Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
And last, I have never, ever, heard of anyone getting injured or killed while filling from the drivers side on a road. It's logical, but are these really contributed to filling a tank, or just ignorant people standing near the driver's side? Clarify study.
Just to clarify in my earlier post I mentioned that my nephew was severely injured while on the side of the road putting gas inn his car on the driver’s side. Just because you have not heard about it does not mean it does not happen. I have also heard of a few police officers in my area being injured and killed while dealing with traffic infractions by the driver’s door.

·
Super Moderator
3,461 Posts
Keep in mind if you’re getting back into your car while fueling, make sure you discharge any static electricity on you before touching the pump again. This is the most common reason for fires at the pump.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Every time I fill up either the Ascent or the Outback, I mentally thank Subaru for putting the fill on the passenger side.
When I had cars with the tank fill on the driver's side, I would go to the 'wrong' lane, and stretch the hose.
Why?
Because the majority of cars have the fill on the driver's side and the lines for those pumps would be long, while the pumps for those with the passenger side fill would be empty.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,645 Posts
I suspect that the majority of these posts are from men. It truly is a safety factor for me. I drive all over the country and in many of "shady" larger cities areas, or small one-station towns in the middle of nowhere, I am not comfortable getting out and walking around to the passenger side of the vehicle. On the driver's side, you are able to have a clear view of people approaching. And yes, this has happened to me on more than one occasion. Unpleasant people making unpleasant or threatening comments. Also, If you live in a cold/freezing area, it's a pain to walk around your car, begin to filll, walk back to get inside to stay warm and wait, then walk back to return nozzle to pump. Anyone who lives in MN can verify this. And last, I have never, ever, heard of anyone getting injured or killed while filling from the drivers side on a road. It's logical, but are these really contributed to filling a tank, or just ignorant people standing near the driver's side? Clarify study.
Your vehicle in between an oncoming car and or attackers can be your friend.

Anyone occupying a transitional space always should be extra vigilant, maintain safe distances and have a plan.

·
Super Moderator
3,461 Posts
The number of cars with tank fillers on the driver's side is closer to 60%. Subaru states they elected to have the tank filler on the passenger side so that if you have to put gas in the car on the side of the road, you are not standing in traffic.
I remembered this discussion when reading this local article

Ford truck gas caps are on the drivers side for convenience:
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Magenta

So it can and does happen.
This unfortunate example illustrates how Subaru tends to value safety over convenience.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I have also heard of a few police officers in my area being injured and killed while dealing with traffic infractions by the driver’s door.
I don’t know if this is happening everywhere but recently when I see people stopped by police the officer is standing at the front passenger door. A good idea and in retrospect would seems like common sense.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
743 Posts
I don’t know if this is happening everywhere but recently when I see people stopped by police the officer is standing at the front passenger door. A good idea and in retrospect would seems like common sense.
Been seeing that for a few years now (or so it seems) in NJ

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,625 Posts
It's become very common for safety reasons...primarily to insure that LE is at less risk from passing traffic while doing what needs done, but I suspect that it also provides a better view of the driver and what they are doing during the interaction, making for increased safety there, too.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
It's become very common for safety reasons...primarily to insure that LE is at less risk from passing traffic while doing what needs done, but I suspect that it also provides a better view of the driver and what they are doing during the interaction, making for increased safety there, too.
standard safety protocol would to not box yourself in between the vehicle and the pump. I start pumping and walk to the front of the vehicle to maintain a scanning posture. Prior to returning to the pump to return it to the holder, I complete a full scan and do not dawdle. I get back into the vehicle quickly, lock the doors and start the car.

Transitional spaces take extra care to remain safe.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
651 Posts
standard safety protocol would to not box yourself in between the vehicle and the pump. I start pumping and walk to the front of the vehicle to maintain a scanning posture. Prior to returning to the pump to return it to the holder, I complete a full scan and do not dawdle. I get back into the vehicle quickly, lock the doors and start the car.

Transitional spaces take extra care to remain safe.
I guess I've been a bit naive &/or lucky. Of course, living in Oregon I don't pump my own gas all that often anymore anyway, but in 40 years of driving I've honestly never given any thought whatsoever to any of this whilst pumping gas. I've just stood around spacing out while waiting for the tank to fill, or cleaned the front or back windshield if its dirty. Never even knew robberies at gas pumps were even a thing. Certainly can't hurt to be extra vigilant, though, so good to hear other people's thoughts on all of this.

·
Registered
651 Posts
By the way, I'm curious (and again, possibly naive), but for those of you who are extra vigilant regarding safety at gas pumps, is it just a gas station thing, like gas stations are more prone to robbery than other places? Or are the same level of precautions taken at grocery store parking lots ( like when loading the groceries into the car) and other kinds of stores and parking lots? Just curious, because it really is something I'd never even given a moments thought to before reading a lot of these comments. Never too old to learn something new.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
By the way, I'm curious (and again, possibly naive), but for those of you who are extra vigilant regarding safety at gas pumps, is it just a gas station thing, like gas stations are more prone to robbery than other places? Or are the same level of precautions taken at grocery store parking lots ( like when loading the groceries into the car) and other kinds of stores and parking lots? Just curious, because it really is something I'd never even given a moments thought to before reading a lot of these comments. Never too old to learn something new.
for me, all transitional spaces.

You might be surprised at how many attacks occur involving going into your garage, driveway or home front door. These among others are all transitional spaces. Once you start increasing your awareness, you will notice how many others are oblivious to the surroundings and therefore increase their chances at being a victim. It really does not take much effort.

I also know my exits when going into a store or restaurant.

I have no affiliation with this company or site, but rather just googled transitional spaces.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
Having the gas cap on the passenger side is really important here as you approach the metro area from the "suburbs", to not get hit by cars in the traffic lanes.

For instance, this is right inside of the "city/county" borders. VASTLY more people commute in areas like these than not in areas like these. I for one welcome the passenger side fill tube.

So as a numbers game, it makes perfect sense to do something that helps vastly more people stay safe. We've got a LOT of people who get hit filling their tanks when stuck on the side of the road.

Subaru literally does this because the stats show how dangerous the opposite is. I posted the stats someplace in the forums, taken right from their "Fact Books" (check Subaru Japan for the Fact Books, if you're bored).

Cloud Sky Daytime Car Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Plant

·
Super Moderator
5,625 Posts
@Robert.Mauro , just out of curiosity, do right drive Subarus like are using in Japan have the filler on the left?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,516 Posts
I also know my exits when going into a store or restaurant.
Ever since The Godfather I always seated myself in restaurants so I can see the entrance. It took years to train my wife to not grab the seat I needed. Situational awareness will kill an entire generation of people fixated on cell phones and isolated with ear buds.

·
Administrator
12,434 Posts
@Robert.Mauro , just out of curiosity, do right drive Subarus like are using in Japan have the filler on the left?
They don't have a horrible road infrastructure like us, we're the predominant market, they're far nicer to other drivers, and their Eyesight is the next level, including moving to Eyesight X while we're stuck on Eyesight v3 and v4 because of our horrible roads, signs, etc. 😉😭

Numbers put the focus on right hand drive.
White Map World Font Red

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
They don't have a horrible road infrastructure like us, we're the predominant market, they're far nicer to other drivers, and their Eyesight is the next level, including moving to Eyesight X while we're stuck on Eyesight v3 and v4 because of our horrible roads, signs, etc. 😉😭

Numbers put the focus on right hand drive.
View attachment 17716
the data tells it all

·
Super Moderator
5,625 Posts
So I take it the fuel filler is on the same physical side regardless of left-hand drive (us and most of the world) or right-hand drive... :) ?

·
Registered
651 Posts
So I take it the fuel filler is on the same physical side regardless of left-hand drive (us and most of the world) or right-hand drive... :) ?
At first I was thinking that made sense, for it's much easier and cheaper to just have it on the same side for all the cars they make. But then I thought about how having the entire steering column, pedals, etc on a completely different side is probably at least 10 times more complicated a switch than just having the gas filler on the other side, so if you're making cars with the driver on the other side, why wouldn't they go ahead and switch the gas filler too?

·
Super Moderator
5,625 Posts
The switch from left-hand drive to right hand drive is "largely" a matter of installing a different "whole dash" sub-assembly. That's in my mind easier than having different body panels during assembly.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts