Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes one does on the 87. Not working too nice. I think he said he will switch to 89.

Well with bad gas, you will see it in the log. Not here. She is good. I will get him to add a bottle of lucas and see.
If you need another tester I would be willing to buy a tactrix cable. I've been running 93 for about 10000 miles now, but i do have a custom made intake.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
87 Octane on the Test #3 Ascent

If you need another tester I would be willing to buy a tactrix cable. I've been running 93 for about 10000 miles now, but i do have a custom made intake.
Noted. Add yourself to our whatsapp group to see how you can help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Update Test Ascent #2:

We release the boost version rom to both #2 and #3 testers. Unfortunately I have to wait until tomorrow for results.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Ok guys. I think the first release with no boost control we will have as Stage 0 for those customers who wants to fix the general issues. Stage 1 (the true stage 1 w/ boost increase by 2 psi) we are working on now. So far I am happy with the results and will be using another test car as a video Ascent. Per usual, we will have to wait until that customer has all the tools.I will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Critical update:

The ascent boost control seems to be pretty nonexistent in this model. Actual the map is 0. Is it possible that the controllers are defective or the turbo manages boost from a wastegate spring?

I can see the wastegate moving but no boost control. I will away a physical review of the turbocharged system by one of the customers.

From that pic, the WG seems to be mechanical.

·
Registered
266 Posts
87 Octane on the Test #3 Ascent

View attachment 2084

Noted. Add yourself to our whatsapp group to see how you can help.
Comparing this torque plot vs. the one COBB just published I can see a huge difference: this dyno run shows 160 ft-lb of torque at 2000 rpm, and grows slowly from there up to 213 max. at 3500 rpms. The COBB plot shows it starting at more than 200 at 2000 rpm and grows to a maximum at only 2300 rpm that's in line with the manufacturer specs of 277 lb-ft. Both plots seem to be torque at the wheel, why the difference? Was this dyno done at a non-AWD dyno perhaps?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Also digging back an old thread with a dyno video, I can read from the dyno screen 258lb-ft of torque at 2600 rpms,and the torque curve looks a lot like the COBB plot: a peak then goes down a bit and flat after that.
Can anyone explain why the difference between this dyno plot and the others?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
This dyno was done on the road and based on vehicle speed and not rpm. When it comes to the CVT, that is better. The loading is different. When I took the logs from the dyno, I cannot even produce the software dyno. Also the customer highlighted the gas usage on the dyno was different to that on the road, which was not surprising. At the end of the day, it is comparison to the baseline taken and through tuning, optimised the curve and the response of the engine.

In the final scheme of things, running a nice quarter mile confirms the final power figures.

Reviewing the logs from the Mustang Dyno, see the loading based on the boost curve:

Please see the one from the road below- completely different. Real life data inclusive of all elements against the vehicle as it drives on the road.
You will have to ask yourself, do you feel that spike/rush?

Below is road loading and from logs taken last night.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
A what? Cobb has to make it safe to load on all models. It is then for us Cobb Protuners to finalised it. This is a road tune with no smoothing. I am going to slow down logging on the customer laptop. It states on the graph if you can read it.

Going forward we will be pushing customers to use the Cobb Ascent AP, once there are willing to go. The AP has the support for what we need in terms of logging and direct access to vehicle operations.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Working on another 2019 #Subaru #Ascent tuning it to a boost just over 1.5psi over stock boost. The next rom is to refine the 2500-3500 range. It is the only model where I see the throttle closes during the pull a bit. So we will try traction control off to verify. Otherwise more tuning.

The stock run gave 193. After all its a baseline.

Run is on 91 octane

·
Registered
559 Posts
Is the 2500-3500 what I interpret as a "lull" in acceleration as I'm coming off a stop light? That lull is annoying. It seems to be right when the fake shift occurs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
No this one is at full throttle. I will ask my group about this feeling and see if I can determine. The issues from the log and resolve it if I can.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Is the 2500-3500 what I interpret as a "lull" in acceleration as I'm coming off a stop light? That lull is annoying. It seems to be right when the fake shift occurs.
Look at your RPM. With any significant throttle input it will be well above 2k. The only time the engine is at 2k is with relatively small throttle inputs or if you put it in a high gear in manual mode. 2-3k power is basically irrelevant because you're never in the rpm range with major throttle inputs.

There is notable turbo lag taking off from a stop with significant throttle. Small throttle inputs from a stop, like most do driving around town, makes the turbo lag not that noticeable.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Next up is driver experience - if we have the time. My aim is the research of the engine for potential FA24DIT's tuning in other models. If I cannot effect the Ascent per our history in tuning of auto models, then it wouldn't make sense except to help the community in modding endeavours and any other support I can give.

On another note, we had a customer taking his Ascent throughout the mountainous areas with his wife not keeping off the throttle. Thats good to hear, but to me, I haven't achieve the optimum feel I want. Thats just my Principle in tuning. Personally...I am running out of time I gave for the research. But I am happy the tuning research and results came in weeks - due to delays. Now with Cobbs and the experience behind the FA24DIT Ascent, delivering tunes to those needing more is very much possible.

Going forward, I will post anything that can help the community, especially if my group reach out to me. I have a busy schedule in my other career.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts