Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Winter Tire Noise?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  TSiWRX 
#1 ·
I know many people get winter tires for their Ascents, but my question is how much road noise do they create when the pavement is wet/dry. A previous car I had, had Blizzaks, and the noise was terrible. Granted the car was a 2004 Mazda. We don’t have terrible winter snow, just an occasional snow dump.

#2 ·
Depends on the car, depends on the tire, depends on the pavement. My Falken Wildpeaks (even thought not a true winter tire) are not loud at all on the Ascent. The difference isn't noticeable from the stock Falkens.

The Toyo Observe GSI-5's and Blizzak WS-80s on my Forester weren't loud at all. The Blizzak's maybe a touch louder than the Observes. If you had Blizzak DM-V2's on the Mazda, that might be loud.

Where do you live? The Ascents are so great in the snow to begin with, that you might be fine without running dedicated winters.

#3 ·
^ This, +1.

It's also highly subjective - every single one of us registers sounds differently.

Overall, PackerLrs, the Ascent's cabin is well-insulated versus NVH, and to an extent, even the laminated front side windows help to quell road-noise.

However, this is an area where anyone can readily see and viscerally come to an understanding of why the OE tires are what they are, and to get an idea of how much effort the manufacturers go to, to make sure that cabin NVH is held to what they deem acceptable per the intent of the vehicle.

Reactions: JustinPoe
#4 ·
I have General winter tires on mine, and honestly I think it is a little bit louder but it's not something you notice most of the time. If you've got the HVAC on, or the radio on you won't notice it at all.I don't know if tire diameter makes a difference but I downsized from the touring's twenties, to 18-inch wheels and tires for winter. Going smaller also gives you more flexibility with tire sizes ( check out some of the older posts regarding winter tires and long term costs of mounting winter wheels on the factory rims vs. Winter wheels and tires).

#6 ·
All -

Note that "Blizzak" covers a wide range of Bridgestone winter tires - tires which, BTW, do not share the same tread pattern or compound.

Aside from different fitments, the differing manner in which vehicles are insulated from NVH will tremendously affect perceived tire-noise/vibration outside of the differences in perception by the unique driver.

#9 ·
Two weeks ago I had this conversation with my wife as we drove the 2019 Ascent Limited. (Denver area). I have Blizzaks mounted (tomorrow I change them back to all seasons). We both noticed and commented how quite they are. I was expecting much more noise, but very pleased with the performance and quietness.

#10 ·
Blizzaks are definitely the way to go if you do a little bit more performance-oriented driving in the winter. and I think the noise factor is pretty much negated by wind, HVAC, and audio noise anyway.

I haven't used them in ages, I don't want to encourage myself in the bad weather, so I stick with my tried-and-true general winter tires.

#11 ·
Blizzaks are definitely the way to go if you do a little bit more performance-oriented driving in the winter.
You'll want to specify which "Blizzaks" as well as what that "performance" actually means. ;)

It's known that the "Studless Ice and Snow" sub-category Blizzaks - the WS-series - really aren't that great in terms of "performance oriented driving" either in clear conditions or on well-groomed roads/highways.

This versus the LM-series, which are "Performance Winters."

But the scenario is flipped when that "performance" is the ability to plow through deeper powder or when fighting for traction on icy hardpack.

:)

Remember that "Blizzak" is just Bridgestone's generic term for the majority of their winter tire line. Going into a tire store and asking for "Blizzaks" would be akin to going in to Baskin Robins and asking for "ice cream." ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.