Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this is an Ascent forum but who better to ask then new Subaru owners.

I currently own a 2017 Forester XT limited fully loaded. When I bought it, it was replacing my STI as a family road trip vehicle. Now that I have my Ascent, my wife drives the XT. I love the XT, and with the end of the Forester turbo in 19, I’m unsure if I should keep the unicorn or upgrade to a 2019 model for the safety features. It would be nice to eliminate the need for premium fuel. I also entertained going with a Crosstrek but it seems the pricing is not that much different. I’m at 30K miles on the XT so I’d like to replace it before the warranty is up if I do. Just interested in some insight from some fellow owners... possibly with both the Ascent and a Forester.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
So I know this is an Ascent forum but who better to ask then new Subaru owners.

I currently own a 2017 Forester XT limited fully loaded. When I bought it, it was replacing my STI as a family road trip vehicle. Now that I have my Ascent, my wife drives the XT. I love the XT, and with the end of the Forester turbo in 19, I’m unsure if I should keep the unicorn or upgrade to a 2019 model for the safety features. It would be nice to eliminate the need for premium fuel. I also entertained going with a Crosstrek but it seems the pricing is not that much different. I’m at 30K miles on the XT so I’d like to replace it before the warranty is up if I do. Just interested in some insight from some fellow owners... possibly with both the Ascent and a Forester.
I only own the Ascent, but was considering the Forester Black Edition previously.

My thoughts are this:

If you can get a good trade in value for the XT and the 19 won't create a huge financial dent, then I would do it. 30k is a sweet spot to dump it.

Especially since you're from Chicago, gas prices aren't that great there either. After moving from there to Cali, premium is definitely more expensive back home. It's only about 20 cents different out here. So, you should save a significant amount of money in fuel costs per year imo.

Edit: I just checked gas station prices on GasBuddy of prices back home and premium is 4.03! Regular is 2.89! A full tank means around $20 of savings each fill up. That's HUGE

If the wife won't care about the hit in HP, I say go for it. Then it will look like you have twin cars. Similar to the Atlas and new Tiguan.

Also, maybe your dealer will be willing to deal again since you purchased an Ascent from them too.

Just my thoughts :)

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would keep it. But have (2) dinosaurs, consider the source.
If I could go back in time and own a new 05-06 XT id pay a premium. I’m jealous. I still don’t see many of the current body style in XT. I just don’t know that it will hold its value like the 05-06 does... what happens if the 2020 has a turbo option? The value of my 17 will drop im sure. My guaranteed trade value is around 26,500 with 16k equity in it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How old are your kids? I am making the assumption based upon your "family road trip vehicle" comment. Are they close to driving age? If they are within 3 years of driving, I would trade it in for a crosstrek. If they are within 5 years of driving, I would trade in for the forester. If neither of those hold, I would keep the XT.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would buy another STi.......

Reactions: Cfargione

·
Registered
646 Posts
I hadn't paid much attention to the recent Foresters. I'm assuming it is an auto? If so, trade up if the new version gets the basically all the same things as the Ascent does. If you have a stick though I would personally keep it but I'm biased and miss rowing through the gears.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you have an Ascent I don't see the benefit of two road trip haulers for the kids. With the XT going out in 2019 there will be a cult following for a Turbo forester on the market that will probably allow it to hold is value as supply dwindles and demand goes up. If your wife has a long commute I can see it being an issue in terms of fuel cost. Overall if you factor in initial purchase depreciation and then reduced annual depreciation buying a new car to replace the forester is probably more money lost than the difference in fuel cost between regular and premium. Obviously this depends on how much you drive. With this you need to factor in how much you have left to pay on the Forester vs what you will be offered in trade/sale, the cost of a replacement, how will your payments change and how many more payments you need to make. Not sure if there is a significant difference between the 2017 and 2019 Forester. I will tell you that the Crosstrek is an awesome car (for its engine and size) after having a loaner, but at 6'4" my seat is all the way down and back. There is 0 room for someone behind me. In my opinion they feel a bit overpriced for what they offer, but at the same time it is the AWD premium you are paying for which competitive cars don't offer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old are your kids? I am making the assumption based upon your "family road trip vehicle" comment. Are they close to driving age? If they are within 3 years of driving, I would trade it in for a crosstrek. If they are within 5 years of driving, I would trade in for the forester. If neither of those hold, I would keep the XT.

My daughter is 7. Long way off from driving although Im sure it will be here before I know it.

The Forester is no longer a road trip car, but my wife's parents live about 200 miles away and she regularly travels to see them. When she does, she takes the forester and I keep the Ascent here. It would just be a safe larger SUV with good fuel economy if i upgraded. She likes the Crosstrek but I am a 'touring' type person and for the touring cost of a Crosstrek id rather the Forester. The new model has some great new tech features but the reduction in HP is the kicker. I bet she doesn't even know there is a sport# mode, which is probably a good thing. She drives in intelligent. She went from a 2015 Prius with 60k miles on it to my 17 Forester when I traded the Prius for the Ascent. So she's winning no matter what. I'd imagine that I'd add about 6-7K to my XT payoff to get into a new touring. Not a major deal as I'm not underwater on it. No accidents and I should get the guaranteed trade value on it.

As for getting another STI.... one day. Just not in the next few years. Disney trips and road trips keep the $ from that fund. Hopefully the new Roland Vinyl I picked up can supplement the play car fund again!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I thought the real unicorns were the 08 forester XT World Rally Blue? :) Personally, I'd sell the Forester. Keep the Ascent, if you really need another vehicle maybe something that does better on fuel consumption. That's my 2cents

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the real unicorns were the 08 forester XT World Rally Blue? :) Personally, I'd sell the Forester. Keep the Ascent, if you really need another vehicle maybe something that does better on fuel consumption. That's my 2cents
The Ascent is getting rocked until the wheels fall off!

As for the unicorn, yes... the 17 is far from it. I was referring to years down the line when it might be more desirable.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Just send the XT to Colorado - I will take it today!!! You will be sorely disappointed in the engine of the 2019 Forester. It will be howling up any reasonable size hill. The Subaru dealer will try to steal it from you, because their supply is so limited on the used market. I would definitely keep it. As for the safety features, you have the Ascent. You will have a far greater chance of someone else hitting you, in which case the safety features are worthless.

Just my opinion from someone who could not bear to purchase the 4 cylinder Outback because of its lack of power and went with the 6-cylinder. We have two other turbo Subaru's in our family. They are the only way to go.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Shrug. Only reason I'm in the market right now is because I bought a 2.5 Outback. If I bought either the Tribeca (yep) or the Outback 3.6, I would be very content with what I've got. I still love the Gen2 Tribeca. I couldn't find a decent price that wasn't bloated within 100 miles of me, or I'd probably have made the move for one.

But for me, looking at the 2019 Outback 3.6, (MSRP around 42k with the options) you're looking at a difference of around ~$2-3000 and with the Ascent Touring (around MSRP 45k), I have an option to get seating for 7 in the Touring Trim, so I'd rather have a car that can haul anything.

Though, looking at my trip computer doing all highway, it is pretty cool to almost get 600 miles to a tank in my 2.5... I'm looking forward to a modern Subaru with ACC, though.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
The Ascent is getting rocked until the wheels fall off!

As for the unicorn, yes... the 17 is far from it. I was referring to years down the line when it might be more desirable.
Judging from the signature update...the decision was made. Curious what was the deciding factor. :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Judging from the signature update...the decision was made. Curious what was the deciding factor. :)
Nothing for sure yet. $500 deposited but I can always back out. Drove the Forester today and switched the display to the boost gauge. Somehow my wife had it pegged at 19.8lbs. Ha! I never saw over 18 really when it was my daily. So the fact that my wife is boosting to 19.8 has me concerned! I did however get 30.3mpg on a short 70 mile trip with the cruise set at 60-65. Rear hatch has been sticking. TPMS light on but pressure is good and has been checked for a few days. No nails in the tires and no loss of air from 33lbs. Maybe low battery in the sensor... are these signs I should upgrade? I have a few months to figure it out.

Reactions: FoRealz

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Nothing for sure yet. $500 deposited but I can always back out. Drove the Forester today and switched the display to the boost gauge. Somehow my wife had it pegged at 19.8lbs. Ha! I never saw over 18 really when it was my daily. So the fact that my wife is boosting to 19.8 has me concerned! I did however get 30.3mpg on a short 70 mile trip with the cruise set at 60-65. Rear hatch has been sticking. TPMS light on but pressure is good and has been checked for a few days. No nails in the tires and no loss of air from 33lbs. Maybe low battery in the sensor... are these signs I should upgrade? I have a few months to figure it out.

Is there a sensor in the spare/donut? Might be low. That was notorious in my Tacoma...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there a sensor in the spare/donut? Might be low. That was notorious in my Tacoma...

might be worth checking out. thanks.

And also thanks for the clean up and sticky on the lighting post.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
might be worth checking out. thanks.

And also thanks for the clean up and sticky on the lighting post.
Thank YOU for all your hard work and taking the time to share knowledge and tips with the community. It makes a huge difference. I need to see if I can adjust the image sizes on the post so it's a little easier on the eyes for the inline images.

I think the biggest thing we're trying to do is get things a bit more organized since there's a lot of good information getting lost among the threads. Work in progress :grin:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just some gas/mileage numbers too:
I have approx 32,000 miles on the XT in 2 years of ownership with an average MPG of 20.16
I've bought 1587 gallons of gas in 2 years for the XT
Premium in Chicago averages about .80-.90 more per gallon than regular
underestimating the savings at .70 per gallon, I have spent approximatly $1,111 more on fuel in the last 2 years than I would have on regular gas.

While I know that the XT will be valued higher than a basic touring Forester, if I keep this another 4-6 years, while averaging about $1,111 more in gas every 2 years, that would be

4 years: $2,222
6 years: $3,333
8 years: $4,444

That has been a consideration as well since it will just be my wife's daily now. She will actually put more miles on it with her commute than I have been too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts