Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a YAKIMA RocketBox 15s Rooftop Cargo Box

I have 3 choices of cross bars:
Brightlines - $100
Cross Bars - Aero - $185
Yakama - $220

I like the Yakama for the looks. Do I need an additional adapter? Otherwise, I am leaning towards Brightlines.
Any thoughts suggestions

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I use Yakima Timberline towers on my Ascent, which appear to be what is used in the preceding photo. Coupled with their Jetstream crossbars they serve me well as a means to transport an inflatable boat. The less expensive options, if made for the Ascent, should work fine for your application as long as you adhere to their weight limitations, which as we all know, Yakima systems have as well.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Besides aesthetics, what is the advantage of Yakama over the cheaper alternatives?
Guaranteed compatibility with most their products. However, if your only running a box then go with a cheaper bars. I have attachments for bikes and snowboards. I also run a Thule Ascent Cargo Box. I can get 4 bikes up there at least. Maybe 5 with the right combination of bike carriers. Barring also the weight of all the bikes. The Jetstreams that I have, I can take advantage of the t-slots with my bike trays to utilize the entire crossbar. They are relatively quiet without any accessory attached. I don’t have to run a fairing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For the Yakama setup, I would need to purchase Timerline Towers: $225+$220. $445.
Deciding if I should spend 4x for what I really need which is just putting my Skybox.

·
Registered
271 Posts
For the Yakama setup, I would need to purchase Timerline Towers: $225+$220. $445.
Deciding if I should spend 4x for what I really need which is just putting my Skybox.
Exactly. Yakima and Thule (Subaru branded accessories) products tend to be pricey.
If a box is all you are doing, then anything that will safely allow you to attach the Skybox to will work. For us, I needed extra space on the crossbar to hold a cargo box and a bike right next to it. Future, I want to do a cargo box and the Yakima Skinny Warrior side by side. The bars also needed to be rated to carry the weight.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thankyou for your responses. I went with Cross Bars - Aero - $185. I am planning to do a road trip in August from NY to Utah. I am excited!
Ooooh, what parts of Utah? I did some extensive off-roading and overlanding in Utah - it's a great place for it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.