Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my new '23 Ascent I got the wireless charging option because of wireless CarPlay however I notice that after being on the charger for ~20 minutes the phone gets so hot that it stops charging and never cools down, which makes the solution pretty much worthless. Is anyone else seeing this issue? I understand how wireless charging works and that wireless CarPlay and charging both create heat battery heat but I guess I expected it to be better than this. Is anyone else seeing the same thing or is there an issue with the charger in mine?

· Registered
38 Posts
In my new '23 Ascent I got the wireless charging option because of wireless CarPlay however I notice that after being on the charger for ~20 minutes the phone gets so hot that it stops charging and never cools down, which makes the solution pretty much worthless. Is anyone else seeing this issue? I understand how wireless charging works and that wireless CarPlay and charging both create heat battery heat but I guess I expected it to be better than this. Is anyone else seeing the same thing or is there an issue with the charger in mine?
I’m experiencing the exact same thing. About to pull the wireless charger out and just go with wired charging. Already ordered the console tray. Still love wireless CarPlay for around town, my phone never leaves my pocket, but for longer trips in the car when I do need a charger, the wireless charging is worthless - it heats up so much the wireless CarPlay disconnects until my phone cools down.

iPhone 13 Pro with the thin Apple leather case.

· Registered
23 Ascent Premium, 20 Outback; former 19 Outback, 87 GL-10, 85 GL
78 Posts
I appreciate both of you sharing, helps reinforce my decision to not get the wireless charger.

By comparison, when I tested the wireless charger in a 23 CRV it worked great, but it was a very short test as opposed to a road trip. The setup in the 23 Pilot is similar, but I haven't personally checked that one. Wireless AA/CP and charging are standard in the 23 Pilot and CRV, so apparently they have figured out how to make it work better than Subaru has.

· Super Moderator
3,747 Posts
What kind of case do you have your phone in?
I had a similar thing happen with a thick case on my phone. While playing video, not CarPlay, it would overheat and stop charging. I replaced the case with something thinner and haven’t had an issue since.

· Registered
2023 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
1,015 Posts
roomor is ... the magnetic ring in a i phone is not alining correctly
with subaru charger and instead of charging it just becoming additional heat source

· Registered
65 Posts
I use an ESR magsafe charger mounted up on the dash and wireless Carplay through a Carlinkit adapter in my 2019. I've driven for hours on the highway with no issues - case and all. Not relevant to your situation except to say that it's possible with an iphone 12 or 14 with other equipment, if not with the subaru offering.

· Registered
1,335 Posts
I use an ESR magsafe charger mounted up on the dash and wireless Carplay through a Carlinkit adapter in my 2019. I've driven for hours on the highway with no issues - case and all. Not relevant to your situation except to say that it's possible with an iphone 12 or 14 with other equipment, if not with the subaru offering.
I guess we need owners of android phones to chime in on this subject to see if their phones overheat when being charged wirelessly.

· Registered
180 Posts
Did you post this on Reddit as well, so I don't reply twice to the same person? You'll get more help here than on Reddit.

· Registered
2023 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
1,015 Posts
Hm.. FWIW with Iphone 13 pro max i can can carplay for 9+ hours (tested) with google maps or Waze or both
so i don't actually need one ... i normally only charge phone every 2-3 days
i feel like getting phone out is defining whole point of "wireless carplay"

but for piople who got one and its overheating, do you have H671SXC203 or older H671SXC200 ?

· Registered
3 Posts
I’m experiencing the exact same thing. About to pull the wireless charger out and just go with wired charging. Already ordered the console tray. Still love wireless CarPlay for around town, my phone never leaves my pocket, but for longer trips in the car when I do need a charger, the wireless charging is worthless - it heats up so much the wireless CarPlay disconnects until my phone cools down.

iPhone 13 Pro with the thin Apple leather case.
What wired charging console tray did you order?

· Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
149 Posts
I can't add any content to the OEM wireless charger discussion. As an Android user (Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra) using a non-oem wireless charger and wireless Android Auto, it works fine.

I have a 2020 Ascent Limited withOUT OEM wireless charging. I have a wireless car charger I bought from Sam's Club mounted to the dash and use AAWireless every single drive and have never had any heating issues whatsoever. My phone is not even warm to the touch, even after long drives.

When it comes to wireless Android Auto, the AAWireless dongle has come a long way and now works about 95% of the time, and the times it doesn't can be fixed in 5 seconds. Love the setup.

· Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
820 Posts
I have a wireless car charger I bought from Sam's Club mounted to the dash and use AAWireless every single drive
Can you link to the charger? I've been looking to add one. I almost agree with you on the AAWireless. I say almost because my success rate is >99% at this point. I was thinking this morning that it was time to prove another update on it.

· Registered
38 Posts
Dumb question but how do you pull out the charger? Looked at it and couldn’t decide if it slides out toward the 2nd row or up toward the rear view mirror, or if it’s got something else holding it in.
It’s got three tabs on the back and two clips on the bottom holding it in, just pop it straight up (towards the rear view mirror) and it will come out pretty easily. If you have a trim tool even better but it didn’t take much to pull mine out, I actually just pushed up with my thumbs and didn’t need to grab the trim tool lol.

· Registered
38 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were saying you ordered some Subaru wired console tray for phones that I was unaware of.
Sorry for the confusion, the console tray is the standard part that I’m missing since the wireless charger was installed at the factory. I’ve pulled out the wireless charger already and will be putting the plastic tray in its place. Like the Subaru charger was never there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts