Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Winnie dealer wants us to put a Fastway E2 Trunion WDH/Adjustable Sway Control on the trailer. We have the Subaru OEM trailer hitch ready and installed. I think it's a dealer oversell. They say we'll want it. What do you all say? Is the 2100BH ok for the Ascent? Getting ready to buy this today but I'm not sure I have all the information.

Also what is the best brake controller for this? On the Forum I've seen most with the Taekonsha wired into the left side of the steering wheel/dash. If that's correct, what are the product numbers?

Anything else I should think about or be aware of before buying today???

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I composed this post quickly because I know you need this info today, asap. Here are the essentials.

With a gross dry weight of 3860 lbs and a dry tongue weight of 430 lbs, the Winnebago 2100BH is suitable for the Ascent but pushing the upper end of its limits. You'll need to carefully manage the cargo weight to keep the gross total weight under the Ascent's 5000 lb towing limit. So, your cargo capacity is 1140lbs which should be sufficient. Try to keep the cargo weight well under that for added safety and better towing comfort.

With a dry tongue weight of 430 lbs, you'll also need to carefully manage the cargo weight distribution to keep the loaded tongue weight under the Ascent's 500 lb limit. I would advise purchasing a device to measure the tongue weight. There are many discussions concerning these in this forum. Look here.

Absolutely do not purchase the WDH/Adjustable Sway Control. The Ascent is not designed for any weight distribution or sway control system. There are many threads on this forum concerning this. See this one first. Do not listen to the dealer, they often do not realize that these devices can damage an Ascent. The Ascent uses an electronic sway control system so a mechanical one is not necessary anyway.

Again, brake controllers are well covered in this forum. Look here and you'll find all the info you need.

I hope this post reaches you in time before you purchase.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,304 Posts
The Winnie dealer wants us to put a Fastway E2 Trunion WDH/Adjustable Sway Control on the trailer. We have the Subaru OEM trailer hitch ready and installed.
WDH and other third party sway controls are prohibited by Subaru for the Ascent. You don't need it and shouldn't pay for it.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I composed this post quickly because I know you need this info today, asap. Here are the essentials.

With a gross dry weight of 3860 lbs and a dry tongue weight of 430 lbs, the Winnebago 2100BH is suitable for the Ascent but pushing the upper end of its limits. You'll need to carefully manage the cargo weight to keep the gross total weight under the Ascent's 5000 lb towing limit. So, your cargo capacity is 1140lbs which should be sufficient. Try to keep the cargo weight well under that for added safety and better towing comfort.

With a dry tongue weight of 430 lbs, you'll also need to carefully manage the cargo weight distribution to keep the loaded tongue weight under the Ascent's 500 lb limit. I would advise purchasing a device to measure the tongue weight. There are many discussions concerning these in this forum. Look here.

Absolutely do not purchase the WDH/Adjustable Sway Control. The Ascent is not designed for any weight distribution or sway control system. There are many threads on this forum concerning this. See this one first. Do not listen to the dealer, they often do not realize that these devices can damage an Ascent. The Ascent uses an electronic sway control system so a mechanical one is not necessary anyway.

Again, brake controllers are well covered in this forum. Look here and you'll find all the info you need.

I hope this post reaches you in time before you purchase.
Thank you Pro10is for your fast reply! Any thoughts on backup cameras? Appreciate it.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
8,021 Posts
Thank you Pro10is for your fast reply! Any thoughts on backup cameras? Appreciate it.
Look for the side and rear camera systems. I saw someone in another group who had the three cam setup, and it's amazing. I plan on doing it.

If I find out what system, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
...but it's so much fun to have my wife get out, go back, and gesticulate and shout direction as I'm backing up.
The one and only time I let my wife drive the car with a trailer attached, she jackknifed it into a parked truck. 😄

·
Registered
374 Posts
We got a cheaper wireless camera system, I highly recommend one. I paid $130 for the first one and after some connectivity issues, was sent a different system for free. Basically someone's rebrand of this, it works really well and you can add more cameras to the screen. IMO 3 cameras is overkill you can easily mount one camera to each side of the trailer and get a full rear view. But if we are talking a professional purpose built high end RV camera system that's a whole different ball game. Temper your expectations to the price point and you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I always use GOAL.

Get Out And Look!

Cameras are nice though but didn't need one even with my 31' Fifth wheel :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't get a backup camera. Get an "observation camera". The difference is the observation camera stays on all the time while the backup ones tend to only come on when you're in reverse. I would also get a wireless tire pressure monitoring system for the trailer tires.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The difference in cameras is in how you wire them. If you want it on all the time use parking lights for the trigger. Or a constant power source.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Winnie dealer wants us to put a Fastway E2 Trunion WDH/Adjustable Sway Control on the trailer. We have the Subaru OEM trailer hitch ready and installed. I think it's a dealer oversell. They say we'll want it. What do you all say? Is the 2100BH ok for the Ascent? Getting ready to buy this today but I'm not sure I have all the information.

Also what is the best brake controller for this? On the Forum I've seen most with the Taekonsha wired into the left side of the steering wheel/dash. If that's correct, what are the product numbers?

Anything else I should think about or be aware of before buying today???

Thanks!
Hi. I am wondering if you ended up buying the 2100BH? If so:

Have you traveled with it yet, any tips on distribution of weight? Did you remove the LP tanks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Have you traveled with it yet, any tips on distribution of weight? Did you remove the LP tanks?

Thanks!
I'll keep you posted. Picking it up in the next few weeks in NV. 2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The Micro Minnie series is a really nice looking trailer it should serve you well. Just be cautious of the extra tongue weight from the propane tanks. I would weigh it without and with the tanks to ensure you are under the limit. That being said, after a few trips you will be able to tell when you are pusing the limits, the extra squat is very noticeable. I usually add a half tank of water to our black and grey tank when we are riding with a full water tank to balance the load, then dump them when i reach the campground. This practice also helps keep the tanks clean, you might also look into adding water softener while the tanks are new to help keep residue from building on the tank walls. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I'll keep you posted. Picking it up in the next few weeks in NV. 2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2100BH.
Yes, please keep us posted. I'm interested in the Micro Minnie series and would greatly appreciate any insight from anyone towing one with the Ascent.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Look for the side and rear camera systems. I saw someone in another group who had the three cam setup, and it's amazing. I plan on doing it.
Did you locate the camera system yet, Robert.Mauro? Furrion looks like they are set up for marker lights and multi cameras. The Voyager, which the Winnebago is prewired for, doesn't look as sophisticated. Adding to that all my family hauling 5th wheels think I'm foolish to even invest in a camera!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, please keep us posted. I'm interested in the Micro Minnie series and would greatly appreciate any insight from anyone towing one with the Ascent.
Coming soon. Picking up our new 2100BH in a few weeks from Las Vegas. Tekonsha P3 installed prior. OEM (but not factory installed) hitch. What about the wiring to the trailer lights and turn signals? Come with the trailer? (Really a newbie here. I had a Westy for 30 years!) This forum is my "true guide."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks!
Getting it in a couple of weeks in Las Vegas. I'll let you know!!

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Administrator
8,021 Posts
Did you locate the camera system yet, Robert.Mauro? Furrion looks like they are set up for marker lights and multi cameras. The Voyager, which the Winnebago is prewired for, doesn't look as sophisticated. Adding to that all my family hauling 5th wheels think I'm foolish to even invest in a camera!
A bunch of people recommended the Furrion system in a FB travel trailer forum I am in. Their reviews of it, pics and video of it, etc, were really good. It's nicely expandable, so, one can start with only one cam. I'll probably go with it when the time comes. For now, I just dropped off Eddie's travel trailer in Vermont about 6ish weeks ago, and, it will be there for a few more weeks - so, no towing for me for a while - not until I go and pick it back up (my Ascent is the tow vehicle for his trailer, as he has a Prius and Model S).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts