Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See photo. I noticed this the other day - looks like a piece of plastic trim on the bottom edge of the windshield is not installed correctly. I haven't had any windshield problems/fixes, so this likely was manufactured this way with the trim tabs in front instead of tucked behind the glass. (I took delivery of this Ascent in Oct 2018.)
  • For those of you who know your way around the windshield, is this an easy self-fix, maybe just apply some downward force to get the trim tabs back behind the glass? I was hesitant to push hard on it - didn't want to crack the glass or anything before the dealer got to see that the car came this way.
  • If it requires removal of the glass, do you think it's worth having the dealer do it? The trim probably doesn't keep water out (looks like a press fit with no gaskets), but it does keep leaves and debris out. I just don't want to start a process where other stuff might get broken by a fix that wasn't wholly necessary to begin with. I hadn't noticed previously it because the driver'a side wiper hides it.
  • No matter what, I'll point it out to the dealer so it's not my fault, fix or no. For instance, if the glass eventually cracks here because it's unsupported or has too much force binding it, I want the replacement done under warranty.
Otherwise, love the vehicle. Coming up on 16K, 9 months old!

F.S.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
I posted last October all about my windshield that was defective. I had to go to Subaru of America to get satisfaction. My passenger window had fingerprints in the laminate. You could not clean it off. Then whenever it rained I couldn’t see through the windshield. And on sunny days there was 1000’s of glistening dots. I had serious problems. After months of arguing with Subaru they replaced windshield and driver & front passenger windows. Basically all the laminated windows. No problem with back windows. Do what we did, contact Subaru of America

·
Registered
567 Posts
I posted last October all about my windshield that was defective. I had to go to Subaru of America to get satisfaction. My passenger window had fingerprints in the laminate. You could not clean it off. Then whenever it rained I couldn’t see through the windshield. And on sunny days there was 1000’s of glistening dots. I had serious problems. After months of arguing with Subaru they replaced windshield and driver & front passenger windows. Basically all the laminated windows. No problem with back windows. Do what we did, contact Subaru of America
No reason for them to contact SOA without going to the dealership for a resolution first. Suppose we all called or emailed SOA for every issue we had - before attempting to get it fixed locally.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
It probably requires removing the wiper arms and some clips, and then putting the top edge in first, but because of how expensive the glass is, I'd have the dealership fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
See photo. I noticed this the other day - looks like a piece of plastic trim on the bottom edge of the windshield is not installed correctly. I haven't had any windshield problems/fixes, so this likely was manufactured this way with the trim tabs in front instead of tucked behind the glass. (I took delivery of this Ascent in Oct 2018.)
  • For those of you who know your way around the windshield, is this an easy self-fix, maybe just apply some downward force to get the trim tabs back behind the glass? I was hesitant to push hard on it - didn't want to crack the glass or anything before the dealer got to see that the car came this way.
  • If it requires removal of the glass, do you think it's worth having the dealer do it? The trim probably doesn't keep water out (looks like a press fit with no gaskets), but it does keep leaves and debris out. I just don't want to start a process where other stuff might get broken by a fix that wasn't wholly necessary to begin with. I hadn't noticed previously it because the driver'a side wiper hides it.
  • No matter what, I'll point it out to the dealer so it's not my fault, fix or no. For instance, if the glass eventually cracks here because it's unsupported or has too much force binding it, I want the replacement done under warranty.
Otherwise, love the vehicle. Coming up on 16K, 9 months old!

F.S.
Bought a new Ascent the end of May and taken a few long trips. I am noticing numerous small chips on my windshield after only 10,000 miles. Not my first car and am beginning to think the glass is susceptible to slight impact issues. Too soft or too hard. Now that I see others are mentioning it, I’ll point it out during my next service.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, looks like the dealer took care of it when the bodyshop (for a rear-end collision fix, see other thread) sent it over to finish the rear-end work. I figured while it was at the dealership, they could take care of warranty items, so I gave them a list (windshield mounting, WUV07 CVT, WUU06 ECU, and then 24K service).

Glad they did the windshield, but the service guy is a non-communicator and just won't call me back (he did not list the windshield in the work invoice, and I have no idea if they did the oil or tire rotation; three phone messages to him, nada, nothing). Whatever. Next dealer. Pinheads.

F.S. Automotive exterior Vehicle Vehicle door Car Windshield

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmmm...I've noticed hundreds (maybe not thousands) of "glistening dots" on the front windshield of my 3-month old Ascent. Kept thinking it was crappy cleaning at car wash. Is this actual chips in the glass, or something in the laminate?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Well, looks like the dealer took care of it when the bodyshop (for a rear-end collision fix, see other thread) sent it over to finish the rear-end work. I figured while it was at the dealership, they could take care of warranty items, so I gave them a list (windshield mounting, WUV07 CVT, WUU06 ECU, and then 24K service).

Glad they did the windshield, but the service guy is a non-communicator and just won't call me back (he did not list the windshield in the work invoice, and I have no idea if they did the oil or tire rotation; three phone messages to him, nada, nothing). Whatever. Next dealer. Pinheads.

F.S.
good communication from the service advisor is a foundation of a quality dealership. Fortunately I have not had that experience. I email back and forth with my guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.