

·
Registered
978 Posts

any idea how mounted dash cams affect the eyesight windshield? likely will be mounted directly behind the rearview mirror
You should be fine if it's mounted there. That's where I have mine. My GPS module is affixed to the black shaded portion of the winshield (to the left of the mirror stalk) and the camera itself drops below that an inch or two. No Eyesight issues wahtsoever.

https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...-subaru-ascent-today/1991-added-dash-cam.html
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...baru-ascent-today/2283-installed-dashcam.html
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/155-diy-how/3149-dash-cam-install-helpful-tips.html
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/26-subaru-subaru/3413-dashcam-placement.html

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts

There is a thread or two specifically on this subject. Any dash cam mounted in the vicinity of the rearview mirror needs to be mounted in such a way to not be within the Eyesight cameras' field of view, and this, of course, includes the power cord. Several forum members have mounted theirs in that area successfully. Suggest you search for "dash cam" and you should get all of the information you're looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a thread or two specifically on this subject. Any dash cam mounted in the vicinity of the rearview mirror needs to be mounted in such a way to not be within the Eyesight cameras' field of view, and this, of course, includes the power cord. Several forum members have mounted theirs in that area successfully. Suggest you search for "dash cam" and you should get all of the information you're looking for.
thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I am new here and I am considering buying an ascent. I have a weird question that I can't find an answer to. Searching has not revealed an answer. Perhaps my searching It could be that my searching skills are not up to snuff. It deals with a strange circumstance. I am a disabled driver. I have very limited use of my left hand. I am using a spinner knob to drive. It is on the steering wheel and aids me in turning. I think they called them suicide knobs back in the day. I know adaptive cruise control requires you to keep your hands on the wheel. My question is does it use a torgue sensor (requiring you to put some turning pressure on the wheel) or use cameras to determine you are holding the wheel? I intend on holding the wheel but since I only grip the knob my hand is never directly on the wheel. Will this work for me? I can sort of grip the wheel with my left (to keep the car in lane and use it for small curves) but it is weaker than my right. I am sure the most absolute answer will be just test drive one and see. I was planning on doing that but I am curious in the meantime. If you use adaptive cruise control and know how the requirement that hand(s) on the wheel work please let me know. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It senses steering input and does not use cameras. I assume it is feedback from the electric assist power steering. I would think that the steering wheel knob from the 50's should be OK.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I am new here and I am considering buying an ascent. I have a weird question that I can't find an answer to. Searching has not revealed an answer. Perhaps my searching It could be that my searching skills are not up to snuff. It deals with a strange circumstance. I am a disabled driver. I have very limited use of my left hand. I am using a spinner knob to drive. It is on the steering wheel and aids me in turning. I think they called them suicide knobs back in the day. I know adaptive cruise control requires you to keep your hands on the wheel. My question is does it use a torgue sensor (requiring you to put some turning pressure on the wheel) or use cameras to determine you are holding the wheel? I intend on holding the wheel but since I only grip the knob my hand is never directly on the wheel. Will this work for me? I can sort of grip the wheel with my left (to keep the car in lane and use it for small curves) but it is weaker than my right. I am sure the most absolute answer will be just test drive one and see. I was planning on doing that but I am curious in the meantime. If you use adaptive cruise control and know how the requirement that hand(s) on the wheel work please let me know. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
It uses steering input. I sometimes get the warning on the flat straight roads to "keep my hands on the wheel" even though both are on there. As soon as I turn the wheel slightly, it goes away.

Also, the steering is nice and light in the Ascent which should help you. Go have a test drive and I think you'll be pleased!

Reactions: scipio11111

·
Registered
8 Posts
It uses steering input. I sometimes get the warning on the flat straight roads to "keep my hands on the wheel" even though both are on there. As soon as I turn the wheel slightly, it goes away.

Also, the steering is nice and light in the Ascent which should help you. Go have a test drive and I think you'll be pleased!
Thanks a ton!

·
Administrator
9,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
New Members...

There are many new Ascent owners in the forums... I hope that all of you who haven't had time to read your manuals go to the top of this thread and read my summary of some of the most important things to know about your Subie...

Start here:

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
My son just figured out and I confirmed that after setting ACC you can increase the CC speed in increments of 5mph by pushing up on resume. I haven't had time to look in the manual to learn if it informs us of this feature.

·
Registered
559 Posts
One thing I would like to add is when using ACC, pay attention to your preset speed vs what the traffic around you is moving at.

IOW if your ACC is set at 75 mph and traffic is moving at 59 mph, there could be a scenario where the car you’re following moves out of your lane. Your car then aggressively accelerates trying to get back up to the 75 mph preset speed. But then traffic slows suddenly while you’re accelerating or a car lives into your lane and hits the brakes.

Depending on where you’ve set your follow distance at, I’ve had it happen where the Ascent felt like it was going to not slow down in time and rear end the guy in front of me.

The solution of course is to be ever vigilant. What also helps is to go into the menu and reduce the aggressiveness of the acceleration while in ACC mode. Also if there is a big differential in your preset speed and what the actual speed is, consider reducing the preset in 5 mph increments by toggling the speed switch down.

Coming back from Reno to NorCal going over Donner Pass, I never used the accelerator. My driving consisted solely of using the ACC and adjusting my preset speed and follow distance depending on traffic.

ACC and LKA are driving aids. They’ve changed how we drive, ostensibly making us safer drivers. But driver involvement remains critical.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts