Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I noticed a big crack on my windshield and it needs to be replaced. Going thru insurance company and scheduled a replacement with Safelite. Do I need to take the car to a dealership to recalibrate Eyesight? Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Two points - first, make sure that Safelite uses a Subaru windshield. Others on here have suggested in previous posts that no one yet makes an aftermarket windshield for the Ascent, and that may be true, but I know when I had the windshield replaced on my 2015 Forester two years ago it was replaced with an aftermarket brand windshield and not one from Subaru. But since our Forester doesn't have the Eyesight system, it was no big deal. And second, ask the Safelite dealer if they're certified to recalibrate the Eyesight system. A local glass-replacement business that our local Subaru dealer uses here in western Washington (St. Louis Auto Glass) is certified to do the recalibration, but I suspect many, if not most, aftermarket glass installers are not, meaning you will have to take the car to a dealer for that service. I suggest talking to your dealer first before getting the windshield replaced as they may have names of local glass installers who are certified in recalibrating the Eyesight system, if any, so you can get everything done in just one visit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was curious about this too. I just brought my ascent home a few days agi and reached out to insurance (aaa) after the dealer tried to sell a windshield protection plan for $800. I confirmed insurance would cover reolacement, and Ive always used safelite to fill chips, so will be interesting to see if they do the calibration. I should have asked insurance if they cover the recalibration too but I assume so

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Subaru requires replacement windshields be OEM not aftermarket. Secondly, I recently spoke with Safelight and they are still training their personnel on the re calibration for the Ascent eyesight which they suggest is a bit different than the other Subaru models. I would suggest at this point going to the dealer. If I went to Safelight I would get in writing that they would use OEM and re-calibrate eyesight. I would also check the specification sheets for the actual replacement to be certain they really used OEM.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Dealer told me a new windshield is $1200 on the Outback and a bit more on the Ascent. Yikes!
Yeah, it's about $800 - $900 for the windshield and $400 for the recalibration. I think the guys in our shop have it down to where they can get it (the recalibration) done in right at two hours. It's NOT a quick and easy process.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I recently had to replace mine. Took 4 weeks to get it in stock for a Touring. Safelite ordered OEM. Safelite does not have the recalibration program in house for the Ascent yet - they are still waiting for Subaru to release it - that's what I was told. I took mine to the dealership the same day as my windshield was replaced. It took them about an hour to do the recalibration. My charge that I submitted to my insurance to pay was about $165.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
that is what I had heard as well from Safelight. I am curious to learn what constitutes OEM glass as compared to "OEM like glass". How would I know if in fact OEM is being used? I know many have posted that it may not matter, but if Subaru is requiring it than the "IT" should be used and there ought to be a way to document the difference prior to installation.

·
Registered
334 Posts
that is what I had heard as well from Safelight. I am curious to learn what constitutes OEM glass as compared to "OEM like glass". How would I know if in fact OEM is being used? I know many have posted that it may not matter, but if Subaru is requiring it than the "IT" should be used and there ought to be a way to document the difference prior to installation.

I was told that there were no other manufacturers at this point in time so every windshield has to be ordered from Subaru. I know the Touring has something special in the glass for the rain sensing wipers - can't remember exactly how it's configured. I did ask the installer about that but promptly forgot his explanation. It may be that at least for the Touring, OEM is all that will every be available. Hopefully the inventory will increase so the wait time diminishes!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
The Subaru OEM windshield says “Subaru” on the lower right corner (plus some other wording) when facing the car. My non-Eyesight equipped 2015 Forester’s non-OEM replacement windshield has the brand name “Pilkington EZ-Kool” on the lower left corner - pretty easy to tell the difference based on the labeling. Bottomline is if the windshield is not stamped with Subaru then it’s not an OEM windshield.

·
Super Moderator
2,577 Posts
It’s been a while since anyone talked about windshields!
I got chipped by a rock today ?
On my way home I called the local Subaru for a new windshield quote: $974!!!! ?
Thankfully it’s only a little smaller than a quarter so it’s getting repaired for <$100. I went straight to Safelite before it had a chance to spread and require replacement! It doesn’t look like it should interfere with eyesight. I guess I’ll have to wait and see. For $900 I’ll take my chances!

Edit: she looks so pretty just sitting in the parking lot patiently waiting to be fixed!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
The Subaru OEM windshield says “Subaru” on the lower right corner (plus some other wording) when facing the car. My non-Eyesight equipped 2015 Forester’s non-OEM replacement windshield has the brand name “Pilkington EZ-Kool” on the lower left corner - pretty easy to tell the difference based on the labeling. Bottomline is if the windshield is not stamped with Subaru then it’s not an OEM windshield.
the windshields for Subaru are made by AGC per SOA, and yes they would be stamped Subaru on them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts