Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just saw this, Android 11 brings wireless Android Auto to all phones - 9to5Google that Google will allow all devices with Android 11 (or able to upgrade) to use wireless Android.

It seems BMW is starting to support this, I wonder if Subaru will as well??

I know my Kenwood deck ddx5509s on another car has wireless and it's really sweet.. would be nice if Subaru supports it as well. They offer wifi in the car so in theory that's all it needs.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,839 Posts
Wireless AA and CP are not supported on the Ascent (or any Subaru) at the present time. Both will require new hardware. "Maybe" with the MY22 mid-cycle refresh...who knows? But that also means no backward compatibility. The AA announcement you mention is more about the phones, not the vehicles.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Kenwood uses wifi to connect wirelessly. The 8" unit has wifi capability. I'm sure they could do a software update if they choose to but I doubt that will happen then.

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
My Kenwood uses wifi to connect wirelessly. The 8" unit has wifi capability. I'm sure they could do a software update if they choose to but I doubt that will happen then.
This has already been discussed in other forum areas. Yes, the head unit has both Bluetooth and WiFi, but having them isn't enough. The system isn't capable of supporting CarPlay and AndroidAuto wirelessly despite having those features. It cannot be fixed with a software update...it's a hardware limitation. Subaru isn't alone in this, either...

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The VW Atlas 2021 has it, which is the same price range as the ascent ( But thei v6 sucks )
I'd expect Subaru will have it in the future, too. The Atlas is a model year earlier than the Ascent. Ascent's mid generation refresh is 2022, so, maybe then.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'd expect Subaru will have it in the future, too. The Atlas is a model year earlier than the Ascent. Ascent's mid generation refresh is 2022, so, maybe then.
Wireless AA and CP drains phone very fast, so fast not all Wireless chargers can keep up ... , and if you add Wireless charger to the car , you back to the same having to take out your phone ...
It is more of nice to have but really not needed/useful (not yet)

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is an interesting Indiegogo campaign that could solve the wireless AA issue for the Ascent.

"AAWireless | Indiegogo" AAWireless

·
Super Moderator
3,839 Posts
This is an interesting Indiegogo campaign that could solve the wireless AA issue for the Ascent.

"AAWireless | Indiegogo" AAWireless
Thing is...none of the makers for the "dongles" have been able to get them to work with Subaru to-date, to the best of my knowledge.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Crosstrek Limited
1 Posts
Thing is...none of the makers for the "dongles" have been able to get them to work with Subaru to-date, to the best of my knowledge.
Hi! In AAWireless' updates on Indiegogo, they provided a link to a Google Sheet where you can see which vehicles it has been tested on and whether it's working or not. On row 44 it says:
2019 Subaru Crosstrek LimitedWorking

I happen to have a 2020 Crosstrek Limited. Haven't decided if I'm going to buy a dongle, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts