Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two related questions for the group, since I have no experience with a Subaru in winter (yet) (and I assume Outback/Forester experience from others applies):

(1) What do people plan on getting for winter traction (non-studded) tires on the Ascent? I have a friend who loves the Nokian Hakkapeliitta on his OB, but I'm open to all recommendations. Also, getting a second set of cheap wheels is the way to go, yes? I know tire pressure monitors adds a wrinkle...
Oh and also, would it make sense to get 18” wheels/tires for winter, as long as diameter is the same as the 20” stock wheels/tires?

(2) The manual says (p 385): "Tire chains cannot be used on your vehicle because of the lack of clearance between the tires and vehicle body." Then shortly after it states: "Make certain that any traction device you use is an SAE class S device, and use it on the front wheels only." Seems contradictory...I'm pretty sure I'm just not understanding. And I'm pretty sure this is the same text in the OB manual (and probably Forester/CrossTrek). Are "chains" usable?
(This isn't a question of if I NEED chains, just if they can be used. Some roads in the West require chains, AWD/4WD or not, so it is irrelevant if they're needed.)
Thanks for thoughts!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
(1) absolutely nothing. I expect it to handle as well as my Outback without a tire change. I will likely be running all-terrain tires year round by next week though. But, I've run my Outback on Continental ContiProContact tires for years in blizzards, on my Outback.

If you live in the mountains, maybe consider something more aggressive than the stock tires.

(2) there are certain cables one can get, but chains won't fit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts