Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else going through wiring harnesses? I will be on my third wiring harness with my dealer installed towing package.

Also, does anyone know whether the dealer installed towing package and wiring charge the trailer battery while the engine is running?

Thank you to all of you experts

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Is anyone else going through wiring harnesses? I will be on my third wiring harness with my dealer installed towing package.

Also, does anyone know whether the dealer installed towing package and wiring charge the trailer battery while the engine is running?

Thank you to all of you experts
The main harness is built into the car unless you got a Base model, or the dealer installed an aftermarket hitch kit and did not use it.

What hitch was installed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main harness is built into the car unless you got a Base model, or the dealer installed an aftermarket hitch kit and did not use it.

What hitch was installed?
I'm assuming a Subaru hitch was installed. I have a Premium model. The stickers on the hitch refer to Subaru specs and the stinger has a Subaru part number.
Also, do you know whether the Subaru wiring charges the battery while running and whether this function cuts off when the vehicle is turned off?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I'm assuming a Subaru hitch was installed. I have a Premium model. The stickers on the hitch refer to Subaru specs and the stinger has a Subaru part number.
Also, do you know whether the Subaru wiring charges the battery while running and whether this function cuts off when the vehicle is turned off?
Can you post a photo?

I use the 7 pin connector to charge the trailer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dead battery - 2 Lessons Learned (cross posted in BATTERY threads)

We arrived home from a 9-day RV trip and left the car hooked up to the trailer.
did cleaning and maintenance for the rest of the afternoon. Left it connected overnight.
(we did NOT plug the RV into the house extension cord like we usually do)
instead thinking we were using the RV battery for our cleaning, etc

The next morning the Ascent was dead. No response to the key fob.
No response to using Subaru Starlink/MySubaru app.
Called Subaru Starlink and they tried to communicate with the car, no success.
The car was dead, all doors locked. Could not even jump it because no way to open the hood.

Subaru Starlink offered a 2-step answer. 1st- send over a service to open the Ascent.
2nd - send over another service to jump start the car.
but then the phone call dropped and we had to call again and go thru the explanation.
The next c/s rep said the key fob had a spare key and we could open the car!! (photo)
-turn the key fob over, press that little silver square, pull out a small key.
I had no idea of this, but what a great thing to know. It saved an auto locksmith from having to break into the Ascent.

2nd-lesson learned, do NOT leave the 7-pin electric connector on the RV to the Ascent as the main power for long periods or overnight.
All by itself it must use the Ascent battery to recharge the RV batteries as needed, or possibly the RV is drawing directly off the car by default. There is always something ON inside the RV that is drawing some power 24/7. (and we've all learned how susceptible the Ascent battery can be)
Typically even if we are 7-pin connected to the car, we usually are connected with a house line or campsite electric connection and have no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts