Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side window visor rattles and clicks like crazy when going over 55 mph. All of the tape is secure. I can reproduce the click by rolling the window down, grab the visor and move it back and forth. I have an appointment scheduled with the dealer but it's almost a month away. Looking up into the window channel, it looks like the seal is squished where the two metal clips attach. to the door. I noticed it is like that on all four doors. Was it a bad dealer install or is every ones like that? Thanks! I'll get pics soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey dwnthehatch,

Were you ever able to get this resolved?

We've had our window visors on since January (dealer installed) and we battled with rattling and leaky visors since day one. Earlier this month I was finally able to get the dealer to replace them under warranty, when we picked it up today two of the visors already had gaps in the tape (leaking - we tested with water) and ALL FOUR visors creak/rattle/click while driving down the highway.

I confirmed the metal clips you referenced are all properly attached (I believe those are accurate based on the installation instructions I found online).

The dealer and I are both scratching our heads.

I appreciate any insight!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I thought I was the only one experiencing this.
I feel like the clips are the culprits.I’m wondering if removing them will fix the issue.I know Subaru would not recommend that cause the visors are designed to work with them.
I’ve used many brands of visors in the past using only the supplied double sided tape and never lost one.
Been waiting to see if Weather Tech comes out with their in-channel version.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey dwnthehatch,

Were you ever able to get this resolved?

We've had our window visors on since January (dealer installed) and we battled with rattling and leaky visors since day one. Earlier this month I was finally able to get the dealer to replace them under warranty, when we picked it up today two of the visors already had gaps in the tape (leaking - we tested with water) and ALL FOUR visors creak/rattle/click while driving down the highway.

I confirmed the metal clips you referenced are all properly attached (I believe those are accurate based on the installation instructions I found online).

The dealer and I are both scratching our heads.

I appreciate any insight!
I removed them completely. The dealer was no help and I like the look better without them. The window seals are slowly returning back to their proper shape. I may buy new 3M tape and try to install them myself once my seals look better.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I removed them completely. The dealer was no help and I like the look better without them. The window seals are slowly returning back to their proper shape. I may buy new 3M tape and try to install them myself once my seals look better.
When you do, let me know, and I can help walk you through properly installing them. The window seals should not be impacted for a proper installation.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you do, let me know, and I can help walk you through properly installing them. The window seals should not be impacted for a proper installation.
Will do. Thank you. I have installed them on both my 15 and 16 Outbacks. I let the dealer do these ones. I tried reinstalling the window seal several times but it would not go back into place correctly since it was deformed by the bad install. They seem to be better now but not perfect yet.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Were there still rubber sleeves over the clips?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Were there still rubber sleeves over the clips?
The ones that protect them when shipping? They were removed. I think they just threw the visors on quickly and did not secure the window rubber correctly causing it to get pinched by the window. I go through at least 2 checkpoints a day at work which I have to roll my window down to show my badge. I think this compounded the bad install and kept compressing the seal in the wrong position.

I'm a DIY type of guy and would have done it myself but the install was free. They also installed my hitch wiring wrong which I had to correct myself but that's another story.

I appreciate your help.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
The ones that protect them when shipping? They were removed. I think they just threw the visors on quickly and did not secure the window rubber correctly causing it to get pinched by the window. I go through at least 2 checkpoints a day at work which I have to roll my window down to show my badge. I think this compounded the bad install and kept compressing the seal in the wrong position.

I'm a DIY type of guy and would have done it myself but the install was free. They also installed my hitch wiring wrong which I had to correct myself but that's another story.

I appreciate your help.
Any time. And, for your reference...

It was adapted from the Tribeca, so, there are a couple inaccuracies. For instance, the rubber shipping protection is labeled as plastic in the instructions, but, otherwise, it's fairly accurate.

Personally, I think that after removing the clip protection, the clips should be checked to make sure they're tight enough.

Also, it took a bit of effort, but, to fix my window seal issues, I used my fingers at first, and then a plastic spludger (flat trim tool) to flatten the window seal. I held it in place a bit on a very warm day (a few seconds with a hair dryer until it's just warm, would probably also work while holding it with a spludger), and then immediately shut the window on it. After a couple tries, I managed to get it to be in the correct flat position, left it for a day, and, since then, it's been fine.

That was after a month of it being squashed.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any time. And, for your reference...

It was adapted from the Tribeca, so, there are a couple inaccuracies. For instance, the rubber shipping protection is labeled as plastic in the instructions, but, otherwise, it's fairly accurate.

Personally, I think that after removing the clip protection, the clips should be checked to make sure they're tight enough.

Also, it took a bit of effort, but, to fix m5y window seal issues, I used my fingers at first, and then a plastic spludger (flat trim tool) to flatten the window seal. I held it in place a bit on a very warm day (a few seconds with a hair dryer until it's just warm, would probably also work while holding it with a spludger), and then immediately shut the window on it. After a couple tries, I managed to get it to be in the correct flat position, left it for a day, and, since then, it's been fine.

That was after a month of it being squashed.

Hope that helps.
Thanks. I reinstalled them a few minutes ago and the fit is perfect without any rattles.

I used a similar method with trim tools. Here's what I did to install them after putting new 3m auto tape on them.

1. Wipe the whole area down with 92% Iso alcohol
2. Roll down the windows and pull the window seals down.
3. Pulled the edges of the 3m tape to expose about 1" of the sticky area
4. I temporarily install the visor by clipping it on and pressing the 3m e down. I used painters tape to ensure it stays on.
5. I reinserted the window seal into the channel.
6. Slowly rolled the window up and wedged a trim tool between the windows and the seal and verified it was correct.
7. Removed the painters tape, then fully installed with the 3m tape while the window was still up.
8. Waited about an hour and checked that the windows did not deform the rubber when rolling them up and down.

Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. I reinstalled them a few minutes ago and the fit is perfect without any rattles.

I used a similar method with trim tools. Here's what I did to install them after putting new 3m auto tape on them.

1. Wipe the whole area down with 92% Iso alcohol
2. Roll down the windows and pull the window seals down.
3. Pulled the edges of the 3m tape to expose about 1" of the sticky area
4. I temporarily install the visor by clipping it on and pressing the 3m e down. I used painters tape to ensure it stays on.
5. I reinserted the window seal into the channel.
6. Slowly rolled the window up and wedged a trim tool between the windows and the seal and verified it was correct.
7. Removed the painters tape, then fully installed with the 3m tape while the window was still up.
8. Waited about an hour and checked that the windows did not deform the rubber when rolling them up and down.

Thanks for everyone's help!
dwnthehatch, how did you remove SOA visor off without damage to the trim?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.