Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Buy new rig or Upgrade Ascent?

• New Vehicle

• Upgrade the Ascent

Worth Turning Ascent into Soft Roader?

8K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  OverlandAscent 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a '22 premium that has about 17k miles.

The Ascent has been great to drive and has had no issues.

I am considering upgrading it into an overland/soft roading rig, but am questioning it's capability.

This is mainly due to the approach, departure, and break over angles of the vehicle. Also it is a unibody construction.

However, the AWD system is absolutely amazing and is like having front and rear lockers.

So I am debating upgrading the Ascent with AT tires, a 1-2" lift, skid plates, and possibly new bumpers.

On the other hand I am just considering buying a second vehicle like a Ford Bronco, jeep, or Mid Size pickup truck.

I wanted to get people's experience and see what everyone thinks about the Ascent as an off-road and overland rig. I have read some previous threads but the info seems a bit mixed.

Some people say that it is not super capable and others say they can go on most trails without issue.

I've taken my Ascent onto beaches, gravel roads, and deep snow and it has been amazing. However, on one forest service road I decided to turn around instead of risking my bumper.

im interested to see people's experiences

Edit: after wasting thousands I can confirm nobody should do this. Buy a truck. The Ascent sucks. Primitive Skids plates still have issues and the lift was basically pointless. It's a good highway car but flat out stinks off-road.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
This is mainly due to the approach, departure, and break over angles of the vehicle.
THAT will be your major concern, even with a lift. It's mine, even with a 2.2" lift.

Oooh, I know that guy!!! There's something wrong with him, lol!!! 😁 🤣🤪😉

Seriously though, I am not regretting a single thing I've done to my Ascent to be able to soft road and outright off-road with it. Done right, the Ascent isn't compromised by the mods, and is quite capable. Definitely talk to my friends at @Discount Tire about wheel and tire options, especially if you plan on downsizing wheels like me for more extreme stuff. And, for skids, I definitely recommend Primitive Racing (all three plus front lip). Non-strut-replacement lift kits for more extreme off-roading, I'd go to RalliTEK, Primitive, or Anderson. I'd skip the rest.

Here's my YouTube channel with some of my adventures. My Ascent has off roaded from Maine to Florida, from Long Island's Montauk Point to the desert in California's Joshua Tree National Forest, and many places in between.

Here's 2 hours of my Ascent and friends soft roading, and outright off-roading on actual 4x4 trails in Utah

It never disappointed.

#16 ·
THAT will be your major concern, even with a lift. It's mine, even with a 2.2" lift.

Oooh, I know that guy!!! There's something wrong with him, lol!!! 😁 🤣🤪😉

Seriously though, I am not regretting a single thing I've done to my Ascent to be able to soft road and outright off-road with it. Done right, the Ascent isn't compromised by the mods, and is quite capable. Definitely talk to my friends at @Discount Tire about wheel and tire options, especially if you plan on downsizing wheels like me for more extreme stuff. And, for skids, I definitely recommend Primitive Racing (all three plus front lip). Non-strut-replacement lift kits for more extreme off-roading, I'd go to RalliTEK, Primitive, or Anderson. I'd skip the rest.

Here's my YouTube channel with some of my adventures. My Ascent has off roaded from Maine to Florida, from Long Island's Montauk Point to the desert in California's Joshua Tree National Forest, and many places in between.

Here's 2 hours of my Ascent and friends soft roading, and outright off-roading on actual 4x4 trails in Utah

It never disappointed.
Robert, I've been following you on YouTube! Nice to run into you here :)

#3 ·
Not worth it. I've taken a stock Ascent on some more difficult forest roads and it was not a great experience. The approach angle specifically just sucks. Hit quite a few more things than I would've expected coming from a Forester that just ate these roads up in the past.

Also you won't be able to do anything about the wheelbase. Shorter wheelbases are just far superior for off roading.

I'd rather take a stock Forester soft roading over a kitted out Ascent. Sorry, just my experience.

#4 ·
As a SOFT-roader, I think the Ascent does just fine. I’d refer you to this article on outfitting a Subaru for such adventures. But you’re post addresses the main shortcomings of the Ascent so I don’t need to go into those.

As an OFF-roader, a stock 4Runner, Jeep or just about any vehicle with a low range transfer case and locking diffs will serve you infinitely better and be much more fun to kit out.

#7 ·
The question is really how far off road are you looking to go. I would make up some spreadsheets and work out all the costs, I think if it were me I would go as far as bolt-ons would allow within a budgeted amount. Then if you wanted to go farther start building a dedicated offroader. Or you may find that it's enough for your ambitions.

#8 ·
I am not looking to do anything crazy like mudding or rock crawling. Mainly I just want to get to the trailhead where I can hike or bike the more rough terrain.

I figured with x-mode and 8.7" of clearance the Ascent would be decent, but the approach and brakeover angles are giving me pause.

I feel like the front bumper is a huge liability for this car. I'm also not sure about lifting it since it is a unibody and they don't normally like to be lifted.

I guess I'm trying to understand just how capable the Ascent is. I'm starting to think it's less capable than I did when I bought it

#9 ·
It is great on soft roading adventures. It would not be so good as a rock climber or in deep mud. My wife and I sought out the roads less traveled wherever we went.

#11 ·
For what you're describing, I think all you need are good all terrains.
I will be upgrading to a better tire. Most likely the Falken Wildpeaks.

The roads to trailheads around me are heavily rutted and filled with potholes. I just don't want to shear my bumper off. So, I have been looking at the Eibach spring lift kit and primitive racing skids. I just don't want to go down the rabbit hole with upgrades haha.

I have also been thinking about getting a cheap truck for this and leaving the Ascent as a highway vehicle, but I'd prefer to use the Ascent for everything.

#12 · (Edited)
I will be upgrading to a better tire. Most likely the Falken Wildpeaks.

The roads to trailheads around me are heavily rutted and filled with potholes. I just don't want to shear my bumper off. So, I have been looking at the Eibach spring lift kit and primitive racing skids. I just don't want to go down the rabbit hole with upgrades haha.

I have also been thinking about getting a cheap truck for this and leaving the Ascent as a highway vehicle, but I'd prefer to use the Ascent for everything.
Why not get an aftermarket bumper for the front and save your painted one for when/if you decide to move on from the ascent. You could customize it to get some better approach angles and not be worried too much when it gets banged up.

#17 ·
im interested to see people's experiences
As someone who has a Tacoma with bumpers, skids, midtravel setup, air suspension, and an Ascent… I would say do the basic mods to the Ascent first. Do a lil lift, add some more sidewall and downsize the wheel size. The fuel economy I get in the Subie is double what I get in the Taco. It does 95% of the same stuff as my Tacoma for daily use, and gets double the mileage, and more interior room. I did all the mods to the Taco over the years and dialed it how I like it and I drive it less than ever 🤣 And as much as I love the truck, having a double cab long bed is harder to find parking spots, fills up 2x as often, and I don’t get as much time to go actual off roading. Now I use it more for tailgating and just towing the boats. The one thing you have to remember is you gotta drive it back from whatever you are going to be doing. Choose your lines and use a spotter and be smart about it. It’s a Unibody AWD SUV, not a truck. If you know it’s limitations and respect them just throw a couple grand at the Ascent and save up for a beater wheeler you don’t mind thrashing or get a dedicated SXS that you can tow behind the ascent and do gnarly wheeling.

#19 ·
I had a Tacoma before I got the Ascent. I definitely prefer the better MPG and having more space.

It's been a little while since this post, but since then I decided to stick with the Ascent. It has been super comfortable and easy to maintain, so I'm going to keep it for at least another year.

I added primitive Racing Skid plates, Falken Wildpeak Trail ATs on stock 18" wheels, yellow diode dynamic foglifhts, and a spare mounted on the roof rack.

Just ordered the Eibach Spring lift kit too for $400 so that will give me another 1.5" of clearance.

I plan to make the Ascent my beach going vehicle. it is definitely not a rock crawler, but it seemed to do amazing on the beaches last summer. It's also big enough to put a sleeper setup in the back.

Overall, I'm happy with my decision, cost me about $3500, but a new vehicle is more than ten times that. Even a lease is $12-15k over 3 years. So I spent less than one year on a lease, much less 36 months.

I also just recently rented a SxS to explore Sedona. I don't think I've hated any vehicle more. Incredibly uncomfortable and essentially no safety or protection. Was getting dust and dirt everywhere and was getting sprayed by other vehicles. I returned it an hour early and swore I'd never use one again. The people in closed top jeeps looked much happier. I'll probably rent a jeep if I ever want to tackle anything super tough

#22 ·
It really surprised the heck out of me that the Ascent has so much more head room than a bunch of the trucks like the Tacoma.

#24 ·
Yep, Subaru has always been good for me and my tall family members.

What pissed me off about the Toyota trucks is that the Tacoma and Tundra have the exact same interior space.

So, I went with a Tacoma, because why would I pay $10k more for no added head or leg room? Got rid of it a few years ago though, since it had a bunch of trans issues.

#27 ·
I lifted my Ascent with the Eibach Spring Lift Kit.

It raised the front 1.7" and the rear 1.4"

The car looks more proportional now imo, since it is such a tall vehicle.

I don't notice any real difference in ride quality. Maybe a bit less body lean around turns.

I appreciate being a bit higher off the ground too. Im now more similar to a stock full size truck in terms of ride height.

I will probably make a post about the install, but I still need to have the vehicle aligned and do a bit more testing.

#28 ·
After driving about 100+ miles with the lift I regret upgrading the Ascent. The lift feels like how the car should come stock to be at all capable.

Subaru designed this to be a road car. The angles are absolutely dreadful.

I regret dumping all this money into it for new tires, brakes, fog lights, spare tire, roof rack, lift, skid plate, etc...

Subaru put crap tires and brakes on this vehicle, so obviously they don't think too highly of it. Not sure why I did.

I have had plenty of issues with the skid plates not fitting right and needing additional hardware.

No companies make anything specifically for the Ascent. Its made for the outback or Forester and then changed a tiny bit.

I am annoyed everytime I look at my spare tire. Why is Subaru so cheap? Why did I have to waste $500 on a wheel and tire?

Overall, it's a good road vehicle. Great in the rain and snow.

But it's maybe equivalent to a sprinter van off-road.

I have scraped in places where Prius' drive right through. It is embarrassing.

If you're using this post to decide on upgrading your vehicle, don't. I am seeing posts about wheel bearing failures and obviously the trans is not reliable.

Wish I would have just put this money into a used truck or to lease a Jeep. The Ascent doesn't belong off road with the angles Subaru gave it.

This is my own fault, but I figure I'll be the one to tell others to avoid my mistake. Subaru AWD is great but this car is just awful in terms of angles and wheel base.

#29 ·
No companies make anything specifically for the Ascent. Its made for the outback or Forester and then changed a tiny bit.
Virtually nothing for the Ascent (except maybe LP Aventure stuff) came out of a modified Forester/Crosstrek or Outback item.

#30 ·
You are right the Ascent like 98% of SUV sold today are intended as road vehicles (tall cars) that can handle inclement weather. Using one as a starting point for an off road oriented vehicle is fraught with challenges that are expensive and difficult to overcome. No amount of aftermarket hardware will improve upon the approach and departure angles. As I said before Toyota 4Runner TRD off road is better suited for this type of work with a two speed transfer case and locking center diff. But the driving ergonomics feel like you are crammed up against the roof. Jeep Wrangler,Gladiator, and grand Cherokee still have some off road prowess at the expensive of some on road civility. At least the mods you made make your ascent look unique and you could recoup some of your costs if you decide to sell the parts.

#31 · (Edited)
No amount of aftermarket hardware will improve upon the approach and departure angles
That's not accurate. Here's mine vs the other Subies.
Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

Here's a variety of lifts on the Ascent. Stock is horrible, yes, but it doesn't take much to improve it considerably.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

#37 · (Edited)
Took my newly lifted Ascent to the beach this weekend. It handled the drive no problem and seemed nice on the beach. The sand was pretty solid, so I never even needed x-mode. Didn't air down at all either.

Tire Water Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle

Coming back from the water, I saw a Baja had parked near me. I wish Subaru would bring them back haha.

Font Plant Gas Auto part Electric blue

Even with the lift, skid plates, AT tires, a roof rack, and a tire mounted up top, I averaged 23+ mpg over my last 300 miles. That includes this entire beach trip and a mix of city and highway. I'm happily surprised by the efficiency.

Edit: Most likely going to be selling in a few weeks/months. With all the upgrades the car just still isn't capable enough. I didnt realize what a giant drop off in capability it was from the Forester. I also can't stand looking at the new design lol

#39 ·
The one person I should have listened to. Screw the ascent for anything more than highway driving
I think you're giving up too easily. On the one hand you attest to how great the Ascent is, but on the other you say it's not good for anything more than highway driving. You've done more with your Ascent than many of us, so it's definitely good for more than just highway driving. No, it will never compete with a lifted truck, but it is still quite capable.

I agree that it's unrealistic to expect it to compete with a truck, but as @Robert.Mauro has shown with some mods it is amazingly capable.

Our two Subarus are stock and are still incredibly capable as long as you recognize it's a Subaru and not a truck. Whatever you decide, I hope you keep enjoying your Ascent.

#40 ·
I honestly thought the Ascent was more capable, but it's just not designed to be.

I have not taken it anywhere that there were not also Prius' and Sedans. I need something that can actually get me away from people and to some more remote trails.

I think I'd have more patience if I didn't already have to replace half the vehicle. I've had to do tires, brakes, full sized spare, fog lights, skid plates, etc... Whereas I could buy a stock Jeep, bronco, or Tacoma and they would all come with that. Idk why Subaru cheaped out so hard on their most expensive vehicle.

I'm still having issues with my skid plates and I'm not very impressed with the lift. The skids grind any time I'm making a sharp turn. The only fix ive been told is to keep putting more spacers on the skid plate. I am sick of having to work on this car that is a pain to even just jack up in the air since my skids cover the one lift point on the front of the vehicle.

I also think I've said a few times that the car should have come this height. (10" of clearance) It just feels like a normal SUV with the lift.

On top of all of that, I bought the car mainly for safety. So of course the safety rating had to be lowered the year after I bought it.

My Subaru dealer is also horrible. They couldn't even do my alignment correctly. They acted all confused when I brought it back in since it was pulling hard to the left. So, I'm essentially on my own with this vehicle that needs to be worked on every other week.

Overall, I have wasted way too much time on this vehicle. I did not realize it was such a giant drop off in capability from the Forester. I wish Subaru would tell people that it's basically a minivan in terms of off-road angles and that there are no good lift kits available for it. Every other Subaru you can lift 2-4 inches with actual full strut replacements. Replacing just the springs was not fun and I'm not a fan of how the suspension rides now. Wish I would have just left the vehicle as the boring grandma car that it is.

#46 ·
Where are you offroading the Ascent? personally I would leave it stock because I like my warranty. We drive it on the beach with good tires and correct tire pressure (I would call this soft-roading... literally) and it does great. It is not hard flat beach, this is a place where many cars get stuck. Tires and tire pressure are definitely key.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.