Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Will the next gen Ascent be bigger? Say 2 inches wider and 6 inches longer?

12K views 64 replies 21 participants last post by  Jim_in_PA 
I definitely wouldn't want it any wider, but I've driven much smaller cars all my life, so for me the Ascent is HUGE. I feel like all the lanes on the road these days need to be widened a bit now that I'm driving this beast of a vehicle. I wouldn't mind a hair longer, though, just because when we do have the 3rd row up there isn't quite enough room back there for much stuff. (but with the 3rd row down then I'm plenty happy with the space. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Keep in mind the engine is already forward of the wheels. It already contributes to our bad approach angle. Moving the engine extends the wheelbase by moving the front axles.

Also keep in mind that part of where others have extra space is where Subaru already engineered third row crash safety for the upcoming 2025 requirements.
I have to ask, Robert, what in the world does "our bad approach angle" mean. I'm not much of a car guy, so no clue what an approach angle is, or what makes ours (I assume Ascent owners?) bad. Would the Ascent be better if it had a good approach angle? Just curious.

Thank you to all of you who answered my approach angle question, your answers were very helpful. And Robert, thanks for your info re: the Ascent being the first natively 8.7" Subaru, I found that very interesting. Until last year I had owned and loved my old '95 Outback since I bought it brand new. Being the first year of the Outback, and more of a test version than an actual Outback, it wasn't raised like all the years that came after. I was always envious of the raised ones, since I've always done a fair amount of camping and hiking and such. I knew the '96 and years immediately after had used those spacers, but had no idea that was still the case. And didn't realize the others Subarus were like that as well. I'm curious, is there some advantages to having it natively built to that height rather than using spacers? Or does it not really make any difference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.