Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, pre-orders supposedly accounted for 11,000 Ascent sales. As I predicted, Ascent sales would trend upwards for quite a time. They still are.

December saw 7,733 Ascents being sold. Based on these numbers, there have been 47,000 Ascents sold through December (and we will soon find out the January numbers).

Wow.

Subaru Ascent US car sales figures

This is part of why I always find it interesting when certain publications keep posting "sales stagnating" nonsense, especially since Subaru has seen 10 consecutive years of sales growth (no one else has).

Doesn't look like Subaru's success is going to slow down any time soon! :smile:

·
Registered
646 Posts
feb may be nice if tax returns aren't delayed :)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aren't we all??? :)

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It makes sense, build it and they will come.

Many critics feel that the Ascent is the best SUV in its class and has set the bar for the others. I didn't find anything else even close to what I wanted. All the right features, the best AWD, and it even looks great.

·
Registered
944 Posts
It makes sense, build it and they will come.

Many critics feel that the Ascent is the best SUV in its class and has set the bar for the others. I didn't find anything else even close to what I wanted. All the right features, the best AWD, and it even looks great.
When I bought my 2017 Outback the salesman I was chatting with while paperwork was being finished was going on about the upcoming Ascent. He was excited and talked about how much market research they put into it and how they didn't rush it out after the Tribeca "disaster". When my situation changed and I no longer needed 2 vehicles, I was able to combine both my 2018 GMC Canyon and 2017 Outback into 1 vehicle that "does it all".

If they address the cupholders (front ones that adjust), fix some glitchy headunit errors, tighten all the bolts on the turbo and fix the few transmission problems, they'll have a hit for years to come.

I love mine!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Robert:

I think I remember reading in one of the car magazines last year that, if the Ascent was really well received, Subaru's Indiana plant had the production capacity to do about 60,000 cars per year. Sounds like that is almost exactly what is happening??

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or even more than capacity

Robert:

I think I remember reading in one of the car magazines last year that, if the Ascent was really well received, Subaru's Indiana plant had the production capacity to do about 60,000 cars per year. Sounds like that is almost exactly what is happening??
At this rate, they will likely exceed that capacity. But, yes, the plant is limited to 60,000 Ascents a year. EPA regulations and such.

Their full sales months (July through December) total 34,314 cars. That's six months, or 5,719 cars a month. Expanding that to one year would be 68,628 cars, or, 8,628 cars over "capacity".

Alas, similar happened when the Gen 5 Outback was released.

This will be interesting to watch. Considering their last ten years of sales figures, I know where I am placing my bet, and very very happy that I pre-ordered, lol! :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Based on the current averages and trends the Ascent should see at least 60,000 in sales for 2019. I'd guess they're going to be closer to 80,000 if they can produce them which would put them right next to the Honda Pilot. Subaru has to be ecstatic with these numbers thus far.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Not only is the Ascent doing well, but I am willing to bet that the 2019 Forester will be Killing it as well. Follow this all up with a new 2020 Outback and I think Subaru will be doing very well in sales for the next few years.

We have been looking at the new Forester very closely. With each model seemingly growing slightly larger with each new generation, my wife may end up going from a 2017 OB to a new Gen Forester when we trade next. Waiting for the 2020 OB before that decision is made. She loves her OB (replaced a 2014). The only thing she really wants is a heated steering wheel, aside from that, she is quite happy.

Subaru seems to know their market and are getting people to slowly come over from other makes. My wife was never brand loyal, but in Nov 2013, she test drove the OB and I doubt she will drive any other make. Me, not as much brand loyal. Just wish the Ascent made the 6001 GVW for tax purposes.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It's great their numbers are growing...I guess, but also means the cars are going to become more cookie cutter to appeal to the masses, which has already started to happen, It's inevitable:(

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
35 Posts
It may not be inevitable, but it is a difficult path to find.

One of the most humble and heart touching things I ever read was Warren Buffett's letter to investors at the heart of the Dot Com boom. He admitted that the world may have passed him by (that was a common thread in the press), and that he certainly understood if investors wanted their money back, but he couldn't in good conscience deviate from what he understood and what had built Berkshire Hathaway. Less than a year later the bubble burst and he looked like a genius, but it takes a lot of heart to stay true to what made you successful.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It may not be inevitable, but it is a difficult path to find.

One of the most humble and heart touching things I ever read was Warren Buffett's letter to investors at the heart of the Dot Com boom. He admitted that the world may have passed him by (that was a common thread in the press), and that he certainly understood if investors wanted their money back, but he couldn't in good conscience deviate from what he understood and what had built Berkshire Hathaway. Less than a year later the bubble burst and he looked like a genius, but it takes a lot of heart to stay true to what made you successful.
It seems a lot of companies are run to be the biggest and baddest in their arena, but he seems to run things out of a true interest in his craft rather than boosting his ego and smashing competitors.
You're right seems like a super humble guy and wish there were more like him.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I seriously wonder if the Gen 6 Outback will slump a little bit in sales due to the Ascent.

Then if the Legacy ever gets chopped, what will become of the OB? Will they pull a Forester and just turn it into an SUV rather than a wagon? It would make a nice competitor to the Honda Passport. I hope they manage to keep the wagon alive!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Legacy seems to sell about 40-50k units a year. Not sure they would cut it as that's not terrible.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, the WHOLE picture is INSANE!

I seriously wonder if the Gen 6 Outback will slump a little bit in sales due to the Ascent.

Then if the Legacy ever gets chopped, what will become of the OB? Will they pull a Forester and just turn it into an SUV rather than a wagon? It would make a nice competitor to the Honda Passport. I hope they manage to keep the wagon alive!
Possibly, but, overall from the sales numbers, even with the Ascent nipping from the Foz, Leggy and OB, sales are up considerably. And, as we all discussed elsewhere, the OB sales dip is possibly also due to people waiting for the Gen 6 next year. And Foz sales dipped before the 2019 was released.

TOTAL: -35,353

OTOH:
  • Crosstrek went UP 34,246.
  • Ascent sales (including 11,000 pre-orders) are currently 47,211.
TOTAL: +81,457

All total, considering all models, Subaru finished the year with 43,179 more vehicles sold in 2018 vs 2017 (this includes the 11,000 Ascent Feb-June pre-orders that are not tracked with regular sales).

That's insane growth.

So, though Foz and OB sales are possibly a bit down due to the Ascent being released, it's apparently not a big deal or big impact.

Every month I see at least one article claiming Subaru's sales have stagnated. Here's to MANY more years of their sales "stagnating" with such ridiculous increases in volume!!! :grin:

·
Registered
965 Posts
The only thing she really wants is a heated steering wheel, aside from that, she is quite happy.

Subaru seems to know their market and are getting people to slowly come over from other makes. My wife was never brand loyal, but in Nov 2013, she test drove the OB and I doubt she will drive any other make. Me, not as much brand loyal. Just wish the Ascent made the 6001 GVW for tax purposes.
OP32 Limited Forester has heated steering wheel - speaking from experience. (My wife has a 2019 Forester in that trim level - we traded up from a 2015 Forester.)

·
Registered
965 Posts
So, though Foz and OB sales are possibly a bit down due to the Ascent being released, it's apparently not a big deal or big impact.

Every month I see at least one article claiming Subaru's sales have stagnated. Here's to MANY more years of their sales "stagnating" with such ridiculous increases in volume!!! :grin:
The actual official marketing launch for the 2019 Forester hasn't even happened yet - it's mid February. We already can't keep them on the lots now. Same with the Ascents.

We do project that our sales will increase for the year, it's just that we do expect our monthly sales increase streak to end later this spring simply because supply cannot keep up with demand. Crosstrek and Forester are selling strong - all I have to do is look at how many days supply we have. We're selling more cars each month than we get in - we're getting back to the days of a few years ago where we'll have less than 30 days supply. Which if you know anything about the auto industry, is LEAN. Most companies try to have at least 45 - 60 days supply. We'll just keep riding the wave.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts