Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you may know when it is time to replace the Ascent windshield, it is "required" to re-calibrate eyesight. The dealers are obviously trained and equipped to re-calibrate. Most glass repair shops will replace the windshield and then send it over to the dealer or have you arrange w2ith the dealer for the re-calibration. I just learned that Novus glass can do the re-calibration in house.

Novus is a innovator in the glass repair business and I was happy to learn they also are a preferred provider with my insurance so I can get the chip repair for free when the time arises. Check with your closest location to determine if they too are capable of the re-calibration in house and free chip repair.

update: the calibration machine costs $25K on top of training costs.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Only problem is after market windshields do not last as long as factory originals. I've been thru this a few times where a jobber window shop replaced my windshield and within a month my windshield looked like it had been sandblasted. My 7 year old cracked original windshield still looked good. I've been disappointed in this problem a few times. Now I go to the dealer instead.. particularly if the insurance will pay for it.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only problem is after market windshields do not last as long as factory originals. I've been thru this a few times where a jobber window shop replaced my windshield and within a month my windshield looked like it had been sandblasted. My 7 year old cracked original windshield still looked good. I've been disappointed in this problem a few times. Now I go to the dealer instead.. particularly if the insurance will pay for it.
After market is not an issue since the requirement is OEM factory replacements only. Insurance covers the OEM since it is a manufacturer requirement.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I went with the dealer for two reasons. First they were about $200 cheaper and second with a rain sensor and eyesight and other unknown interrelated gizmos it seamed good to have the dealer replace my windshield. That way if anything happens to any of the fancy systems and gizmos then I won’t have the dealer blaming the glass company or the glass company blaming the dealer.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a bad approach. My cost is going to be the same. Just my deductable (250). Pros and cons - the dealer is probably better at the calibration (although same traing), and the glass place is probably better at the replacement. My replacement I had done at a gas store and the brought it over to the dealer for calibration, but I like the idea of one stop service (with a good dealer and glass place I suspect they would step up with any problems).

·
Registered
41 Posts
My 2019 surprised us with a crack this morning. After reading discussions here, I decided to let State Farm take care of it with my 0$ deductible. Talked with the Safelite rep and they do the calibration in-house. She read a legal statement that said EyeSight is part of the safety system so insurance will pay for the whole job. I'll dodge the class action lawsuit on windshields. Maybe it won't be as quiet as OEM? I don't know, but I'll feel better knowing I'm not taking a chance on questionable glass.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2019 surprised us with a crack this morning. After reading discussions here, I decided to let State Farm take care of it with my 0$ deductible. Talked with the Safelite rep and they do the calibration in-house. She read a legal statement that said EyeSight is part of the safety system so insurance will pay for the whole job. I'll dodge the class action lawsuit on windshields. Maybe it won't be as quiet as OEM? I don't know, but I'll feel better knowing I'm not taking a chance on questionable glass.
You will be getting OEM. No aftermarket glass exist for the Ascent. In addition, Subaru requires you to use OEM as the replacement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok. I called Safelite back to ask about the glass. This time the guy said they get their glass from top tier makers and the only difference from the dealer is Subaru puts their label in/on it. If there's only one available for Ascent, it will be interesting to see if it says Subaru or not.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I called Safelite back to ask about the glass. This time the guy said they get their glass from top tier makers and the only difference from the dealer is Subaru puts their label in/on it. If there's only one available for Ascent, it will be interesting to see if it says Subaru or not.
if it is OEM it must say Subaru even if it is made the same as their non OEM (despite proclamations to that, they are not always the same quality). Safelight is required to install OEM not OEE glass on your Subaru.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The insurance guy said I would have to pay the difference if I wanted Subaru on the glass. Maybe he was mistaken. He had Safelite call me to arrange replacement. The rep read some "legal" requirement to me that talked about the fancy stuff in the windshield. My hearing aid happened to start beeping the dying battery warning while she was reading it so I didn't catch it all. At any rate she knew the car, actually identifying the Touring trim by the color of the interior.

·
Administrator
10,942 Posts
The insurance guy said I would have to pay the difference if I wanted Subaru on the glass. Maybe he was mistaken. He had Safelite call me to arrange replacement. The rep read some "legal" requirement to me that talked about the fancy stuff in the windshield. My hearing aid happened to start beeping the dying battery warning while she was reading it so I didn't catch it all. At any rate she knew the car, actually identifying the Touring trim by the color of the interior.
I'd love to know what exclusion they think permits forcing you to get aftermarket instead of OEM.

Regardless, I don't think I've seen any aftermarket Touring windshields yet. Make sure you check your rain sensor to see if it's properly attached and working.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I'd love to know what exclusion they think permits forcing you to get aftermarket instead of OEM.

Regardless, I don't think I've seen any aftermarket Touring windshields yet. Make sure you check your rain sensor to see if it's properly attached and working.
Price ... OEM part replacement is an add on option to your insurance in many states (TX included )
Safelight claim they have it ...checking rain sensor is the only way to go

BTW Subaru OEM glass is now down to $350-380 MSRP use to be $800-1000

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Funny in my case the dealer was cheaper than safelite by about $200, will your insurance give you the difference if the dealer is cheaper than safelite? Seems fair to me...oh yeah...insurance companies...silly me!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Safelight is required to install OEM not OEE glass on your Subaru.
I don't doubt your statement but I haven't been able to find that in my searches. I also don't know how Subaru would even be involved in my repair, except that I talked to the dealer about options first. Now that it's in Safelite/State Farm hands, is the requirement a contractual requirement between Safelite and Subaru? Also good to see the OEM price has dropped significantly. Maybe it means more than one company is making windshields now.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are legally required to install OEM. I would ask them to quote you the clause the allows them to not do that. I would then take the issue to Subaru of America. Safelight is not going to be happy. Subaru makes no exceptions for the OEM. Your insurance guy does not know what he is talking about and I would document all conversations and email (preferably put everything in writing).

I would not play games with them. If they persist do NOT use Safelight and just go to the dealer or NOVUS.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I forwarded your comments to my insurance agent. He thanked me for that and commented that he was surprised at how complicated the windshields have become. He didn't push back when I said the only windshield available is OEM and it's required by Subaru so it will have Subaru on it. I'm going to call Safelite again tomorrow to verify that. The appointment is Monday. We're leaving for a vacation the following Friday. Meanwhile the crack keeps growing.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hope the crack does not grow to where it is in front of the camera. Mine did that and if the sun hit it just right it would slam on the brakes as if I was about to hit something.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I forwarded your comments to my insurance agent. He thanked me for that and commented that he was surprised at how complicated the windshields have become. He didn't push back when I said the only windshield available is OEM and it's required by Subaru so it will have Subaru on it. I'm going to call Safelite again tomorrow to verify that. The appointment is Monday. We're leaving for a vacation the following Friday. Meanwhile the crack keeps growing.
one reason for OEM requirement is to assure transparency for eyesight. Not all manufacturers maintain the high quality for that purpose.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 34 Posts