Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts
Kind of a double-edged sword here...a locking fuel cover is very desirable but at the same time, having it tied to the vehicle locking system (logical and functional) presents a potential security issue for some folks in some situations. Do remember you can re-lock the vehicle with the small button on the tailgate or the sensor on the passenger door, both of which are very close to the two positions folks might stand while fueling. No need to fob the fob for that as long as it's on your person. Figure out what works for you and make it an automatic habit.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
197 Posts
Kind of a double-edged sword here...a locking fuel cover is very desirable but at the same time, having it tied to the vehicle locking system (logical and functional) presents a potential security issue for some folks in some situations. Do remember you can re-lock the vehicle with the small button on the tailgate or the sensor on the passenger door, both of which are very close to the two positions folks might stand while fueling. No need to fob the fob for that as long as it's on your person. Figure out what works for you and make it an automatic habit.
I have no such button or sensors. But it would still require having the door unlocked while I’m not in clear sight of it. It only takes a second for someone waiting to snatch something.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts
I guess you need keyless entry to have the buttons I mentioned. I forgot that's not the case for every Ascent.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I never thought about gas station safety before. Another thing to start worrying about! I prefer the filler on driver side just due to pay at pump convenience, but 2 of my 3 cars have filler door on passenger side and its no big deal. Older corvettes had it on the top of the back deck. Had to be soooo careful not to drip gasoline on the bodywork....

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
743 Posts
Living in NJ I had no idea gas station robberies were a big thing, this is unfortunate! For some reason we can't be trusted to pump our own gas here (good when the weather sucks, not so good when you're in a hurry) so it's something I never really considered, but is good to know when traveling out of state.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Living in NJ I had no idea gas station robberies were a big thing, this is unfortunate! For some reason we can't be trusted to pump our own gas here (good when the weather sucks, not so good when you're in a hurry) so it's something I never really considered, but is good to know when traveling out of state.
Possibly it depends on the kind of neighborhood/town/city where you have to get your gas, perhaps the time of day you have to do your driving, etc.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Late to the party, but I would assume it's not a truck so it's not on the driver's side. From my experience all trucks I've owned are on the left driver because you don't want to be crossing over when towing. That said, all the Subaru I've owned and experience from loaners are right side. By design.

·
Registered
141 Posts
VWs have them on the passenger side too. We have a Passat and had other VWs in the past. I had a truck many years ago that had gas fillers on both sides.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Interesting. When I had a SAAB (about 1977-81) I read somewhere that the ignition switch was between the seats so that if the driver were disabled all of a sudden (like heart attack) the passenger could turn the car off. Also, the hood opened from the back, presumable to prevent the hood from flying up if it was not latched fully. (That happened to me in the left lane of the Sawmill River Parkway in my father's Ford Falcon after a mechanic did not close the hood properly-the good news is that I did not get hit from behind crossing to the right shoulder and I was able to bend the hood enough to continue my trip).

·
Registered
2020 Ascent; 2020 Impreza
3 Posts
I've owned cars with fillers on both sides at the same time. Eventually, I learned to remember which car had the filler on which side. In more recent vehicles, I've learned to check the gas gauge - sometimes they tell you where it is. I prefer it on the passenger side.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad to see the Beetle finally included in the conversation.

My first car was a 1953 VW Beetle set up just like the photo. I had to release the front hood before the gas station attendant (remember them?) could lift it and pump in the gas. That car did not even have a fuel gauge. There was a lever on the center of what would have been the firewall if the engine had been in front. When the engine began to sputter because it was running out of gasoline, I was supposed to kick that lever over to release the fuel reserve. That gave me another 50 miles or so of range to find a gas station. But I jolly well better remember to reset that lever when I filled up.

·
Read Only
59 Posts
The gas filler on the passenger side is normally just a nuisance but with recent gas shortage lines it is dangerous. When you get in line and get to pump you have to turn around to get filler on correct side for pump. 99% of other cars have filler on drivers side.
I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be rude, but I would be embarrassed to post something like this. How long have you been driving cars?

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
184 Posts
Interesting. When I had a SAAB (about 1977-81) I read somewhere that the ignition switch was between the seats so that if the driver were disabled all of a sudden (like heart attack) the passenger could turn the car off. Also, the hood opened from the back, presumable to prevent the hood from flying up if it was not latched fully. (That happened to me in the left lane of the Sawmill River Parkway in my father's Ford Falcon after a mechanic did not close the hood properly-the good news is that I did not get hit from behind crossing to the right shoulder and I was able to bend the hood enough to continue my trip).
Saab put the ignition switch in the center console in order to lessen the chance of keys causing a knee injury in the event of an accident.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suspect that the majority of these posts are from men. It truly is a safety factor for me. I drive all over the country and in many of "shady" larger cities areas, or small one-station towns in the middle of nowhere, I am not comfortable getting out and walking around to the passenger side of the vehicle. On the driver's side, you are able to have a clear view of people approaching. And yes, this has happened to me on more than one occasion. Unpleasant people making unpleasant or threatening comments. Also, If you live in a cold/freezing area, it's a pain to walk around your car, begin to filll, walk back to get inside to stay warm and wait, then walk back to return nozzle to pump. Anyone who lives in MN can verify this. And last, I have never, ever, heard of anyone getting injured or killed while filling from the drivers side on a road. It's logical, but are these really contributed to filling a tank, or just ignorant people standing near the driver's side? Clarify study.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
I suspect that the majority of these posts are from men. It truly is a safety factor for me. I drive all over the country and in many of "shady" larger cities areas, or small one-station towns in the middle of nowhere, I am not comfortable getting out and walking around to the passenger side of the vehicle. On the driver's side, you are able to have a clear view of people approaching. And yes, this has happened to me on more than one occasion. Unpleasant people making unpleasant or threatening comments. Also, If you live in a cold/freezing area, it's a pain to walk around your car, begin to filll, walk back to get inside to stay warm and wait, then walk back to return nozzle to pump. Anyone who lives in MN can verify this. And last, I have never, ever, heard of anyone getting injured or killed while filling from the drivers side on a road. It's logical, but are these really contributed to filling a tank, or just ignorant people standing near the driver's side? Clarify study.
People do get hurt due to gas cap being on the drivers side, pretty sure it was on the FB version of this group someone told how their friend was creamed by a car while they filled up on the drivers side, no they werent standing in the road. I'm female btw and have never felt unsafe because of filling up my car from the passenger side. Just as easy to jump in the back seat and close/lock the door when seeing anyone shady. And if you leave your car filling up while you sit in side where I live, be prepared for someone to try and fill their own car coz you looked down for a second or two. I've also been near missed a few times while filling up a rental car in a gas station on the drivers side and having to stretch the hose over the car.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts