Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same thing happen. The manual latch in the back panel did not work. I ended up taking it to the dealership and they disconnected the battery to reset the system. It has been over a month and it hasn't happened again.

The service department did say they sent the information on the issue to Subaru. I would recommend talking to someone at your dealership so that it can be passed along to Subaru. The more people that have this issue the more likely they will look into fixing it.
EXACT same thing happened to me second day I had my new 2020 Ascent. Mechanic at dealer knew all about the problem and thought the problem had been fixed for 2020 but obviously it has not been. Had to disconnect battery to resolve it. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had this same thing happen. The manual latch in the back panel did not work. I ended up taking it to the dealership and they disconnected the battery to reset the system. It has been over a month and it hasn't happened again.

The service department did say they sent the information on the issue to Subaru. I would recommend talking to someone at your dealership so that it can be passed along to Subaru. The more people that have this issue the more likely they will look into fixing it.

I also have an Ascent with less than 2000 miles. Had same thing occur. Could not get lift gate to close with remote,rear gate switch or dash switch. Kept beeping could not even get it to close manually either. Like you tried the book recommendations but that didn’t work either.
Went on you tube and found two posts with exact issue. The one I followed was to remove the #14 fuse in the dash ( the panel is located just left of the steering wheel) its a tight fit in there so def use a fuse puller, in a pinch a medical hemostat will work. Count to 10 and replace it. This would be in lieu of pulling the terminal cable off the battery. The posts I read on You Tube also stated the dealer had no idea. I’m going to follow this up with the dealer and Subaru also. It appears to be a problem with no known solution.....

Joe

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have the opposite problem - at times, when just shutting off the car, we’ll go to open the hatch and it wont open. The button is hard and won’t depress, but it will open from the dash button. All doors are unlocked and car is off.

·
Super Moderator
7,403 Posts
I have the opposite problem - at times, when just shutting off the car, we’ll go to open the hatch and it wont open. The button is hard and won’t depress, but it will open from the dash button. All doors are unlocked and car is off.
Left most button, and not the right most button, correct? If so, sounds like you need a new one. :-(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also ran into this problem the other night. Got home, parked, tried the power gate by the dash button as normal. Just a constant beep and it won't open. Tried the button on the fob - same thing. Tried locking the car, unlocking the car, etc. Before resetting the battery or (ugh) calling the dealership, I read through the manual.

Found the instructions on page 157 - Initialization of power rear gate. You have to keep holding the rear gate button for at least ten seconds and you'll hear it unlock. Hope this helps someone out
Worked, Thanks

·
Banned
9 Posts
Bring it in to your dealership and let them know this has happened to you! This is actually a known issuec, this same thing happened to me while on our test drive. We had to turnaround half way into my test drive and exchange Ascents. Your service department should be able to take care of this issue.
If something like that happen to me in a test drive I would be next car please and it WONT be a Subaru

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this same problem, i was frustrated and hip chucked the lift gate w my hip and actually dented the car!!!!it buzzed until i got home and disconnected the battery and it stopped. Hasn't happened again but it doesn't. open all the time, sometimes takes several tries. I also have the white smoke issue, i also had to have the AC line replaced as it had a hole in it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
If something like that happen to me in a test drive I would be next car please and it WONT be a Subaru

Something like that is rather small and not a dealbreaker to me, but I will tel you what is a deal breaker! I test drove the Hyundai Palisade last week I pulled out the lot and stepped on the gas.... I looked down to see my MPH and the speedometer didn’t even move. I turned right around and told the sales associate “I think I have seen enough of this vehicle”

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had this issue a few weeks ago, while at grocery store, pressed the open latch from inside the car, it didn't work, pressed the button again and it caused it to lockup and alarm, drove back home, tried to access it from the panel in trunk door, that did not work. None of the lock/unlock etc worked. Only thing that helped was disconnecting the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me too... (unplugged the battery and it fixed the problem)

Anyone made a complaint to Subaru? Any result?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2020 Limited Ascent. Same thing happened to me. Got home, opened left gate from the back then closed it from the back heard a weird type of closing then two beeps. Notice it hadn’t closed all the way. Attempted to re open from the back, fob and dash to no avail. Read the the manual no work around found, found the solution of You tube. Yes you can dc the battery, but on the you tube video I found that you really only need to dc the fuse for the lift gate. So, buy a fuse puller or keep a hemostat in the glove box. Look on the legend of the panel box or in the manual I believe it was fuse #10 but don’t quote me. I went to the dealer and explained it to them. They basically told me they had never had the issue reported to them or Subaru. They the issue had to have been that I had something obstruction the closure of the gate. Yeah, no way there was nothing there.........

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had the same thing happen a couple of times. We were notified last week that a service bulletin was released and they have a fix for it now. We took the car in and it is being corrected as I type this. They are not doing a recall as of now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
EXACT same thing happened to me second day I had my new 2020 Ascent. Mechanic at dealer knew all about the problem and thought the problem had been fixed for 2020 but obviously it has not been. Had to disconnect battery to resolve it. Ridiculous.
I had it happen and back to the dealer 7 times and not fixed. Subaru eventuality gave me a whole new car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone know if we can pull #XX fuse to reset the lift gate instead of disconnecting battery?
Yes! I removed/reinserted fuse #14 from passenger compartment panel and lift gate reset instantly! Easier than disconnecting battery. Note that the fuse does not say "pwr lift gate" or anything close to it as that would have been just way too helpful! It's a hard fuse to reach but if you get the fuse puller tool which is stored in the engine fuse compartment it's a lot easier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes! I removed/reinserted fuse #14 from passenger compartment panel and lift gate reset instantly! Easier than disconnecting battery. Note that the fuse does not say "pwr lift gate" or anything close to it as that would have been just way too helpful! It's a hard fuse to reach but if you get the fuse puller tool which is stored in the engine fuse compartment it's a lot easier.
There is a fix to this issue. Call your service manager. They received a bulletin and have a fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TL;DR Power lift gate locked up with constant door chime on, not beeping, just on. Unable to resolve manually or electronically. Had to disconnect battery to resolve. Anyone else had similar issue? Anyone care to read and offer up tips/hints I missed along the way?

I use my lift gate at least 4 times a day, for my work computer bag since my back seats have child seats. Today, I had issues when exiting…my routine is to park, e-brake, hit the push to start button to turn off the ignition, radio is still on but turns off once I open my door, hit the lift gate button on the lower left dash panel, shut driver door, grab work bag, hit gate button on bottom of gate and walk away, hit key fob to lock once I see/hear the gate close. I’m 2K+ miles into my new Ascent Premier w/upgraded wheels and moonroof package as my daily and family commuter, and once at work in the morning today, the lift gate gets stuck and only raised about 10 inches. No problem, I worked through the “setting height” button before, but this wasn’t depressed. I’ve worked though times when I felt the lift gate should open and doesn’t. Luckily, I just pressed the lift gate button on the dash again and the lift gate closed. I held the lift gate button down again and up went the lift gate nicely. Okay onto work.

Fast-forward to arriving at home, same routine, but when I hit the dash lift gate button to open it, and then release it after a couple beeps, the gate sounds some extra beeps and then keeps sounding a constant beep. I look back to find the door hasn’t moved, it’s still closed. I try the manual handle (the fob is always in my pocket) and nothing happens. I try the fob, nothing, I go back and turn on the car, turn off the car, nothing, drive around the block once, nothing, I can lock and unlock the car’s 4 passenger doors using the fob and turn on the alarm, but nothing affects the jammed lift gate that has had this high pitched ringing on the entire time. This isn’t so loud hearing it once or twice for ingress and egress, but with this sound on nonstop, it’s maddening. I go into the car and see if I can easily find a fuse for the lift gate under the lower left panel on the dash, nope, not apparent to me as this my first Subie and first rather smart vehicle – nothing listed rear gate, lift gate, nothing, and it’s not in the owner’s manual from my quick bouncing around from reference to reference. But the manual did show me how to peel off the lift gate’s little center panel and try to manually move the door lock mechanism, but the lever didn’t budge beyond a cm. After scraping the edges of the lift gate door panel opening with my leatherman in trying to force the mechanism to unlock, and also trying to pull apart the one white electrical connection before me to no avail, there was only one final recourse…the actual power source. And yup, only disconnected the negative battery terminal when the incessant ringing stopped. Replaced said connection and the car was back in business, all was well with the world and my beloved new Ascent, didn’t lose my radio station settings either.

This situation is concerning, always the “what if” situation where I require access from the rear gate? Worst case scenario, with the rear gate inoperable both electronically and manually, anything I need back there is lost. Mild case scenario, I can try to pull items through the passenger doors, but what if I have a storage cage, or simply items that only fit through the rear gate.
Had the same issue a week ago and after jumping the battery I read online that pressing the gate button for 5 to 10 seconds it opens. It worked for me and hope next time it will work again without disconnecting the battery.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts