Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried X-mode for the first time today. There was about 0.5 inches of snow on a flat surface, but thought I would try it.

When it's on, there is a vibration/grinding feeling in the gas pedal and brake pedal. I only went under 10 MPH with it, but especially when applying the break or accelerating the vibration/grinding is noticeable, when I think it's shifting gears. It's very noticeable, and not something I have ever felt driving the vehicle when not in X-mode.

Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
Since we have a CVT it doesn't exactly shift gears like an automatic transmission would.
One noise I've noticed in X-mode is from the brakes. The hill descent mode keeps the brakes applied and it feels and sounds like ABS, just without the heavy braking normally associated with ABS activating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since we have a CVT it doesn't exactly shift gears like an automatic transmission would.
One noise I've noticed in X-mode is from the brakes. The hill descent mode keeps the brakes applied and it feels and sounds like ABS, just without the heavy braking normally associated with ABS activating.
It DOES have the same feeling as when ABS is on while a car is sliding on ice. I was going on a flat surface when I noticed this issue.

Hoping others have had this too, and it's normal.

·
Super Moderator
2,586 Posts
It DOES have the same feeling as when ABS is on while a car is sliding on ice. I was going on a flat surface when I noticed this issue.

I actually just posted about this the other day. I used X-mode as a substitute for cruise control on a level surface at 4mph to watch Christmas lights. Every once in a while I got the ABS-sounding vibration as it kept me creeping slowly.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts

Don't worry, It's entirely 100% normal regardless of road surface.

12mph or under, it will be in hill descent mode and ABS brake you to a certain speed. At any speed X-Mode supports (up to 20mph), it will use ABS to ensure power split.

X-Mode using ABS for those functions makes the car seem like it's vibrating.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
FWIW, the manual says:

. The hill descent control function
may be considered normal when the
following conditions occur.
– An operating sound is heard
briefly from the engine compartment
while the hill descent control
function is operating.
– The sensation of depressing the
brake pedal is different, (harder than
usual etc.) when the brake pedal is
depressed during hill descent control
function operation.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Interesting, I did notice this very slightly in my harrowing drive home (mentioned elsewhere) a week ago, but I attributed it to the snow conditions I was in. Didn't bother me at all and it kept the car's momentum more steady than I could feathering the brakes myself downhill ( and for throttle going uphill also).

My F-Pace has this system also, but haven't taken that out in the white stuff yet (don't have winter wheels and tires yet, and I don't feel like killing myself or anyone else driving in snow with hi-po all season tires), so I don't know how it'll do- it's the Land Rover system so it should do pretty well once I have the right tires on the car.

I am very thankful for all these safety systems.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
Interesting, I did notice this very slightly in my harrowing drive home (mentioned elsewhere) a week ago, but I attributed it to the snow conditions I was in.
Ironically, the snow kinda dampens the feeling and sound.

I guess that makes sense when I think about it, since snow absorbs sound. But I hadn't actually thought about it until now.

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's hard to describe, but it's kind of like that semi crunchy slippery sound/ feeling you get when you're walking or standing/ sliding on certain types of snow, with your feet slipping and sometimes gripping the chunks of snow under your feet. It was definitely subtle but I did notice it, and attributed it to the snow. In truth, as I was watching cars sliding all over the place as we were inching along, I honestly wasn't thinking about the mechanics of how the system worked :). It was great because it allowed me to focus on steering, and not having to do any heroics with the brakes or gas. Watching the Audi in front of me slide sideways down the right hand side of the road as I slowly went around him on the left made me realize how good the system was. It got me up and down mountains that other cars couldn't make it through, this on the factory falkens. Now that I've finally got my good winter tires on, I'll be ready for anything.
I realize most people will probably use it in the mud, but don't forget about it when it snows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts