Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
359 Posts
There are several TSBs related to rear gate malfunction issueS, including one from the end of March. I ended up having both the gate control unit and rear gate latch replaced to solve the issue on my 2019 Premium.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TL;DR Power lift gate locked up with constant door chime on, not beeping, just on. Unable to resolve manually or electronically. Had to disconnect battery to resolve. Anyone else had similar issue? Anyone care to read and offer up tips/hints I missed along the way?

I use my lift gate at least 4 times a day, for my work computer bag since my back seats have child seats. Today, I had issues when exiting…my routine is to park, e-brake, hit the push to start button to turn off the ignition, radio is still on but turns off once I open my door, hit the lift gate button on the lower left dash panel, shut driver door, grab work bag, hit gate button on bottom of gate and walk away, hit key fob to lock once I see/hear the gate close. I’m 2K+ miles into my new Ascent Premier w/upgraded wheels and moonroof package as my daily and family commuter, and once at work in the morning today, the lift gate gets stuck and only raised about 10 inches. No problem, I worked through the “setting height” button before, but this wasn’t depressed. I’ve worked though times when I felt the lift gate should open and doesn’t. Luckily, I just pressed the lift gate button on the dash again and the lift gate closed. I held the lift gate button down again and up went the lift gate nicely. Okay onto work.

Fast-forward to arriving at home, same routine, but when I hit the dash lift gate button to open it, and then release it after a couple beeps, the gate sounds some extra beeps and then keeps sounding a constant beep. I look back to find the door hasn’t moved, it’s still closed. I try the manual handle (the fob is always in my pocket) and nothing happens. I try the fob, nothing, I go back and turn on the car, turn off the car, nothing, drive around the block once, nothing, I can lock and unlock the car’s 4 passenger doors using the fob and turn on the alarm, but nothing affects the jammed lift gate that has had this high pitched ringing on the entire time. This isn’t so loud hearing it once or twice for ingress and egress, but with this sound on nonstop, it’s maddening. I go into the car and see if I can easily find a fuse for the lift gate under the lower left panel on the dash, nope, not apparent to me as this my first Subie and first rather smart vehicle – nothing listed rear gate, lift gate, nothing, and it’s not in the owner’s manual from my quick bouncing around from reference to reference. But the manual did show me how to peel off the lift gate’s little center panel and try to manually move the door lock mechanism, but the lever didn’t budge beyond a cm. After scraping the edges of the lift gate door panel opening with my leatherman in trying to force the mechanism to unlock, and also trying to pull apart the one white electrical connection before me to no avail, there was only one final recourse…the actual power source. And yup, only disconnected the negative battery terminal when the incessant ringing stopped. Replaced said connection and the car was back in business, all was well with the world and my beloved new Ascent, didn’t lose my radio station settings either.

This situation is concerning, always the “what if” situation where I require access from the rear gate? Worst case scenario, with the rear gate inoperable both electronically and manually, anything I need back there is lost. Mild case scenario, I can try to pull items through the passenger doors, but what if I have a storage cage, or simply items that only fit through the rear gate.
Add me to the long list of others that have had this issue. I did not try the 10 second button hold suggestion but other than disconnecting battery, I could not get the chime to stop.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts