Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I continue to be amazed by my towing mpg!
I thought it’d be fun to see others peoples towing mpg’s in a simple manner.
Tell me a little about your trailer, where you drive and what you get!

I have a 2009 Fleetwood E3 and just got back today from a nice trip up the coast. I live in Southern California. Most trips along the Coastal mountains, not all flat, some grades, but certainly not what I would consider mountain driving, even going up to Mammoth. My trailer is not light (around 4000lbs loaded) and my tongue weight is a constant worry of mine at apprx. 485lbs
But towing has been nothing but a perfect experience with the Ascent! Everything feels super stable.

I always get around 20mpg and I contribute that to 3 things:
1. I certainly have the pop-up advantage of having much less wind resistance.
2. I like to cruise when I tow. Set the Cruise Control to 57mph and relax. Got 2 little kids in the car and don’t want any risk. Even if that means I get there an hour later.
3. The Ascent is amazing!

I love this car!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I went through my records from last year when towing our Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB single axle travel trailer, as we've not been out yet this year. We did three trips here in Michigan. The first one was close to home here in southeastern Michigan to check out the trailer for the first time. The next trip was almost straight west to Lake Michigan and the third was up in the thumb of Michigan to Lake Huron. All towing was done at about 55 mph when speed limits allowed it. The average for the three trips was 15 mpg with the best mpg being 16.7 mpg and the worst 14.1 mpg. The first trip weight was 3,685 lb., second 3,745 lb. and third 3,684 lb. There were winds on some days up to about 15 mph but all of the tows were in sunny weather, no rain, with temperatures in the low 80s. For the most part, the terrain covered was rolling hills, not high climbs of any kind.
From Mid-Michigan up to the Mackinaw bridge at the Straits of Mackinaw there are some pretty good grades involved, but we've not gone up that way yet, but we are planning to soon.
Note that my mpg is actual measured mpg based on miles traveled and gallons returned to the tank and not on what was reported by the head unit in the car.

·
Registered
604 Posts
We have a 2016 jayco jayfeather 7 22bhm. Our trip home last year averaged 12.5 mpg. Our loaded trips were all in the 11-12.5 mpg range. Our last trip up to St. Augustine was 9.9 mpg there and 10.9 back. We were traveling slightly faster than normal, 65 mph vs 55-60mph.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
The frontal profile of your trailer greatly contributes to your fuel economy when towing. I popup or even a small UHaul doesn't affect fuel economy a huge amount...any effect is primarily from weight, rather than wind resistance. You can contrast that with Ruben's example....big trailer, larger frontal area, etc. Much larger impact on fuel economy from both weight and wind resistance.

I got !23.6 towing a small enclosed UHaul trailer 1000 miles from central Florida to my home in SE PA, never exceeding 65 mph and always on ACC unless it wasn't practical/safe or it was pouring rain.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts

I have a 2009 Fleetwood E3 and just got back today from a nice trip up the coast. I live in Southern California. Most trips along the Coastal mountains, not all flat, some grades, but certainly not what I would consider mountain driving, even going up to Mammoth. My trailer is not light (around 4000lbs loaded) and my tongue weight is a constant worry of mine at apprx. 485lbs
But towing has been nothing but a perfect experience with the Ascent! Everything feels super stable.

2. I like to cruise when I tow. Set the Cruise Control to 57mph and relax. Got 2 little kids in the car and don’t want any risk. Even if that means I get there an hour later.

I love this car!

View attachment 4843
View attachment 4845
View attachment 4846
I'm like you. But when d

I love this car!

View attachment 4843
View attachment 4845
View attachment 4846
riv

I love this car!

View attachment 4843
View attachment 4845
View attachment 4846
I'm like you, but when I drive my wife gets nervous when I am on cruise. It seems as if I am crawling and I guess she is still used to the old State trooper mustang (she isn't a trooper, but had the vehicle). You could feel the Mustang almost take off as if on a runway. The Ascent cruises without noise or any convulsions. Hotel on wheels.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm like you, but when I drive my wife gets nervous when I am on cruise. It seems as if I am crawling and I guess she is still used to the old State trooper mustang (she isn't a trooper, but had the vehicle). You could feel the Mustang almost take off as if on a runway. The Ascent cruises without noise or any convulsions. Hotel on wheels.
Yes for sure takes some getting used to to go that slow. Oftentimes getting on the FWY I accelerate to 65 quickly and have to catch myself that I'm towing.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I only do short utility trailer runs, but its a heavy dump trailer and at 8 miles a run, haven't had a full tankful with trailer. And it's full of up and down hills, the insta gauge says it's sucking fuel !

·
Registered
926 Posts
~16mpg with 3,500lb pop up camper

~15mpg with 4,500lb Flatbed trailer with Mustang on it

For reference my GMC 2500 would get 15mpg towing the same pop up. It would also only get 16-17mpg normally on the highway.
And 9-11mpg towing the 9,500lb 31ft fifth wheel.

Air resistance is the killer. My pop up is very wide, so it sticks out. It's also tall and sticks up above my Ascent a little bit. But a travel trailer is still going to be much worse.

Smaller popups "draft" the car pretty well, so see a much smaller hit because of air resistance.

Reactions: Schwalbster

·
Registered
9 Posts
We got 14 mpg bringing it home from Alabama to SC with about 15 gallons of fresh water in it, then 11 - 12 mpg on a trip to eastern SC with our stuff in it, then I dumped the water and got 13.7 mpg on a trip to SW Georgia. Trailer is a Gulf Stream Vintage Cruiser 19CSK, 3400 dry weight, 340 hitch weight with about 500 pounds of stuff in it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just towed a Uhaul 8x5 enclosed utility trailer from High Point NC to Syracuse NY.and averaged 18 mpg. With our Starcraft 182RB travel trailer (8' wide model) I average 12 mpg, with a mix of highway and secondary road driving. However, if there is a head wind, it can easily drop to 10 mpg. We have a 2019 Touring model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just back from a 1250 mile round trip from Sisters Oregon to the Middle Fork of the Salmon river in Idaho. Maybe 90 miles of rough gravel roads, a handful of passes, towing a trailer with 13' raft and 8 days of supplies. 65 mph for maybe 80% of the trip. Who knows what the shuttle driver was doing. 22.9 mpg overall. Very happy! Plus it was a great trip!

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
Just towed a Uhaul 8x5 enclosed utility trailer from High Point NC to Syracuse NY.and averaged 18 mpg.
I pulled the same trailer from central Florida to SE PA at 23.6 mpg last summer...I-95 all the way. 65 mph. The trailer was lightly loaded, however...not heavy stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the responses so far. It's interesting. Wind resistance really seems to be a huge factor. Makes me extra happy to have a pop-up (I'm not gonna lie, it would be nice to not always have that extra set-up/breakdown time, but really it's only a small part of the whole process)

·
Super Moderator
4,161 Posts
Wind resistance is a major factor for fuel economy across the board...including with things like roof-top boxes, bike racks, etc. Even driving with your windows open can be detrimental to fuel economy because of wind resistance. Put a trailer behind...yup...the wind from moving forward comes into play proportionate to the area of the trailer front, its angle, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone used a wind deflector across the roof to direct the flow up to clear the leading edge of a trailer? There’s a lot of turbulence between the face of the trailer and the back of the Ascent. Speed is an enemy while towing as are headwinds. My trailer tows easily yet the mileage is cut in half.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We got 15.5mpg towing our Casita Liberty Deluxe over 4000+ miles from Texas to NC to central NY to Maine and back to Chicago.
There’s lots of hills/mountains and windy weather. I set the cruise to 65 & used AC when needed.
I was pleased with the mileage and the handling while towing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts