Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gas filler on the passenger side is normally just a nuisance but with recent gas shortage lines it is dangerous. When you get in line and get to pump you have to turn around to get filler on correct side for pump. 99% of other cars have filler on drivers side.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,678 Posts
The gas filler on the passenger side is normally just a nuisance but with recent gas shortage lines it is dangerous. When you get in line and get to pump you have to turn around to get filler on correct side for pump. 99% of other cars have filler on drivers side.
48 years of driving without any problem regardless of which side the filler is located. I can also parallel park on either side.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,378 Posts
Because a majority of cars have their fillers on the left side, I prefer my vehicles to have them on the right side. In addition to the side-of-the-road safety benefit, it also means I usually have an open pump at a gas station! Our local Costco has the long hoses, but most franchised Shells, Exxons, etc. do not.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A long time ago Saab (well before GM bought) conducted a study on which side to locate the gas filler. Saab was always a very safety-focused company. Their research indicated a passenger-side filler was safer than a driver-side filler because on more accidents happened to the passenger side. I suspect they considered the filler tube somehow presented more of a chance for flammability. Also, to support the previous comments, I find nearly all service pump hoses will stretch to the opposite side of the car if you park near the pump.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I prefer the filler hole is on the driver side. On previous car (filler hold on driver side), I used to keep the infants on the driver side, and that made sense with protecting my child and myself. With the Ascent, the third kid is on the passenger side with the filler hole, so it's kinda make sense, but I'm more exposed to car or human.

I think some of you never gotten attacked or robbed, so the filler hole doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In Houston, you're more likely to get robbed in the old and new money areas.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
A long time ago Saab (well before GM bought) conducted a study on which side to locate the gas filler. Saab was always a very safety-focused company. Their research indicated a passenger-side filler was safer than a driver-side filler because on more accidents happened to the passenger side. I suspect they considered the filler tube somehow presented more of a chance for flammability. Also, to support the previous comments, I find nearly all service pump hoses will stretch to the opposite side of the car if you park near the pump.
All SAABS (pre and post GM; I’ve owned 4 in a row now) have had the fuel filler on the passenger side in the US market.
Those safety studies were their reasoning for having the ignition between the seat rather than the steering column due to reduced risk of knee injuries from keys/knees impacts. Ouch!

Thanks for the shoutout to SAAB! A truly under rated manufacturer…

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
325 Posts
I prefer the filler hole is on the driver side. On previous car (filler hold on driver side), I used to keep the infants on the driver side, and that made sense with protecting my child and myself. With the Ascent, the third kid is on the passenger side with the filler hole, so it's kinda make sense, but I'm more exposed to car or human.

I think some of you never gotten attacked or robbed, so the filler hole doesn't make a whole lot of sense. In Houston, you're more likely to get robbed in the old and new money areas.
I'm in Vegas so yes people get robbed and attacked more then they should. The side of the filler hole makes little difference. We are told to lock our cars after getting out to stop them trying to steal it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I find that when Costco is backed up that mor folks have a left side fill and the lines for the right side fill are faster.

My nephew ran out of gas a couple months ago on the highway and was putting gas out of a can in the car when he was hit and run. Both legs with multiple fractures, spine cracks (not too bad relatively), swelling of the brain (went down in a couple weeks) and other injuries and countless staples. He is just now able to put some weight on the legs and use crutches. I wish he had a right hand filler and he would have just had a banged up car. But he could have also pulled over on the other side of the road and would have been safe.

With all that said I am really am a bit indifferent to which side the filler is on, that is as long as it is not under the license plate. I had worked for a long time and rented lots of cars all over the world and I am used to looking at the dash for the little arrow before I fill up.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
945 Posts
Why not go back to the cars that used to have their gas filler underneath the rear flip-up license plate? Seems that would kill this debate. :)
Probably kill more than the debate, lol.

I make a habit of looking at the little arrow on the gauge, mostly because of our short stint with an odyssey which has the filler by the driver side sliding door. We have had fillers on both sides, I've never felt the need to blame anyone but myself for not realizing which side I needed close to the pump...but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I find that when Costco is backed up that mor folks have a left side fill and the lines for the right side fill are faster.

My nephew ran out of gas a couple months ago on the highway and was putting gas out of a can in the car when he was hit and run. Both legs with multiple fractures, spine cracks (not too bad relatively), swelling of the brain (went down in a couple weeks) and other injuries and countless staples. He is just now able to put some weight on the legs and use crutches. I wish he had a right hand filler and he would have just had a banged up car. But he could have also pulled over on the other side of the road and would have been safe.

With all that said I am really am a bit indifferent to which side the filler is on, that is as long as it is not under the license plate. I had worked for a long time and rented lots of cars all over the world and I am used to looking at the dash for the little arrow before I fill up.
Jesus, poor guy. I hope they find the culprit and put him up for a while, courtesy of the State!

Here’s hoping he recovers fully!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,678 Posts
I make a habit of looking at the little arrow on the gauge,
I got in the habit of doing that back when my business travel involved rental cars..."assuming" the filler was on a particular size can really bite you when driving an unfamiliar vehicle. LOL

Honestly, it took me a a couple of months to get used to the right-side filler on my Ascent as the Grand Cherokee I drove prior (and all previous vehicles that I can remember) all had left-side filling. It's a no-brainer now and with three Subarus in the family, it's just how it is. :)

Reactions: Donna and RobertD
1 - 20 of 88 Posts