Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is purely anecdotal, but the exhaust my Ascent seems to be high in both quantity and stinkiness! Anyone else feel like the car puts out extra exhaust than “normal”? Or that it is particularly gag-inducing? I know this is qualitative, and the answers will vary between former Prius owners and former F350 owners...but maybe someone out there works for DEQ and has tested their Ascent! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure about the exhaust, but I am noticing a gas smell inside the car; and it seems to be worse when the back heater is on... anyone else noticing this??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there really no one else who finds the exhaust from the Ascent particularly voluminous and stinky? Maybe I need something "tuned" (I know nothing about this stuff).

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
Is there really no one else who finds the exhaust from the Ascent particularly voluminous and stinky? Maybe I need something "tuned" (I know nothing about this stuff).
Other than a lot of steam off and on (and depending on how long the car has sat), you shouldn't have voluminous amounts of exhaust.

As for "stinky" exhaust, what does it smell like?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think I know what the OP is talking about and it does smell a bit but not as bad as my 300K mile 4Runner w/ an inefficient aftermarket cat. My Ascent does NOT have the PZEV decal like my wife's Forester, therefore I assume the smell is due to NOx (nitric oxide or nitrogen dioxide) pollutants during engine warming up.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I haven't noticed any particular "aroma" to it... but it does definitely seem to pump out a lot more exhaust than other cars I've owned. Its like walking thru fog to go around the back of it to the driver's door.

Reactions: MaxieScruf

·
Registered
80 Posts
I haven't noticed any particular "aroma" to it... but it does definitely seem to pump out a lot more exhaust than other cars I've owned. Its like walking thru fog to go around the back of it to the driver's door.
yes I concur. it pumps out a lot of fumes especially on the morning warming up routine. May be I am saying this because my other car is a hybrid. It smells like pure gas/ ethanol burning but much more pronounced( may due to the amount)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I am particularly amused by Subaru owners, who when describing their Ascents make reference to the engine type. I guess it is a special trait particular to Subaru owners. I totally understand using those terms as a descriptor for the Outback, since it has two engine options. However, as far as I know the Ascent only has one engine. Carry on!

·
Registered
104 Posts
It seems one of the reasons that the Ascent throws out some volume out of the exhaust at start is because it high idles every time you start it, no matter the outside temp. It is slightly annoying.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I drive surface streets to take my wife to work about 5 miles. Then I return on the highway. If I step on the gas hard the exhaust is like a fog machine. It does this twice and after that no fog. Anyone else see this happening?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I drive surface streets to take my wife to work about 5 miles. Then I return on the highway. If I step on the gas hard the exhaust is like a fog machine. It does this twice and after that no fog. Anyone else see this happening?
I have noticed the same thing with mine. I live about 3 miles from a highway and as the on ramp is short I need to accelerate quickly and I noticed that it puts out a ton of steam (I think) to the point others seem to back away.

I figure it is just a large burn off of water still in the pipes getting turned to steam all at once as the engine isn't 100% up to temp.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Crosstrek does the same thing with one exhaust pipe. The Ascent has double the amount. Both settle down after getting to operating temperature.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, it usually happens in the mornin when it starts. For me, it was quite strong hazy with hume smell few days ago. Camry never had that before..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts