Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Has a chip cracked because of heat on your Ascent?

• Yes

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 80.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes -rock chips in windshields frequently crack with heat or cold. That is why we get them repaired to keep them from spreading.

Looks like your crack goes right in front of the eye site cameras. I had a crack there too and fun things happened to me because of it. The sun hit the crack and eye site thought that I was about to hit a wall and slammed on the brakes for me. I keep loosing ACC and all eye site functionality.

Get it replaced soon. If you are in Houston Gilman Subaru North had the best price on a replacement window even better than after market windshield repair places.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes -rock chips in windshields frequently crack with heat or cold. That is why we get them repaired to keep them from spreading.

Looks like your crack goes right in front of the eye site cameras. I had a crack there too and fun things happened to me because of it. The sun hit the crack and eye site thought that I was about to hit a wall and slammed on the brakes for me. I keep loosing ACC and all eye site functionality.

Get it replaced soon. If you are in Houston Gilman Subaru North had the best price on a replacement window even better than after market windshield repair places.
Thanks, I'm getting it replaced on Friday at Gillman Subaru SW through my Windshield Warranty.
I just assumed that the chip was not deep enough to fill in. Better safe than sorry from now on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am picking up my Ascent from the dealer this afternoon after they replace the windshield. What should I be on the lookout for? Any fit test I can do? Any Eyesight calibration results I can ask for?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I am picking up my Ascent from the dealer this afternoon after they replace the windshield. What should I be on the lookout for? Any fit test I can do? Any Eyesight calibration results I can ask for?
If it's a Touring, make sure the rain sensing wipers work. Touching the sensor area (and immediately moving your hand away before the wiper hits you) works - but spraying some water at it or waving something very close is the better idea. ;)

Make sure anything attached to the windshield is re-attached or added to your list to replace (eg: stickers), and make sure everything wired to or near it is properly working (eg: rear view mirror, light sensor on that mirror, overhead lights).

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
OH!!! I kinda covered this, but I want to mention it separately... not because I had to drive 40 miles to retrieve my EZ-Pass... that was just someone who looked like me.

Don't forget any toll/pass things. They put mine aside and I didn't notice it missing until I was home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts