Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not directly applicable but I noticed that the 1700BH has a dry 3280 and a GVWR of only 3700 lb (limited by its single axle). That means they expect you to keep additional weight to 420 or fewer lbs. With the 2108DS empty weight of 4140 and the 5000lb Ascent limit, you have a margin of 860 lb.
The brochure states 3700 GVWR, but the trailer sticker states 4000 lbs. So there is more payload available in the 1700BH.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I look forward to hearing about your experience, particularly keeping the total weight within spec, since I am looking at the 2020 Micro Mini 2108DS that weighs slightly more.
We've been out six times in the 2106FBS since July, with trips under 115 miles one-way. We've not been real diligent on weight management. We typically drive no faster than 60 mph. The Ascent behaves well, and the Tekonsha brake controller does its job. I use the brake controller for "sense of security" on steep downhills, but have only had to use it once for a quick stop on a highway. I keep the controller setting at 7.0, but that may be a little too high (6.5 might be fine, I just like round numbers ;)).

The Ascent does hills OK with the Micro Minnie, but it definitely labors more than on flats. Maintaining consistent speed becomes the trick on hills.

While I love the Ascent, I can definitively say that if I had to do it again I probably would get a pickup truck. Mostly for some additional benefits of the truck bed (ex. ability to bring along a generator and fuel for bookdocking), but also b/c I think it would be better overall handling of the trailer on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning Kann,

We are about to buy a 2100BH and was wondering if everything is still go so far with it?

Did you had a change to check the tongue weight with propane and battery included?

Thanks

61 - 63 of 63 Posts