Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anybody have a wacky driver's window? Mine is fine 99% of the time, but when it's raining, sometimes the window starts to "chatter" when it's going back up. Sometimes it won't go up all the way as a result. It always works eventually. Other windows could be affected as well, but they don't get used enough to notice.

Today was pretty hot (85F) when it's been mostly 60s for daytime highs. I had my window down and upon closing, I could hear the window squeezing its way through the channel. It wasn't a scraping sound or anything horrific. It just sounded like a tight squeeze. The window would not automatically close all the way. It eventually went up after a couple of tries.

Anybody else see this? Is there a way to lubricate the windows?

Sort of related: Last Summer when I got the Ascent I also noticed that the center console creaks when it's hot outside. I have yet to fix this with cloth tape since the weather cooled down substantially after summer was over. Now that it's getting warm again I'l probably do that fix if the sound comes back. I've never had a car that was so sensitive to temperature fluctuations. :dunno:

·
Super Moderator
2,708 Posts
Sounds weird, but have you cleaned your windows lately? Mine was doing that and being squeaky when raining (don’t ask why I’m rolling the window down in the rain). I cleaned the window with just a microfiber cloth really well and it’s been fine since.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds weird, but have you cleaned your windows lately? Mine was doing that and being squeaky when raining (don’t ask why I’m rolling the window down in the rain). I cleaned the window with just a microfiber cloth really well and it’s been fine since.
I have not personally cleaned my windows lately. But I did get a car wash two days ago - the whole car is pretty clean. I'll try giving the entire window a good cleaning to see if there's any residue on it. Maybe I'll wax it too...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, I went to examine my window and noticed that the weather seal for it is loose. When the window is more than halfway down, the top corner of the seal starts to come down with the window! It's getting caught and pulled down somehow. When the window goes up, that same corner starts to bunch up and makes the window come back down automatically. It'll work if you help it a little but this is obviously not ideal. I tucked the seal back into place and it held up OK this morning when I went through 3 security gates. I only put the window 2/3 down so that the seal wouldn't be pulled out again. It's dealer time. Ugh.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My car is at the dealer now getting the window seal fixed. I was a little surprised that the service writer voluntarily said that he has seen this before with the Ascent. There's some adhesive in the weather seal that can somehow get stuck to the window. As a result, the seal will get pulled out of the door frame as the window goes down. Since the adhesive is broken at the top of the door frame now, the entire seal will be replaced. I believe they will add some lubrication so that this doesn't happen again.

With any luck I'll get my car back today. I have an Infiniti QX60 loaner. The knobs have a more luxurious feel than the Ascent's, and the entire car is noticeably more plush inside. It is pretty noisy on the road and has lazy acceleration. I was looking at these cars last Summer but I couldn't get past the super curvy interior styling that Nissan/Infiniti uses. I'm glad I chose the Ascent.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had the seal on the driver side go bad my Ascent last October. In my case, it would get caught as the window is being rowed up. When that happened the window would row back down by itself. I assume the snag would trigger some kind of pinch guard/sensor that forces the window to go back down.

Anyways , it took 3 visits to the dealership to correct; 1st time they ordered the wrong part, 2nd time they damaged the new seal... what a debacle that was.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the seal on the driver side go bad my Ascent last October. In my case, it would get caught as the window is being rowed up. When that happened the window would row back down by itself. I assume the snag would trigger some kind of pinch guard/sensor that forces the window to go back down.

Anyways , it took 3 visits to the dealership to correct; 1st time they ordered the wrong part, 2nd time they damaged the new seal... what a debacle that was.
Mine would get caught on the way back up as well. Thanks for the insight. Ugh... I'm hoping that since the service advisor had detailed knowledge of the problem that they know exactly how to fix it now. I could see with the Subaru app that my car pretty much sat all day long yesterday, presumably because they had to order the part. It was moved early this morning from the lot to a service stall. They told me it would be done today. I sure hope so because I'm not excited about taking that rental Infiniti camping this weekend! When my young daughter got into the Infiniti for the first time this morning, she said, "ewww". LOL.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have my car back. It's not fixed. I brought it in for a Tuesday appointment (yesterday). They said it would be done the same day or today. I texted my advisor today and he said they had to order the part and it would be in tomorrow or Friday. I could have predicted this, but I was being optimistic. I wish they'd proactively read the comments when I made that appointment WAY in advance so that they could order the window seal. Anyway, I have a camping trip on Friday and I wasn't going to take a nasty rental car. I rescheduled the repair for a day when the part will actually be there.

Even "free" repairs cost money. My dealer never has loaners so they take you to Enterprise rent-a-car. You are responsible for gas and insurance. So I spent $50 towards a rental and my car isn't fixed. Part of it is my fault because I didn't know if my insurance covers rentals, and I was put on the spot. Normally I don't mind small hits to my wallet like that, but the 2018 tax season was not kind to us. I guess I should leave it at that! lol.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry for you troubles rockthebeef. I hope you do not need the 3 trips like I did. I forgot to mention the porter accidentally opened the driver window while he was getting the car for my wife on the 2nd visit! Boy was she not a happy camper!

Funny you mention the QX60. I had one for a week rental while I was vacationing in Texas. I reserved a Pathfinder or Highlander, but the rental company gave me the QX60. Your daughter is correct...ewww

·
Registered
21 Posts
I own Ascent now. Saw this problem with 2017 Outback Passenger side on a couple occasion. Each time high speed driving on freeway at 65-70 mph. No wind. I’d pull off at interchange, slow down and the window would close. Traded Outback in on Ascent so my wife would have higher point of view. Thus never had it looked at. I’d talk with service. Most likely they can ID erratic window behavior through diagnostics. Keep a log of date, time, speed, conditions.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I own Ascent now. Saw this problem with 2017 Outback Passenger side on a couple occasion. Each time high speed driving on freeway at 65-70 mph. No wind. I’d pull off at interchange, slow down and the window would close. Traded Outback in on Ascent so my wife would have higher point of view. Thus never had it looked at. I’d talk with service. Most likely they can ID erratic window behavior through diagnostics. Keep a log of date, time, speed, conditions.
Thats really weird behavior with your old Outback. This particular issue is mechanical. The seal is sticking to the window due to some stray adhesive. Window goes down and starts to literally rip the seal out of it's groove in the door frame. Put the window back up and the seal bunches up and impedes movement, triggering the window to go back down.

For now it's OK as it's very useable if I tuck the seal back into place and only open the window 2/3 of the way. But I do look forward to having this fixed soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2019 Ascent here. When my window is down and I try to roll it up and it would roll back down. It'll do it a few times and when I try to record it it doesn't do it (of course). This has happened to me maybe 3 times, I also don't roll my window down often either. ?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
833 Posts
2019 Ascent here. When my window is down and I try to roll it up and it would roll back down. It'll do it a few times and when I try to record it it doesn't do it (of course). This has happened to me maybe 3 times, I also don't roll my window down often either. ?
Did anyone find a resolution to this? I've had the same problem since purchasing a 2019 Ascent in Sep 2018. @rockthebeef
Have you tried initializing the window using the procedure described on page 150 of the Owners Manual?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did anyone find a resolution to this? I've had the same problem since purchasing a 2019 Ascent in Sep 2018. @rockthebeef
Yes, the dealer replaced the seal and properly lubricated everything as they originally planned to do. You can probably order the part and DIY, but I'd opt for the dealer to do it for free under warranty.

If your window is catching the seal and tugging on it on the way down, then that is your fix. If everything looks OK then you might just have to re-intialize the window.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Add one to the list of cars that only do this when it is wet and inconvenient. It has always chattered when it is wet, but I didn't think much of it. I hosed off the car a couple weeks back before running it through the touchless car wash. Rolled window down, selected wash, paid, "The car wash is ready, please pull ahead." Window up, nope - window down, window up, nope - window down... finally had to push the window up with one hand to help it and avoid triggering the overload safety. After the car wash, it went back to just chattering until two days ago at an ATM in the rain. One more thing for the next trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anybody have a wacky driver's window? Mine is fine 99% of the time, but when it's raining, sometimes the window starts to "chatter" when it's going back up. Sometimes it won't go up all the way as a result. It always works eventually. Other windows could be affected as well, but they don't get used enough to notice.

Today was pretty hot (85F) when it's been mostly 60s for daytime highs. I had my window down and upon closing, I could hear the window squeezing its way through the channel. It wasn't a scraping sound or anything horrific. It just sounded like a tight squeeze. The window would not automatically close all the way. It eventually went up after a couple of tries.

Sort of related: Last Summer when I got the Ascent I also noticed that the center console creaks when it's hot outside. I have yet to fix this with cloth tape since the weather cooled down substantially after summer was over. Now that it's getting warm again I'l probably do that fix if the sound comes back. I've never had a car that was so sensitive to temperature fluctuations. :dunno:
Yes my window was chattering today when it was misting outside. I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent.I had to try several times before the window would even roll back up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am on my 3rd window seal. It last a couple months then starts the not going all the way up or the corner pulling down starts all over. What can I do? Subaru said it has to be greased, should I really have to go in and get the window channel greased all the time

·
Registered
4 Posts

Surely has happened to me also ; time to go back to the dealer …again !! Boy do I regret buying an Ascent

1 - 19 of 19 Posts