Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver side window has started opening midway and not closing without me having to push and pull the window button SEVERAL times. Is anyone else having troubles with their windows?

·
Registered
68 Posts
My driver side window has started opening midway and not closing without me having to push and pull the window button SEVERAL times. Is anyone else having troubles with their windows?
SallyGrace
You could try the following from page 147 of the owners manual (if you haven't already):

Initialization of power window (windows with off delay function)

If the one-touch auto up and down function or off delay function does not operate properly, operate each window according to the following procedure in order to initialize the power window system.

1. Close the door.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position.
3. Open the window completely and then press and hold down the power window switch for approximately 1 second.
4. Close the window completely and then pull and hold the power window switch for approximately 1 second.

Reactions: ChrisWA

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Is it catching any of the weather seal? My driver's window started dragging the seal with it as it went up and down. I had to have it fixed under warranty. The tech at the dealer actually had seen this problem before and knew exactly what was wrong when I took it in. The seal was replaced and properly lubricated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SallyGrace
You could try the following from page 147 of the owners manual (if you haven't already):

Initialization of power window (windows with off delay function)

If the one-touch auto up and down function or off delay function does not operate properly, operate each window according to the following procedure in order to initialize the power window system.

1. Close the door.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position.
3. Open the window completely and then press and hold down the power window switch for approximately 1 second.
4. Close the window completely and then pull and hold the power window switch for approximately 1 second.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually the window is opening on its own accord and then I'm having difficulty closing it. I have an appointment with the service department in the morning. Thank you!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Actually the window is opening on its own accord and then I'm having difficulty closing it. I have an appointment with the service department in the morning. Thank you!
The initialization sequence above is exactly for that type of this scenario, as well as some other problems. Auto open is a function of the safety feature.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I haven’t had any window open itself but I have had issues with the passenger window closing all the way. Opening works normally but once in a while it will refuse to close completely. Closing 60% up then going completely back down. If I stop it and try closing again, it will either do the same thing again or it will refuse to move upward at all. It happens sporadically so the dealer can not replicate it

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have not run into this with the Ascent, but had in my previous car. If the window is closing and runs into unusual resistance, it will reverse and open to prevent trapping someone's head or extremity. In that car, I simply had to run the window up and down a few times holding the switch for it to relearn the normal level of resistance and to start wroking properly again. IDK if this applies to the Ascent.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don’t think there was anything there to give it resistance. I just had my car serviced and I’m the report said they cleaned and lubed the channel for the window because that’s what they believed was the issue. However about a week later this incident happened. Driving on the freeway I tried closing with auto close and it simply wouldn’t. I eventually got the window to close if I let it go all the way down and closing with manual close and not auto. As the temps were dipping into the 40s this was not a fun issue driving at highway speeds and turning my head to see if the window was closed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m having the same issue with my car. First time was a few weeks ago, but was able to get it to go up after a couple of runs up & down. Second time - Got gas yesterday & window wouldn’t stay closed; closed then dropped down to halfway open. Running up & down didn’t work. Finally got it I closed with help of station guy pulling while I inched it up. Haven’t checked the track yet because I don’t want to risk getting stuck with an open window in the cold. Plan to check it tomorrow when I keep the car in the garage if window won’t close. Doubt there is any debris in there though. Will still call dealer to have it looked at but figure it won’t happen when at the dealers & they’ll say the can’t fix what they can’t replicate. Disappointed, this is second issue I’ve had. Radio sporadically has no sound when I start the car up,only fix is to turn car off & restart. Dealer “can’t replicate” so no fix for this either unless I want to drive 1/2 hour to dealers when it happens.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Oh please no. We had this problem with the driver’s window for most of the 6 years we owned the Forester. All has to do with the pinch sensor stuff and was a major known issue with the Foresters. Some cars were plagued despite multiple trips to the dealer replacing parts etc. problem would always come back. It’s pretty infuriating on a daily basis going through Starbucks in the morning, fast food for lunch etc.
I hope it’s not a “thing” with the Ascent too. First time it happened was at like 10K miles or so, then quickly degraded from there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have this problem with my Ascent, especially on the passenger side. The window won't close, especially in cold weather. Talked to my dealer about it. He cleaned out the window channels. He told the stock window channels are narrow, and is ordering me updated parts which are wider.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have this problem with my Ascent, especially on the passenger side. The window won't close, especially in cold weather. Talked to my dealer about it. He cleaned out the window channels. He told the stock window channels are narrow, and is ordering me updated parts which are wider.
Thanks, Maybe worth my checking with the dealer then, especially if I can show them others have the same problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts