1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
While I will be replacing my windshield this Saturday, I know that the crack occurred due to a prior rock chip two weeks prior. I had filled the chip but apparently it did not hold. This was not a faulty windshield and I do not recall reading others have spontaneous cracking without any prior damage having occurred.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
That lawsuit will only make the lawyers more wealthy. Most windshield cracks are caused by rocks or other debris which are specifically excluded in this lawsuit. Most Subaru owners will be left without recourse.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
That lawsuit will only make the lawyers more wealthy. Most windshield cracks are caused by rocks or other debris which are specifically excluded in this lawsuit. Most Subaru owners will be left without recourse.
It would be very difficult to provide proof of a faulty windshield. Even if a windshield cracked while sitting in your driveway, it may have initially been caused by a rock prior to that date. If in fact you had a rock hit the windshield but it did not crack at that time, it certainly could have caused a stress point/line in the glass. Once you were aware of any hit on the windshield and its subsequent even small chip, it would be the owners responsibility to mitigate damages which in turn you would have to prove. On top of that, what would you claim are your damages? At most you get one new windshield and the attorneys get work.

On the other hand if an auto manufacturer knew of a problem with their windshields such as trapped air or other contaminants during a specific manufacturing run, then they would be responsible for the replacement. Of course you would need to provide proof of that prior knowledge and that they took no steps for correction.

Experiencing a run of cracked windshields for an owner does not automatically equate with a manufacturing defect.

·
Banned
85 Posts
It would be very difficult to provide proof of a faulty windshield.

A judge in CA has already ruled a plaintiff has " alleged claims". Judge also ruled Subaru knew of the defects and plaintiffs were compensated.
Interesting that the windshields are not on the Ascent but how about several posts lately on the moon roofs cracking??

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
It would be very difficult to provide proof of a faulty windshield.

A judge in CA has already ruled a plaintiff has " alleged claims". Judge also ruled Subaru knew of the defects and plaintiffs were compensated.
Interesting that the windshields are not on the Ascent but how about several posts lately on the moon roofs cracking??
That's a different case, and different windshields. This is yet to be a case. Denis Flierl is trying to help it become a certified class action, which is why he cannot cite the actual case and suit.

As for the moonroof cracks... do you know what percentage are affected, and how that compares industry wide?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a defective windshield and I DID POST about it from day one. When it rained I couldn't even see through it. The front driver and passenger window were the same way. After 6 mos of arguing with Subaru dealer (who knew about the defect from the minute we drove it off the lot), Subaru of America approved replacement of all 3 windows. The windows that were replaced were all the laminated windows. There was definitely a defective windshield in my car and I don't doubt that the glass manufacturer has some issues.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I had a defective windshield and I DID POST about it from day one. When it rained I couldn't even see through it. The front driver and passenger window were the same way. After 6 mos of arguing with Subaru dealer (who knew about the defect from the minute we drove it off the lot), Subaru of America approved replacement of all 3 windows. The windows that were replaced were all the laminated windows. There was definitely a defective windshield in my car and I don't doubt that the glass manufacturer has some issues.
Different glass, and different manufacturers (plural). Your windshield and four pieces of front door glass is made by three different companies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread, but just wanted to report about my particular scenario just in case. Recently noticed a crack in the windshield randomly being present, about 3" or so coming from the bottom of the glass. No chips, no impacts, no incidents that would cause it to start and then spread from that point. Vehicle is split 50/50 between garage and driveway so it's fairly protected in most scenarios. Within a couple of days after noticing, the crack spread to about a foot long, curving inward towards the center.

What's odd is from the information in this particular lawsuit, this crack is originating from the exact same location; passenger side, bottom, right above the windshield wiper area. My local dealership said it would not be covered despite not finding any impact marks of any kind and mentioning the similarity to the Forester, Outback, and Crosstrek models. I also contacted Subaru of America but that ended up not helping either, at least it's on record so should it expand into the Ascent I might get back the $1200 that ended up coming out of pocket.....

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
That location is most susceptible to flying debris. Filing a lawsuit is easy. Proving the suit has any validity is not. It ha appeared to me that this suit is an attorney driven entetprise.

·
Registered
731 Posts
CO is a little different when it comes to windshield insurance. Some carriers don’t offer anything. I’ll look into it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.