Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
I thought my factory original blades were shot after just a couple months. They streaked and left marks. I decided to try cleaning them with lacquer thinner I had in the garage I got at Home Depot. After all, what did I have to lose? They were crap now, can't get worse. I kept wiping them down on a clean part of a rag until all the black was gone and they were cleaned. At first I felt a lot of rough stuff right on the edge, but it softened and scrapped off. When finished, the blades worked better than ever. Also, they never got dirty like that again and that was almost a year ago.

BTW, I wiped down the windshield with the lacquer thinner as well, then cleaned them with a Windex product of some generic brand. The glass is much smoother as well.
Just be sure to use that stuff outside, not in your garage. Even better if you wear a proper respirator. Lacquer thinner is nasty stuff for the body as well as uber-flammable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That is disappointing. I have not taken my wiper off the Ascent yet so may I ask. Is the wiper arm too wide or does the Ascent use a proprietary connector? The Bosch in you link looks like it came with three different connectors.

RobertD post this several months ago...Do you want to try Trico brand?

left- Trico Exact Fit 26-17b
right - Trico Exact Fit 20-17b

This was one of the major things that annoyed me with my old Tribeca. The driver's side wiper arm was too wide to accept a replacement wiper. I had to purchase wiper refills as the Subaru replacement was over $60 at the time and the Subaru wiper was the conventional, not the new blade style.
I thought my wipers were just fine until I got to 36200 miles. Then one night last week - smears. They are not torn. I missed the 36k deadline which I didn't know about until too late.
Don't imagine these are also replaceable under the Gold Plus Extended Warranty?

In any case, Subaru OEM blade assemblies for drivers & pass side are "Product Not Available" everywhere. The drivers side insert is also "Product Not Available" though the pass side 20 inch insert is available (P/N 86579XC07A).

Amazon is not helpful. Only shows the Trico 26-17B and rear blade assemblies, not the 20-17B. But these are the assemblies, not the inserts. I haven't looked in the books at parts stores yet.

Anyone have part numbers for inserts in an aftermarket brand? Meanwhile I will be trying to clean them with alcohol and/or lacquer thinnner.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i think our site sponsor always got blades in stock

Driver Side
Part Number: SOA591B726
Replaces Part Number: 86542FL030, 86542FL031, 86542SJ020, 86542XC03A

Passenger Side
Part Number: SOA591B720
Replaces Part Number: 86542XC07A

Rear
Part Number: SOA591R614
Replaces Part Number: SOA591U314R, 86548XA09A, 86542AG09A

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
108 Posts
I soak new wiper blades in 303 protectant overnight before installing them. It does lengthen the life of them.

Reading through this thread, I've noted the posts indicating that a delver didn't seem to know about replacement of wiper blades under the 3/36K warranty and also limiting it to only one replacement. It doesn't surprise me that a service department either misleads a customer or, more likely, doesn't know that the replacement is covered. Many years ago, I bought a car (not a Subaru) that had a 3/36,000 m ice bumper-to-bumper warranty. Within seven months, one of the fog lights blew out and I brought in for replacement. After the repair was complete, the service rep told me the charge for the bulb was "x" dollars. I told her that the car has a bumper-to-bumper warranty and she snidely replied that "there is no such thing". I marched out to my car, grabbed the warranty booklet, and showed her the text indicating that the car has a bumper-to-bumper warranty. She still insisted on charging me and I requested her supervisor. He said they'd make a one-time goodwill repair. It was maddening dealing with this place, Security Dodge on Long Island, horrible dealership.

The one time I did request replacement of my wiper blades for my 2015 Outback years back, the service rep said they weren't in need of replacing, they weren't streaking enough. I demonstrated to rep how bad they were streaking and then they replaced them. I was quite disappointed in them as I have always received great service in the past and afterwards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i think our site sponsor always got blades in stock

Driver Side
Part Number: SOA591B726
Replaces Part Number: 86542FL030, 86542FL031, 86542SJ020, 86542XC03A

Passenger Side
Part Number: SOA591B720
Replaces Part Number: 86542XC07A

Rear
Part Number: SOA591R614
Replaces Part Number: SOA591U314R, 86548XA09A, 86542AG09A
Thanks for this. Likely didn't check this vendor before. I was originally going to the parts diagrams for wiper blade inserts and finding them discontinued or not available on multiple sites.
Still can't find them, but this is a reasonable alternative and may be less frustrating to install.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts