Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hit the YouTube link for more details. It's a pretty nifty little "test" that they did.

The authors noted the following that was of-interest to me. I will use their bullet-point numbering to expand.

(1) 1- That Subaru Ascent is equipped with non-studded Toyo OBSERVE GSI-5 winter tires. We could equip it in time with Nokian's Studded tires but that's gonna be for another time!

While a decent straight-line snow-mover, this tire doesn't do particularly well laterally, and is also not a top-tier tire in terms of ice traction. Given the physical conditions of the test, I'd really like to see the test done with a top-tier "Studless Ice & Snow" offering. There's little true data on the GSI-5, but extrapolating from the previous-generation tire as well Toyo's historical winter tire peformance, while they're typically solid mid-pack runners, they definitely would not be my first choice

5- Snow condition: You can't see it, but it was slippery as ****! Black ice under 3-10 cm of fluffy light snow and ultracold temperature! Our cameraman froze its fingers in a few minutes outside.

I am curious about how the studded Hakkas will handle this test. Typically, extreme cold is the playground of Studless Ice and Snow tires as temperatures below -19 deg. C. (approx. -4 deg. F.), where the ice actually becomes too hard for studded tires to "chip into" optimally. That said, the Nokians - assuming that they pick up the Hakka 9 or 8 variants - are a top-tier offerings, and the better engineered tread design or compounding both can potentially catapult performance to the next level.

It would be an interesting comparison, but it's really too bad that they could not run it on the same day, so a repeat test will carry less meaning than it otherwise already would have (as they are repeatedly using that same patch of roadway). Ice testing is notoriously hard to replicate and keep fair, as temperature and other environmental conditions drastically skews outcomes (this is why Tire Rack's ice-rink test, while it bears little real-world validity, actually contains a lot of good internal validity - whereas the best specialty winter testing centers such as Test World Mellatracks Proving Grounds provide levels of "grooming" that are sought out by manufacturers for R&D).

7- Break-Over angle, with so much ice, physics send the Ascent sideways and we don't want to have the top of the hill in that middle point where we would get stuck! We don't like to call for help with a Subaru!

This is huge. Even with winter tires, high-centering the vehicle will still render it just as helpless as any other.

The testers here were obviously well aware of the underlying terrain: but when you're out there forging your own, exercise care!

·
Registered
668 Posts
That's a very good question - and one which could impact performance considerably.

I could not find details in either the descriptions of their videos so far, nor the Q/As that followed.

Those are factory wheels, so I am going to guess either factory sizing or a 235/55.

·
Registered
107 Posts
That's a very good question - and one which could impact performance considerably.

I could not find details in either the descriptions of their videos so far, nor the Q/As that followed.

Those are factory wheels, so I am going to guess either factory sizing or a 235/55.
Thank you sir i just found and ordered these NokianT430293. Tire Detail, 245/60R18 109T $575 shipped Autoplicity. Good rating for a non studded snow -Still made in Finland.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts