Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only 3k miles and I took a rock to my windshield on the highway. Stinks. I am concerned having it repaired will still have extra light reflections and mess with my Ascent's EyeSight since it is smack in the middle of my windshield.

Question 1, anyone know if this is an issue?

Question 2, I have a $200 deductible... Should I just get the windshield replaced?

Question 3, anyone notice this winshield takes on more bugs, etc. Than a previous vehicle? Maybe the angle is not the best? I often have to clean my winshield by hand as the wipers can't get the smashed in bugs, etc. Off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
it is smack in the middle of my windshield.
anyone know if this is an issue?

Question 2, I have a $200 deductible... Should I just get the windshield replaced?

Question 3, anyone notice this winshield takes on more bugs, etc. Than a previous vehicle? Maybe the angle is not the best? I often have to clean my winshield by hand as the wipers can't get the smashed in bugs, etc. Off.
1. You probably do not have (almost certainly) a deductible on glass repairs.
2. If its in the middle, it will interfere will Eyesight. (see the diagrams on where you can put an EZpass so that it won't interfere will Eyesight)
3, Get it replaced with OEM glass, because of Eyesight and just because.
4. There is no deductible on glass repairs and it can't be counted against your accident-free rating.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2. If its in the middle, it will interfere will Eyesight. (see the diagrams on where you can put an EZpass so that it won't interfere will Eyesight)
4. There is no deductible on glass repairs and it can't be counted against your accident-free rating.
Deductibles, or lack thereof, on glass repairs are dependent on laws/rules of your particular state. Here in PA, glass repairs are covered under Comprehensive policy and are absolutely subject to a deductible (and a comprehensive claim).

·
Registered
567 Posts

It the dealer doesn't repair it, you need to go back to them for the eye sight adjustment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought my Honda Pilot new 10 years ago. The first week a rock hit it and cracked the windshield on the drivers side (no directly in the way of my vision but certainly noticeable every time that I drove it). I had it filled and drove with it for 10 years until I got my Pilot. I am stilled pissed off, haha. But probably at myself for not replacing the windshield. Insurance wouldn't cover it at the time... they would only cover filling the hole.

Sigh..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Deductibles, or lack thereof, on glass repairs are dependent on laws/rules of your particular state. Here in PA, glass repairs are covered under Comprehensive policy and are absolutely subject to a deductible (and a comprehensive claim).
You're right, and I'm wrong. When I looked up my error, I found that this varies by state.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone succeeded in getting the windshield replaced yet? Does Safelite actually have windshields for the Ascent (Basic)?

Safelite (connected to our insurance company) is hopefully going to do that this weekend but they could call us to postpone due to unavailability. Our crack grew several inches in 2 days when it was much colder this weekend (NJ). It's the bottom 3 inches and maybe a foot across or less so not blocking vision but definitely visible.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
I suggest you talk to your dealer first before selecting a repair shop. Our local Subaru dealership in Burlington, WA (Dwayne Lane’s Skagit Subaru) recommends a shop (St. Louis Auto Glass) that will ensure it’s an OEM windshield, plus the shop is trained AND authorized to do any adjustments needed to the Eyesight system, at least according to the service department (who after several years of working with I trust completely). As far as paying a deductible, I learned the hard way why a comprehensive deductible of $500 was a mistake. Our 2015 Forester suffered a cracked windshield after three months of ownership. The repair cost was around $475, and with a $500 deductible we paid for all of it. A zero comprehensive deductible costs an additional $12 per year per car here in Washington with my insurer (USAA), which I went with after that experience. Of course, in the 24 months since then I’ve not experienced a broken windshield, but with all of the logging trucks I find myself following I figure it’s onlily a matter of time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First we called the dealership and they said we had to go through our insurance. Then USAA send us to their Safelite connection. Safelite said that the recalibration (at the dealer's) after the replacement was covered.

I would think the windshields all come through Subaru now since the model is only out a few months???

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
First we called the dealership and they said we had to go through our insurance. Then USAA send us to their Safelite connection. Safelite said that the recalibration (at the dealer's) after the replacement was covered.

I would think the windshields all come through Subaru now since the model is only out a few months???
As of a couple of weeks ago, all Ascent windshields were reportedly coming solely from Subaru, for exactly that reason. I don't think that's changed yet.

·
Registered
919 Posts
When I got hit by a rock I contacted Subaru and they told me to contact a certain glass replacement company and gave me the number. When I called that company, they said I needed to contact Subaru.

For now I just used a $12 rainx fill kit to patch it up and keep it from spreading. Maybe someday I'll get it replaced, but for now it's fine (and well out of the way of the eyesight cameras).

·
Registered
932 Posts
For what it's worth, I suggest you look into glass coverage or lower deductible for comprehensive.

In NJ, we're required by law to have liability, with comprehensive (anything other than collision) and collision coverage optional. My comp coverage is $250 deductible, with my collision a $1000 deductible. Unfortunately, my company doesn't provide separate glass replacement deductible - but I have family members that were able to activate some type of bonus coverage that costs them around $100 if the windshield needs to be replaced for an increase of around $25 premium per year, per car. They learned the hard way after a rock cracked the windshield in their brand new Highlander, which I believe was quoted at over $1300 for replacement (rain sensing wipers, etc.)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have to be luckiest guy in the world. My first new car was in 2008. I had a cracked windshield within 3 weeks. Just filled it and never replaced and had it for the 10 years that I owned the car. I just got my Subaru Ascent. 6 weeks later I now have a crack in the windshield from a stray rock that is in the eyesight area of the passenger view so will need to be fixed. I am STILL waiting for Subaru to get a replacement door in because of a jackhole that hit and run my car while parked and now this. I presume that since two separate events, it will be two separate deductibles and I get to wait another 1000 years for parts to come in...

FML

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have to be luckiest guy in the world. My first new car was in 2008. I had a cracked windshield within 3 weeks. Just filled it and never replaced and had it for the 10 years that I owned the car. I just got my Subaru Ascent. 6 weeks later I now have a crack in the windshield from a stray rock that is in the eyesight area of the passenger view so will need to be fixed. I am STILL waiting for Subaru to get a replacement door in because of a jackhole that hit and run my car while parked and now this. I presume that since two separate events, it will be two separate deductibles and I get to wait another 1000 years for parts to come in...

FML
You sure the impact from the door did not crack the windshield? That would be one event and one deductible.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts

FML
Subaru notes that if there is windshield damage in the Eyesight area that ONLY OEM glass be used AND that Eyesight be re-calibrated. If the entire windshield needs replacement, Eyesight needs to be re-calibrated. I was told by a Subaru dealer that they charge $250 for the re-calibration. The dealer also stated that auto insurance companies who cover the windshield do NOT cover the re-calibration.

The dealer presented me with information on windshield coverage insurance from NSD and suggested that it would cover everything. I read the NSD contract and unfortunately it does not stipulate to that. I am currently in the position of buying my own Ascent so I am researching this aspect of vehicle coverage. I am waiting for a reply from Premium auto Glass to learn if they can re-calibrate after an OEM replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Subaru notes that if there is windshield damage in the Eyesight area that ONLY OEM glass be used AND that Eyesight be re-calibrated. If the entire windshield needs replacement, Eyesight needs to be re-calibrated. I was told by a Subaru dealer that they charge $250 for the re-calibration. The dealer also stated that auto insurance companies who cover the windshield do NOT cover the re-calibration.

The dealer presented me with information on windshield coverage insurance from NSD and suggested that it would cover everything. I read the NSD contract and unfortunately it does not stipulate to that. I am currently in the position of buying my own Ascent so I am researching this aspect of vehicle coverage. I am waiting for a reply from Premium auto Glass to learn if they can re-calibrate after an OEM replacement.

I think I'd talk to my insurance agent about what insurance would cover vs the dealer who may be motivated to sell me additional windshield coverage.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts

Many insurance companies cover the re-calibration. Always check with your insurance company first.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts