Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 3 4.7%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’m about to either buy an ascent or forester. Car it’s replacing was a Honda Odyssey- I didn’t want my wife to get another Honda but.... not a happy experience.

I accidentally went to a scam review site which lets people rate things until the company pays the site to fix it. What I saw about the Subaru complaints scared me so either I need regular owners feedback - not the conflicted posters I keep seeing- AFTER BUYING AND DRIVING THE VEHICLE WOULD YOU STILL BUY IT?

DOES SUBARUS NUMEROUS PROBLEMS WITH TRANSMISSIONS AND HEAD GASKETS MAKE YOU NERVOUS?

I’m not looking for the company comparisons like this or that company had this or that problem, or stuff like that- YES I KNOW ONLY PEOPLE WITH A PROBLEM GO TO THOSE SITES UNTILL THE COMPANY PAYS TO GET GOOD REVIEWS PUT ON. And bad a result almost all car manufacturers on the site have two stars. Got that.

LOOKING FOR GUT REACTION: I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ... INSTEAD.

After finding out about one of my other car problems I did what I would want anyone else to do for me... warn me. The conflicted people on that site attacked me, but I’m sure a few people appreciated the info.
Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Thanks,

·
Registered
228 Posts
100% yes I would buy it again. We love it. Every vehicle can have problems and that's why there is a warranty. Buy what makes you happy, and you can afford.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'd buy it again without hesitation. Especially seeing what is new and coming out from the LA auto show, the Ascent is doing just fine in terms of technology and safety tech we can buy today.

I'm over 6000 miles now and past the first oil change and things have been great. It's taken me on a couple 400 mile trips, it's a daily driver for my wife in the city, and it's given us lots of confidence as winter is here and wet and snowy days become normal. My biggest issue is the head unit shows an annoying bug every now and again, presets disappearing or an odd behavior when connected to Android Auto sometimes. All software things that I believe will be fixed as updates come out.

If you dig around you can find issues on any car. Seeing the Honda CR-V's have oil dilution in the 1.5T's is interesting to watch from afar, but as "big" of an issue as this is there still seems to be an endless number running just fine on the roads around me.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, would still buy it. It's a still a very good value for the money (despite lost radio presets, inability to turn on all cabin lights and turn off 2nd and 3rd reading lights).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Without a doubt. Very happy with the new addition to the garage. The only thing that I might have done differently is include the add-on items when I pre-ordered. Other than that, everything was pretty smooth. Start to finish.

"DOES SUBARUS NUMEROUS PROBLEMS WITH TRANSMISSIONS AND HEAD GASKETS MAKE YOU NERVOUS?"

Not really. My other car is the 02 wrx which was also the first generation that came out in the states. So far the car is still running great, and hasnt had any major issues that weren't my fault. I figured I'll roll the dice again with Subaru with this first gen SUV.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I’m not looking for the company comparisons like this or that company had this or that problem, or stuff like that- YES I KNOW ONLY PEOPLE WITH A PROBLEM GO TO THOSE SITES UNTIL THE COMPANY PAYS TO GET GOOD REVIEWS PUT ON. And bad a result almost all car manufacturers on the site have two stars. Got that.
It's interesting that you mention companies paying to get good reviews put on. I had that actual issue with Home Depot. We had cabinet resurfacing done by Home Depot. I was curious as to why there were virtually no "bad reviews" on the Home Depot website.

I later found out why. I left a scathing review on the Home Depot website of some LED light bulbs I purchased from Home Depot. A few weeks later, I received an email from Home Depot customer service asking me to REMOVE the negative review, if I accepted replacement bulbs which were improved. They sent me the replacement bulbs and Home Depot removed the negative review.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, it is better than I thought it would be.

Check out the problems thread and you will see minimal activity. Quite good for any vehicle and extremely good for a completely new one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would definitely buy it again. Love it. The only thing I would different is I would spring for the Touring. The front camera would definitely be a help in parking.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello I’m about to either buy an ascent or forester. Car it’s replacing was a Honda Odyssey- I didn’t want my wife to get another Honda but.... not a happy experience.

I accidentally went to a scam review site which lets people rate things until the company pays the site to fix it. What I saw about the Subaru complaints scared me so either I need regular owners feedback - not the conflicted posters I keep seeing- AFTER BUYING AND DRIVING THE VEHICLE WOULD YOU STILL BUY IT?

DOES SUBARUS NUMEROUS PROBLEMS WITH TRANSMISSIONS AND HEAD GASKETS MAKE YOU NERVOUS?

I’m not looking for the company comparisons like this or that company had this or that problem, or stuff like that- YES I KNOW ONLY PEOPLE WITH A PROBLEM GO TO THOSE SITES UNTILL THE COMPANY PAYS TO GET GOOD REVIEWS PUT ON. And bad a result almost all car manufacturers on the site have two stars. Got that.

LOOKING FOR GUT REACTION: I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ... INSTEAD.

After finding out about one of my other car problems I did what I would want anyone else to do for me... warn me. The conflicted people on that site attacked me, but I’m sure a few people appreciated the info.
Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Thanks,
Like you, I had some large reservations about the Subaru Forester's engine. I did find out about the lawsuit that was settled, and I was uncomfortable. As the Ascent came out this summer, I made the mistake of driving one, and there went my plans to buy the new 2019 Forester. I did correspond with Subaru of America and was persuaded that the new 2.4 turbo is a safe bet. We will see!! Only time will tell. With luck, I will be driving a new Ascent Limited next week, and I will not "sugar coat" it if I find some aspects that are unacceptable. But remember, you cannot satisfy everyone. I drove toyotas and hondas all my life, but I recommended to friends many times, the subaru forester, largely because of the stellar reviews from Consumer Reports magazine. Now, finally, I will own a Subaru, and I suspect it will exceed all expectations!!!

I will keep you posted..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Absolutely, like you my wife had a Honda Odyssey. It was a ‘12 that we bought new and we absolutely hated it, we had new pistons and rings put in at 34,000miles. I traded it on my first Subaru, a forester, that we turned around and traded for an outback, however both were just to small for my growing family, we recently had our third. The Ascent fits us perfectly, I looked at other vehicles but we knew we wanted to stay with Subaru. My 2 kids age 4 & 6 sit in the third row while my wife and infant son sit in the second row captains chairs. It works out perfectly for us.
Not sure what your concerns are but I would purchase it again over what’s offered. My mom has an 18 traverse and I prefer my Ascent.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not only yes, but I will buy a second in next 18 months (to add to my Ascent Touring and Outback Limited). Fwiw, I used to drive germans exclusively until kids and since 2014 I only own Subarus

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would also buy the Ascent again now that I've had it for 1100 miles. Handles, great, I really like the responsiveness of the CVT transmission, the LED headlights on the Limited are the best headlights on any vehicle I have ever owned. I really like all the technology of the vehicle also. All of it works really well. The engine power is sneaky strong and the mileage has been decent so far.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I would 100% buy the Ascent again.

But this is exactly why I'm a big fan of consumer reports. They don't accept advertising or influence from anyone other than actual owners of the vehicles and their own staff. If there is a far reaching problem they investigate it and let everyone know whats going on. If the car is good, they let you know. Their only motive is to tell you what is good and what isn't so good.

And they just named the Ascent their best overall SUV. Their "Best of" category had other cars like the Tesla Model S, Porsche 911, and a few other high end cars that I don't remember. I wish I had the link but I'm not finding it right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would buy it again no question. The only thing I would want to change is spending more time getting my wife to agree to trade in her crosstrek instead of my 14 FXT. Having a bigger second car would be nice, but my wife loves her XV even though it does not have all the upgrades the XT had.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.