Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So, we've discussed paint (chip) protection in another thread, but I'm equally as interested in windshield protection. I hate chips, scratches and cracks on my windshield. Especially with how much an Eyesight windshield costs to replace (and we're all getting such a windshield).

Has anyone ever tried something like this?
https://clearplex.com/

Thoughts? Is there another method or product that works?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Man, I'd be all over that. Most of trips take me to the mountains but I have to get through West Texas into NM to get there. My last two trips have seen 2 windshield chips and 1 rock hit right in front of my face hard enough for glass to come down onto the dash. Almost ruined the trip if I hadn't had some duct tape. All the fracking trucks in the area are coming off of dirt roads and just launching projectiles out of their wheel wells into oncoming traffic pretty scary. That bad one was a bummer because Safelite didn't seem to replace my Outback windshield with the right one. I'm pretty annoyed. Would LOVE to avoid this crap in the future.

·
Registered
978 Posts
A friend has one of the rare last of the old school custom audio / car shops. He has a employee who does install 3m clear bra and the 3m security films. I asked about it a few yrs ago. They have installed it on the windshields of overlanders going over seas to really out of the way places where replacing a windshield is near impossible etc. Desert race trucks etc,

He said no for every day Joes given it scratches it does not wear like glass. But it provides a big step up in glass damage prevention. 99.9% of his jobs are store front glass for smash and grab prevention.

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm probably going to try it then, and see what happens. I know phone protector films have improved a lot, to the point that the really good ones don't seem to scratch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just sent off some questions to the local installer about pricing and Eyesight. I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just sent off some questions to the local installer about pricing and Eyesight. I'll let you know what I find out.
Doing the same (Eyesight part) with the manufacturer. Their FAQ doesn't address it (but of course, it's a Subaru specific problem). I may also send an email to SoA and get their thoughts.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would have it plotter cut to fit the window and not over the eyesight area. Side windows I’ve debated but not front glass. Its not cheap 3m holds the pattent and is essentially the only source for the real deal. Its pricy stuff regarding the raw material.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just a interesting factoid. 3M was aporoached by the US Army and asked if they could figure out a coating, paint or something to protect the leading edges of the helicopter blades operating in course sandy regions. The sand blowing up in the wash was trashing the blades. 3m had been working on a impact reactive polymer coating and figured out how to bond it to plastic sheets. Bingo the clear bra product was born.

It was a game changer for the Army. The mechanics simply rolled on a tape then when it started getting worn they would peel it off and roll on a new strip. No more blade replacements needed.

This material isn’t just a facy plastic. Its actually a reactive material that reacts to impacts. Lots of knock offs out there sell plastic. 3M is the only patent holder to the real stuff.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi all,

So, we've discussed paint (chip) protection in another thread, but I'm equally as interested in windshield protection. I hate chips, scratches and cracks on my windshield. Especially with how much an Eyesight windshield costs to replace (and we're all getting such a windshield).

Has anyone ever tried something like this?
https://clearplex.com/

Thoughts? Is there another method or product that works?
I hadn't heard anything on expense of the windshield due to Eyesight. Is it that much more expensive to replace than a regular windshield? Is Subaru's glass more prone to chips?

I know one of my friends who worked for an Insurance Company said if the glass is expensive you should lower your car deductible to $0 and just go through insurance to get it replaced if you really need it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
With eyesight, they recommend that if the glass has to be replaced, then the "Eyesight" needs to be re-calibrated. So my $0 deductible window actually cost me ~$150 - that's what it cost for the re-calibration. Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Glass is just listed with 3 levels of quality typically. OEM Quality level is often used by glass installers as the term to describe what’s typically just glass from the same supplier with the same level of quality and same features etc. Going to a dealer for a windshield is like going to your dentist for a haircut except for the right price the dealer will “handle it”.

Example mercedes dealer wanted $1200 to replace the cracked windshield in my SLK350. The local go to guy for on site window replacement did it for $400 and texted me a link to where I could buy the Mercedes glass sticker $10 to make it look original. The actual glass was from the same supplier that provided the original glass.

Our Ford Fusion same story. My Land Cruiser same. My OB so far 100,000 no window replacement needed yet..

We don’t get insurance coverage for windshields in our state

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It gets worse than that. Pilkington apparently makes a bunch of Subaru glass, or so some of the Subaru mechanics that I talked to thought.

The replacement Pilkington glass Safelite put in my car is trash in comparison to the OEM one (which I am pretty sure wasn't Pilkington). Utter trash with poor finishing, terrible tint strip, ineffective wiper deicer and more. We tried two windshields, and Pilkington was the best they had. I couldn't afford the few hundred dollars more for OEM.

Safelite told me all the other aftermarket options they had were worse, and that the only step up was OEM, which I or they would have to order through a dealership.

The non OEM side window replacement has visible vertical ripples in it. They already replaced it once. The replacement is the same. At least the tint is almost the same level, but I have doubts on UV blocking since the glass is terrible quality. We spent half hour looking for the best of the bunch they had in stock. Felt like trying to pick the best piece of lumber off of a pile of rotting lumber at a bad lumber yard.

That's all for my 2010 Subaru Outback.

I'm demanding OEM if I ever need Subaru auto glass again. The complaints about it are better than anything Safelite can get.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's exactly what I've seen. Whatever Safelite put in is awful and fragile. I wasn't offered anything better. Now I know.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Try a different glass installer. Safelite is a big chain with fixed supplier etc. The “go to” guy in our area gets his glass from a top supplier I haven’t seen any difference between the original and what he called oem in the replacement. My Mercedes 05 windshield replaced in 2013 even had identical maker part number stamped in the corner.

I think the installer glass source is a big part in that with Safelite. I’ve never used them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Try a different glass installer. Safelite is a big chain with fixed supplier etc. The “go to” guy in our area gets his glass from a top supplier I haven’t seen any difference between the original and what he called oem in the replacement. My Mercedes 05 windshield replaced in 2013 even had identical maker part number stamped in the corner.

I think the installer glass source is a big part in that with Safelite. I’ve never used them.
Speaking with some higher end collision shops might a good idea if they are willing to disclose that kind of information. I don't think its too much to ask, some might be happy to tell you.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Since this is coming up now, here's our side of things.

There is no non-OEM supplier of glass windshields that are eyesight rated. Subaru does not recommend ANY coating on the exterior of the windshield, not even putting Rain-X on it. (I admit, one reason for this is simply at highway speeds, without the wipers going and simply depending upon the Rain-X to move the water, you end up with huge drops of water towards the top of the windshield that can physically block the cameras.) Placing a protective film over the outside of the windshield may make the cameras - and more importantly, the computer that actually analyzes and reads the images from the camera - not register something properly.

If an eyesight windshield is damaged and must be replaced, the eyesight cameras must be re-calibrated with the new windshield in place. This takes our service department a little under two hours of time to do. There have been many people who post on other forums that they have never done so and have never had a problem - my name for those people is an accident waiting to happen, simply because they don't KNOW if the eyesight system is functioning correctly, they simply assume so.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With eyesight, they recommend that if the glass has to be replaced, then the "Eyesight" needs to be re-calibrated. So my $0 deductible window actually cost me ~$150 - that's what it cost for the re-calibration. Anyone else do this?
I have glass coverage on my car insurance and had to use it several times over my lifetime. I currently have a BMW X3 with a heads up display as well as the front camera and was told that it would need to be calibrated.

The windshield on my X3 cracked and when I called Geico to have it replaced they also told me they would pay for the recalibration. I can lay it out and submit to them the payment and they will reimburse me. I did not end up needing it calibrated although the Rain Sensing wipers do not seem to work as well as before. Geico also approved BMW windshield and not a Safelite glass based on the fact of the HUD.

If I read correctly the Ascent has a HUD for the system warnings and such. If that is the case and you need to make sure you let the agent know you have the special glass if it does use it.

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OEM Quality level is often used by glass installers as the term to describe what’s typically just glass from the same supplier with the same level of quality and same features etc.
Except for in the case of Safelite who horrendously misuses the term for every piece of glass they've put into my Subaru (4 total).

Going to a dealer for a windshield is like going to your dentist for a haircut except for the right price the dealer will “handle it”.
I should have found someplace else, other than Safelite... :crying:

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I read correctly the Ascent has a HUD for the system warnings and such. If that is the case and you need to make sure you let the agent know you have the special glass if it does use it.
Yes, you read correctly, and I verified that with the Subaru Product Manager at the NYIAS. I didn't see any visible differences in the glass, but that doesn't mean that:
  • It isn't something that's in the lamination layer between the two pieces of glass that make up a windshield.
  • It wasn't on the press cars (production cars actually don't get made until next month, so, there might be diferences - I think I spotted a couple already)

·
Registered
34 Posts
new post to an old thread......With the implementation of the ejection mitigation law this year, all windshields and front side windows should be a lot more durable, regardless of where they are sourced from. Auto manufacturers are referring to the glass as 'sound-insulating' because of the additional lamination's additional sound-deadening properties. Aftermarket suppliers will be required to meet the same durability standards. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/571.226 In certain sanctioned racing, interior safety film is required on windshields made from glass. Exterior film isn't used as much for competition because of the use of tear-off packs. I've considered using safety film for the interior of my own track car. It won't be scratched as easily and will actually protect my handsome face from flying glass.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts