Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading this forum and some YouTubing, I was set on getting A Thule Force Motion XXL box, but coulnd’t find any in stock near me anywhere or online that would ship. I was able to source the Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite and some Subaru Aero bars for the month long vacation starting yesterday. We certainly put the box through its paces on the 11hour drive, with at least half of that being down pouring rain. It came through with flying colors. I’ve grown to like the look vs. the Thule as well. My only complaint is that there is really no easy way for one person to wield this thing. No handles or anything which I believe the Thule has fixed. Otherwise very happy. Images in case anyone is curious how it looks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for posting. I started shopping around for a Thule Motion XT XL and quickly realized they cannot be found anywhere at the moment. Apparently, with everyone camping this summer Thule can't keep up with demand on just about any of their boxes. I will have to check out the Yakima Skybox 21 as it should be able to accommodate longer skis.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the same thing, we leave it on all year because it is just too much to move, and store. One of the nice things about Yakima is their lifetime warranty. I had a problem with one of their boxes and they wanted to just send me a whole new box. After some negotiation I got them to just send the replacement parts I needed. They sent me 2 of the broken part (I only needed 1) just in case it broke again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have a Skybox 21 also. I have it hanging on a pulley system in our garage that was perfect to lower onto our Outback. Now with the Ascent upgrade it doesnt fit into the garage with it on the car. I use a small pillow and rest it on my head, lower the box a little to just below head height so I can feel and find the balance point. From there I unclip the straps holding it and carry it out to the car. Having Yakima bars that extend out 4-6" makes it easier to set it on when loading by myself. Otherwise I get a second set of hands to lift on the opposite end to get it on and off the car. Having the pulley system is nice because you don't have to pick it stright up from off the ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any issues with the rear hatch opening all the way?
None on our end. We even slid it back a bit once on the Yakima bars so it wouldn't hang too far over the front end. I think ours is all the way back with our bar system and have about 1-1.5' of clearance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our garage is tall enough to drive in with clearance, but I think I will look into the pulley system idea.

As for clearance from the hatch, in the photos I have about 4” of space. The Subaru aero bars are adjustable and the box clamps slide fore and aft also. I have more time to mess with it after initial use, so I’ll probably adjust them slightly back to the 1-1.5” as stated above.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did your driving experience change with the skybox? More wind noise or car movement with it on? It looks great btw on your ascent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wind noise was noticeable early on, but not unforgettable or impactful along the 11hr ride, if that makes sense. We made the same drive in December without the box for personal comparison.

I didn’t track MPG though either trip, if that matters to anyone. I needed the storage regardless, so MPG loss doesn’t matter to me much. I see it as a cost of doing business.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need to order a box but I am still trying to decide on which crossbars to use. I have the stock ones now that do not lock. Which ones did you use with your setup?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have to say the Yakima looks good!

I was debating between Skybox 21 and the Thule Force Motion XXL as well. I ended up ordering the Thule back in June as my wife preferred the look and I'm still waiting for it. Luckily I ordered it early knowing we were traveling in late August and it is due here on Aug 18th. For those looking to buy REI does run 20% off deals on them which is when I ordered mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need to order a box but I am still trying to decide on which crossbars to use. I have the stock ones now that do not lock. Which ones did you use with your setup?
I have the stock bars purchased from Amazon. Didnt really give the non-locking bars much though until you mentioned it. I guess someone could steal the box (and contents) with a simple star key as is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the stock bars purchased from Amazon. Didnt really give the non-locking bars much though until you mentioned it. I guess someone could steal the box (and contents) with a simple star key as is.
Maybe it is not a big deal? It would take a bit of effort to get the box off so maybe it would be left alone.

·
Registered
633 Posts

if someone wants something really really bad they will take it no matter how secure it is.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Yakima box is great. I've seen 1-2 MPG drop when its up there, but still better off than the Suburban we had before! I store it on the side of the house (added brackets to wall and have it hung there and just have my son help me lift it onto the car. Easy install and removal for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.