Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took our test drive yesterday. Dealership was great, Ascent wasn't. Couldn't get comfortable, seats hard and short, no place to rest my elbows, steering wheel too small, folded down 3rd seat makes cargo space small, all the plastic looks cheap, couldn't hear the lane departure alerts, but sure could see them, and too expensive. Could never make a 10 hour trip in this car.:crying:

However, Subaru has the best AWD system, they have forced the other manufactures to offer eyesight/safety stuff for us old folks and has great customer satasification, with the exception of Lexus. Dealership also handled Nissan and the Murano is much more comfortable for about the same money as Ascent.:eek:

My $$ take: Minivan if you need 3rd row seating. Murano for better comfort and as much room. Forester for utility with a smaller size and price. Three year old Lexus RX350 beats them all. I'll be keeping our RX350 and the $150 for the test drive!:grin:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I took our test drive yesterday. Dealership was great, Ascent wasn't. Couldn't get comfortable, seats hard and short, no place to rest my elbows, steering wheel too small, folded down 3rd seat makes cargo space small, all the plastic looks cheap, couldn't hear the lane departure alerts, but sure could see them, and too expensive. Could never make a 10 hour trip in this car.:crying:

However, Subaru has the best AWD system, they have forced the other manufactures to offer eyesight/safety stuff for us old folks and has great customer satasification, with the exception of Lexus. Dealership also handled Nissan and the Murano is much more comfortable for about the same money as Ascent.:eek:

My $$ take: Minivan if you need 3rd row seating. Murano for better comfort and as much room. Forester for utility with a smaller size and price. Three year old Lexus RX350 beats them all. I'll be keeping our RX350 and the $150 for the test drive!:grin:
I am still shopping for my next car and looking at several different vehicles in this class. It is getting to be close competition. That is what is great, there are different options and to each their own, we have choices because people have different opinions. There are a few brands that I stay away from because our local dealers are a joke.

What I don't understand is why people like you come onto an otherwise open minded and friendly platform such as this and create a post simply to tell everyone you DON'T like the feature vehicle. You must really need the attention or be bored as ****. If I took the time to post about everything that I DIDN'T purchase, I would not have time to try and provide helpful, open minded and occasionally knowledgeable information to those interested in similar things.

Best of luck to you, I am happy that you found a vehicle you like. You should probably head over to some Lexus/Nissan forum and share your praises. If you cannot keep things positive, I suggest you find a forum full of haters and bashers and spend your time there.

·
Registered
807 Posts
There's nothing wrong with that.....

Anyone that's read my posts, knows I'm not a huge fan of the Ascent, even though I have one. I agree that for anything more than an hour and a half the seats are terribly hard in the touring model. And I'll definitely agree if you need three rows, a minivan is the way to go (except we have a house up in the hills and when there's 8" of snow on the ground over a dirt road with deep ditches on either side, the minivan won't make it, even with winter tires-I know because I've had one before).

And, I've already posted about other people criticizing other forum members about their vehicle preferences. But I'm really surprised that the Murano would be the one that rose to the top out of all the options out there (Although I have to agree that they have incredibly comfortable seats).

But there's an option for everybody. I probably should have gone for the CX-9, or waited for the new GLS 450 to come out. Just be thankful we're not living 30 years ago behind the iron curtain, where we'd be lucky to have a Trabant, assuming we could even afford one.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Sometimes I think this forum is pretty weird. In many ways it's just like any of the other car forums I've joined in the past. But this forum has a lot of randos who just come in with no prior posting history and fire off a bunch of complaints. I can't see any motive, other than the hope that somebody's future Google search will expose all of these negative comments about the Ascent. Maybe I'm being cynical. At least the OP in this thread is reasonably thought out, albeit a bit strange as to why it was even posted.

I think if you want to have your opinion carry any weight here, you need to ingratiate yourself with the community with some real discussion before you can start complaining. Otherwise it looks like a troll job.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Agree with the above.

I shopped and read and pondered for quite a while. Bought an Ascent. THEN joined this group as a member. It would never occur to me at all to join a group for something I chose not to buy. Geez, I'd never get anything else done, because be too busy posting comments to groups about something I don't want to own...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sometimes I think this forum is pretty weird. In many ways it's just like any of the other car forums I've joined in the past. But this forum has a lot of randos who just come in with no prior posting history and fire off a bunch of complaints. I can't see any motive, other than the hope that somebody's future Google search will expose all of these negative comments about the Ascent. Maybe I'm being cynical. At least the OP in this thread is reasonably thought out, albeit a bit strange as to why it was even posted.

I think if you want to have your opinion carry any weight here, you need to ingratiate yourself with the community with some real discussion before you can start complaining. Otherwise it looks like a troll job.
Heh, been dealing with this phenomenon since 1990!

Had an even more rabid crowd in the Olympus/Panasonic micro four thirds camera forum. People with Canon and Nikons would come over and tell us how inferior our cameras were. And we would continue taking contest winning photos with our gear that weighed half as much with 90% of the performance and half the cost.

·
Registered
942 Posts
... Could never make a 10 hour trip in this car.:crying:
Odd.... this is the most comfy car I've driven/ridden in. We made the 15 hour trip to Texas with only stops for gas and then a few days later made the same trip back. I wasn't even sore, just tired!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I love my Ascent and find it really comfortable. I will admit that my wife who is a bit shorter also has problems finding a comfortable armrest position, if any, and I also thought the steering wheel was a bit small. With that said, these are very nit picky and in no way makes me like the car any less. I also think the seats are great.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Naturally, can't argue how you personally experience something... however, i do believe as an owner and having spent much time on here learing from the community, that most of those pain points are exceptions to the norm. But, it's not going to be perfect for everyone and that's ok.

I'm still glad you at least tried it out and gave it a chance, and hope you'll encourage others to come to their own conclusions by trying it out for themselves.

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Heh, been dealing with this phenomenon since 1990!

Had an even more rabid crowd in the Olympus/Panasonic micro four thirds camera forum. People with Canon and Nikons would come over and tell us how inferior our cameras were. And we would continue taking contest winning photos with our gear that weighed half as much with 90% of the performance and half the cost.
I'm glad I never got into any photography forums then! I dabbled a bit in high school and again when my wife took a college class. Besides many car forums, I had been very active on various guitar forums since the late 1990s. It was either just a different time or musicians just don't act weird on forums. Many were fans of various brands - different tools for different jobs/mutual respect/blah blah blah...

BTW, my wife was a Nikon user and I used a Panasonic (but not DSLR or micro four thirds). I had a really nice manual-capable LUMIX something something 400. It's been ages, but at the time it was a very nice small form factor camera with some pretty good specs at the time.

·
Administrator
11,392 Posts
Last year, I spent 10 days of many miles in Nissan's best AWD SUV. I need a working AWD, and Nissan's is utterly useless.

I also wanted the safest 7 seater. On that, I trusted Subaru's claims of safety - that trust was of course not misplaced.

But, to each their own. We each have different needs.

It was after my purchase that I learned the Ascent obliterated every other SUV of every size and class in Consumer Reports rankings. But the fact that it didn't score 100, (only 96) means that I guess there are things people didn't prefer about it compared to other models.

Each of our priorities and needs are different, and I am glad that you found a car that meets your needs. I did too.

·
Registered
978 Posts
99% of people here will disagree with your assessment as does Consumer Reports. The Ascent is rated best in its class. I've never owned a more enjoyable vehicle.

But to each his own.

Murano? Please. Nissan quality is terrible and getting worse.
Nissan is literally on the verge of total failure. Renault is in the process of buying it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I’ve seen a couple of other folks on this forum say that they thought the seats in the Touring were kind of hard. I don’t remember thinking that when I tried sitting in the Touring, but I have a Premium and the cloth seats are really comfortable. And I don’t like seats that are too hard or too cushiony. I’ve driven 13 hours straight in one day and had no issues.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am still shopping for my next car and looking at several different vehicles in this class. It is getting to be close competition. That is what is great, there are different options and to each their own, we have choices because people have different opinions. There are a few brands that I stay away from because our local dealers are a joke.

What I don't understand is why people like you come onto an otherwise open minded and friendly platform such as this and create a post simply to tell everyone you DON'T like the feature vehicle. You must really need the attention or be bored as ****. If I took the time to post about everything that I DIDN'T purchase, I would not have time to try and provide helpful, open minded and occasionally knowledgeable information to those interested in similar things.

Best of luck to you, I am happy that you found a vehicle you like. You should probably head over to some Lexus/Nissan forum and share your praises. If you cannot keep things positive, I suggest you find a forum full of haters and bashers and spend your time there.
I found registering for a forum just to post that you didn't like forum vehicle odd as well. It's just another for lack of a better word -illegitimate post- providing no real value. And probably someone with an agenda. Oh well, these folks are everywhere in the digital world. As an aside the previous generation Murano was a well thought of vehicle, but as someone else said Nissan engineering, quality, execution, and reliability has taken a serious dip - across the board in recent years... :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
On the long ride seat comfort (not material feel), is there any sort of consensus or accepted understanding as to which trim is better: the Premium or the Limited / Touring? I’m having a tough time getting a feel for that in a showroom.

Also I really like the attitude and positive nature of the regular posters on this forum.

And to the OP, you may want to check out the 2020 model which is just around the corner and may bring with it some small tweaks and adjustments.

·
Super Moderator
2,703 Posts
All I've gotten from this thread is surprised that ya'll had the internet in 1990, and where's my $150 for a test drive?!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Isn't the title of this thread Forum : 2019+ Subaru Ascent: Likes And Dislikes ????????

I was hot to trot about the Ascent because of the CR report. I was disappointed. Sorry you got your panties in a bunch.

I've bought 20-25 new cars and destroyed more on a Rural Mail Route than most people ever own. Thought my expertise would be appriciated. The Lexus RX350 is by far the nicest and it was used! Much bigger bang for your buck!

I thought the cup holders were OK and like the CVT trans. And the eysight and safety stuff is GREAT!!!!!

Bill

·
Registered
418 Posts
Isn't the title of this thread Forum : 2019+ Subaru Ascent: Likes And Dislikes ????????

I was hot to trot about the Ascent because of the CR report. I was disappointed. Sorry you got your panties in a bunch.

I've bought 20-25 new cars and destroyed more on a Rural Mail Route than most people ever own. Thought my expertise would be appriciated. The Lexus RX350 is by far the nicest and it was used! Much bigger bang for your buck!

I thought the cup holders were OK and like the CVT trans. And the eysight and safety stuff is GREAT!!!!!

Bill
It was your bunched panties that brought you here to a forum dedicated to a car you apparently don't like, apparently for the sole purpose of posting how much you didn't like it. If you didn't think it would generate some counter-effect, then you desperately need a class on how to internet. I suspect that you knew very well how your post would be received. Regardless your extremely brief and anecdotal "evidence" hardly qualifies as "expertise", no matter how many rural mail routes you've driven. Many of us have driven quite a few miles for a wide variety of reasons too, and our experience directly contradicts yours, but you don't see us going on Nissan forums denigrating Nissan products (or any other makes/models for that matter).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts