Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes. Because of inconsistencies of runs, I have not posted. But I get you. Usually you get tq changes.
I think what everyone wants to see is a clear graph showing the HP/TQ of a stock Ascent vs. your tune. What boost is vs stock.

Also, those videos really don't help when they are supposed to be 0-60 pulls but are actually like 14-60 and 20-60 pulls, I can't really see a difference in power. The engine noise sounds exactly the same in both videos, I do not hear a more throaty engine, it sounds just like mine.

Sorry I am being negative, but I don't really see what this tune does....other than maybe having warranty issues.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
He stated he will dyno Thursday. The videos as stated will never show much because is practically stock. Let see how the stock and tune runs goes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is the most interested I've been on a thread in Ascentforums.

I am very happy with the new tune. It give me power from 20 to 50 and 60 to 80. Much smoother driving in traffic and I have been getting better mileage, (orig was about 18 to 19) part of that due to lift and tires.
What new mpg numbers are you seeing now?

The engine noise sounds exactly the same in both videos, I do not hear a more throaty engine, it sounds just like mine.
I thought the same, but cell phone recording capabilities are so awful, along with YouTube compression, it will all sound the same. The only difference to be heard would only be in person.

Ed, on the XRT site, it was stated, "If XRT had to tune, we would run 18-20psi in the sweet spot and taper down to an efficient boost of 15-16psi at 5600rpm". Is that what Chuck is seeing on the tune he's running?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I thought the same, but cell phone recording capabilities are so awful, along with YouTube compression, it will all sound the same. The only difference to be heard would only be in person.
Does just a tune even have the capability to change the sound that much? I thought you would need either an intake, or change the exhaust setup.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
No I haven't change the boost in this tune to a large extent. I will leave that for the other two guys. I Tuned based on chuck needs and his ability to drive. What I did was to bring power in early like all of my tunes. So far I see power to 280+ but since the roads have not been consistent, I ignore them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does just a tune even have the capability to change the sound that much? I thought you would need either an intake, or change the exhaust setup.
That's a good question. To be honest, I'd assume "No", but I've only had tunes done to heavily modified vehicles, so I personally can't say for sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think what everyone wants to see is a clear graph showing the HP/TQ of a stock Ascent vs. your tune. What boost is vs stock.

Also, those videos really don't help when they are supposed to be 0-60 pulls but are actually like 14-60 and 20-60 pulls, I can't really see a difference in power. The engine noise sounds exactly the same in both videos, I do not hear a more throaty engine, it sounds just like mine.

Sorry I am being negative, but I don't really see what this tune does....other than maybe having warranty issues.
No Problem, as I said before ,My technical skills are almost ZERO. My wife says my video skills are even worse. Good that you are asking questions. Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
That's a good question. To be honest, I'd assume "No", but I've only had tunes done to heavily modified vehicles, so I personally can't say for sure.
Yes with AVCS changes and fueling. it can be suttle to loud, depending on the exhaust, fuel etc.

just hold you all questions until the others come on board.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is the most interested I've been on a thread in Ascentforums.

What new mpg numbers are you seeing now?

Ed, on the XRT site, it was stated, "If XRT had to tune, we would run 18-20psi in the sweet spot and taper down to an efficient boost of 15-16psi at 5600rpm". Is that what Chuck is seeing on the tune he's running?
New Mileage is 21 to 22 mpg with how I drive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
But I been thinking of the stage 0 suggestion, but because of the type of vehicle, I call it so. reason being, most complaints is with the lag, fuel eco and traffic passing. I don't see the vehicle having a lot of available mods and if so, maybe exhaust etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
Another Subaru Ascent stock 3rd gear pull. I may need to slow down logging since the ecu seems to not provide the data at the 4000rpm point. She seems busy doing something.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Update to Chuck's info.

Just let me say, I pride XRT on integrity, which builds confidence.

When I first started review stock logs of Chucks data, the Speed virtual Dyno came out to be 165+whp. I found that strange and assumed this is for CVT cars and added a factor in the dyno to equate to 214whp etc., since all other data flows says it should be around that point. In addition to the only one physical dyno posted, I saw 200+whp, so that factor seems ok. That being said, it was not until yesterday that the data from the Dyno highlighted those low figures and possibly the ability to make power an issue.

Speaking with the XRT Ascent group and private msg to other owners, I understand that not all Ascents are created equal. Below is the correct data of his car.
To date, we have another Ascent I started to work on and it starts out 200+whp immediately and this owner even highlighted testing a few Ascent that was even weaker to his own.

In tuning, I noticed I raised the boost and adjusted the wastegate. I can see changes to the waste gate and yet no real boost changes, except to peaks showing through a semi driving log. I am awaiting a gear pull to see now if anything has changes a bit. So in all analysis, having more models to work with is key. Hopefully this other Ascent can start today, if possible.

Text Line Plot Slope Diagram

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Updated of on the Subaru Ascent Tuning:

I added 2 more testers. The first one have the first release of the tune that does not include boost yet. The other user have to get me his stock logs and then load the first release.

Away feedback later on today.

Update from test # 2 which is in line with Chuck who was the #1 tester

Text Font Brand

Text Font Brand Logo

·
Registered
213 Posts
Very interested in this. Wonder if your tester has crappy gas in his car. I had the same issue when i did my very first tune on my frs. I went to a dyno day and I had the lowest numbers out of all the cars that were there(FRS/BRZ dyno day) even completely stock cars. I had a tune/frontpipe(no cat)/intake. Could not figure out what the problem was until we noticed that the timing was way off. I switched gas stations and 2 weeks later went back to the same dyno shop and ran high numbers. Just a thought.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Yes one does on the 87. Not working too nice. I think he said he will switch to 89.

Well with bad gas, you will see it in the log. Not here. She is good. I will get him to add a bottle of lucas and see.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts