Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
I talked to my Subaru Service at my local dealer. They will only replace 1 set of Wiper blades.
Well...the publicly displayed written warranty isn't specific about a number of times limitation for wiper blades or brake shoes outside if it being for the 3 year, 36K mile OEM warranty period...

·
Registered
597 Posts
Wow I didn't know the wiper blades were covered under warranty. I replaced my own this summer with some Bosch ones. It took a few tries to find the ones that would fit the Ascent as they have a clip type system instead of the hook.

I might have to take it in next spring to get new ones as they typically wear out during the winter months!

·
Super Moderator
2,589 Posts
Wow I didn't know the wiper blades were covered under warranty. I replaced my own this summer with some Bosch ones. It took a few tries to find the ones that would fit the Ascent as they have a clip type system instead of the hook.

I might have to take it in next spring to get new ones as they typically wear out during the winter months!
Did you save the OEM blades? They might not replace non-OEM wipers under warranty.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My dealer did not know about 3/36 too ... i offered him to log in to MySubaru account and show it to him in 2 places
the response was "ill take your word for it"
They also did not know for the 1st year it actually unlimited miles B to B and not 36k (not like ill need it )

·
Registered
154 Posts

What model of the Bosch did you get? This is the first for me having to search hard for non-oem replacements.

·
Registered
597 Posts
What model of the Bosch did you get? This is the first for me having to search hard for non-oem replacements.
Sorry for the long wait for a reply but I don't seem to have the box anymore but it was Bosch ICONs I think. I had to bring in the wiper blade and have them check it out and make sure the adapter matched as apparently their are a few different sizes of the clips they use and not all match correctly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
FOUND A SOLUTION--- advance auto but there is a story

my subaru dealer is 45 minutes away don't like the idea of only able to get them from dealer---what if traveling and....i need replacements FAST.

went to advance auto on a fluke, they have them in stock but $60 a front set whew wow big $$$
on their computer (not on website i have access to) they said they have SILICONE, YES SILICONE blades exact fit by sili-last i think for $40 must order them. next day delivery coming today ....$40 for a set of silicone blades, and 30% lest than brand name-- they also offer these for the forester (which i have both he 2019 and 2020 --lucky me, for my daughters) but out of stock will order so they can keep in the car.

i will have them show me the "exact fit adapter" before i pay and give you all an update

·
Registered
123 Posts
FOUND A SOLUTION--- advance auto but there is a story

my subaru dealer is 45 minutes away don't like the idea of only able to get them from dealer---what if traveling and....i need replacements FAST.

went to advance auto on a fluke, they have them in stock but $60 a front set whew wow big $$$
on their computer (not on website i have access to) they said they have SILICONE, YES SILICONE blades exact fit by sili-last i think for $40 must order them. next day delivery coming today ....$40 for a set of silicone blades, and 30% lest than brand name-- they also offer these for the forester (which i have both he 2019 and 2020 --lucky me, for my daughters) but out of stock will order so they can keep in the car.

i will have them show me the "exact fit adapter" before i pay and give you all an update
NOPE NOPE NOPE DIDN'T WORK couldn't connect will just get the subaru ones from somewhere

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
NOPE NOPE NOPE DIDN'T WORK couldn't connect will just get the subaru ones from somewhere
I suggest talking with the service and parts managers at your dealership. If this is the dealership you typically use for service I do not see why they would not make arrangements to ship you the blades 3 or 4 times per year since they are supposed to be free to you during the warranty period. No one should argue about 3 or 4 replacements per year. Actually what would probably be better is if they just give you the 3 blades sets so you can install them yourself when you need to. The 4th set or thereabout can be had when you come in for an oil change.

rinse - repeat.

this is a simple solution that builds relationships with no costs to anyone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That is disappointing. I have not taken my wiper off the Ascent yet so may I ask. Is the wiper arm too wide or does the Ascent use a proprietary connector? The Bosch in you link looks like it came with three different connectors.

RobertD post this several months ago...Do you want to try Trico brand?

left- Trico Exact Fit 26-17b
right - Trico Exact Fit 20-17b

This was one of the major things that annoyed me with my old Tribeca. The driver's side wiper arm was too wide to accept a replacement wiper. I had to purchase wiper refills as the Subaru replacement was over $60 at the time and the Subaru wiper was the conventional, not the new blade style.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont have a part number handy but replacement wipers are included in your warranty so you can just ask the dealer next time you're in there.
Sadly this isn't the case in Canada... Subaru specific is saying that the following is NOT COVERED -

"performance of any normal maintenance service and replacement of any normal maintenance itwm includes spark plugs, drive belts, wiper blades, hoses, lubrication and replacement of filters, coolant, fuses, worn brake and clutch linings, worn or scored breaks rotors or drums, engine performance adjustments, headlight aiming, wiper arm tension and sweep, worn blades or refills, wheel alignment, and other items subject to normal wear and tear are not covered under warranty and are considered owner's responsibility. NOTE: Light bulbs and lamps will be covered for 1 year/20,000km)"

My American neighbors, I like your warranty way better!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found this thread again after buying new blades for the first time. The originals held up really well and forgot to ask about replacement before the warranty ran out. For what it's worth, I just installed the Michelin wipers from Costco. Unlike the earlier poster, I was able to get them to work, but not before incorrectly putting one on and damaging the blade slightly trying to remove it.

Figuring out the right pieces was tricky for me -- the included drawings were helpful, but not great. You have to remove the pre-attached cover, snap on a new piece that has the little button that holds it in place and the larger cover. All the pieces are included. I don't have anything to report on how good they are, as I've just installed them.

I took some pics, but don't know how helpful they would be. If you have issues with the Michelin blades, let me know and I'll try to help.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Found this thread again after buying new blades for the first time. The originals held up really well and forgot to ask about replacement before the warranty ran out. For what it's worth, I just installed the Michelin wipers from Costco. Unlike the earlier poster, I was able to get them to work, but not before incorrectly putting one on and damaging the blade slightly trying to remove it.

Figuring out the right pieces was tricky for me -- the included drawings were helpful, but not great. You have to remove the pre-attached cover, snap on a new piece that has the little button that holds it in place and the larger cover. All the pieces are included. I don't have anything to report on how good they are, as I've just installed them.

I took some pics, but don't know how helpful they would be. If you have issues with the Michelin blades, let me know and I'll try to help.
are those winter blades?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I thought my factory original blades were shot after just a couple months. They streaked and left marks. I decided to try cleaning them with lacquer thinner I had in the garage I got at Home Depot. After all, what did I have to lose? They were crap now, can't get worse. I kept wiping them down on a clean part of a rag until all the black was gone and they were cleaned. At first I felt a lot of rough stuff right on the edge, but it softened and scrapped off. When finished, the blades worked better than ever. Also, they never got dirty like that again and that was almost a year ago.

BTW, I wiped down the windshield with the lacquer thinner as well, then cleaned them with a Windex product of some generic brand. The glass is much smoother as well.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I thought my factory original blades were shot after just a couple months. They streaked and left marks. I decided to try cleaning them with lacquer thinner I had in the garage I got at Home Depot. After all, what did I have to lose? They were crap now, can't get worse. I kept wiping them down on a clean part of a rag until all the black was gone and they were cleaned. At first I felt a lot of rough stuff right on the edge, but it softened and scrapped off. When finished, the blades worked better than ever. Also, they never got dirty like that again and that was almost a year ago.

BTW, I wiped down the windshield with the lacquer thinner as well, then cleaned them with a Windex product of some generic brand. The glass is much smoother as well.
Okay, now you can come over and do mine. ;)

21 - 40 of 47 Posts