Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched, but didn't find a solid answer.

I remember the promo video saying it will work "even in stop and go traffic"

Just wanted to see if any of you have confirmed Adaptive Cruise Control works in stop and go traffic.

That would be a godsend here in LA, although I would worry about it being too jerky or people cutting you off etc...

Thanks all!

·
Registered
253 Posts

Just wanted to see if any of you have confirmed Adaptive Cruise Control works in stop and go traffic.

That would be a godsend here in LA, although I would worry about it being too jerky or people cutting you off etc...

Thanks all!

I don't have mine yet, but I know the answer is 'yes'. (At least you can find videos on YouTube of people doing it). If the car comes to a complete stop, all you have to do to push the 'resume' button, and you will get moving again. Also, if you are at a stop and the car in front of you begins to move with out you noticing...staring at your phone...the car will beep at you to let you know.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
If it's the same as Forester, then a quick answer is no. If the speed cannot be maintained above 25mph (or something like that), the cruise control turn off. The ACC is an additional feature on top of conventional cruise control system and cruise control system has not changed for decades.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Thanks all!
I don't have mine yet, but I know the answer is 'yes'. (At least you can find videos on YouTube of people doing it). If the car comes to a complete stop, all you have to do to push the 'resume' button, and you will get moving again. Also, if you are at a stop and the car in front of you begins to move with out you noticing...staring at your phone...the car will beep at you to let you know.
If it's the same as Forester, then a quick answer is no. If the speed cannot be maintained above 25mph (or something like that), the cruise control turn off. The ACC is an additional feature on top of conventional cruise control system and cruise control system has not changed for decades.

Straight from the Eyesight manual:

Adaptive Cruise Control is designed for use on expressways, freeways, toll roads, interstate highways and similar limited access roads. It is not intended to be used in city traffic. In the following conditions, do not use Adaptive Cruise Control. Doing so may result in an accident.

- Ordinary roads (roads other than those mentioned above)
- Traffic conditions when frequent acceleration and deceleration make it difficult to maintain the following distance

There are many more conditions which I did not copy and paste here... just the relevant ones to the topic.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Straight from the Eyesight manual:

Adaptive Cruise Control is designed for use on expressways, freeways, toll roads, interstate highways and similar limited access roads. It is not intended to be used in city traffic. In the following conditions, do not use Adaptive Cruise Control. Doing so may result in an accident.

- Ordinary roads (roads other than those mentioned above)
- Traffic conditions when frequent acceleration and deceleration make it difficult to maintain the following distance

There are many more conditions which I did not copy and paste here... just the relevant ones to the topic.

Dangit marketing!

·
Registered
628 Posts

Thanks all!
The answer is no. We had it on our 17" Impreza Sport, it doesn't do stop and go, it only allows adjustment when in motion with CC, I've only use it beyond 50mph it doesn't slow down that far down to stop and reengage cc. Sorry..

·
Registered
225 Posts
It isn't intended for city traffic with lights and such.

"Traffic conditions when frequent acceleration and deceleration make it difficult to maintain the following distance" If traffic does not maintain a smooth flow it will take too long to accelerate and then slam on the breaks making for an unpleasant ride. Unpredictable traffic.

In rolling traffic it does work. It will follow the car in front of you and slow down. If the car reaches a complete stop it puts the system into ready. When in ready you have to either tap the gas pedal or press the resume button on the steering wheel.

The cool thing about it is that even if you don't have AVH (Auto Vehicle Hold) on, the cruise control will keep the car stopped.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just get a couple things straight here ... will it work? Yes. It will keep your distance and then slow you TO A STOP (that's something other manufacturers can't do to the best of my knowledge). Then you need to hit the gas to get going (or hit resume like some others have said but I didn't test that).

Now, should you? Absolutely not! I did it once with butt clenched and foot micrometers above my brake pedal just to see IF it would work. It did and I'll never do it again. Ha ha. It was incredible. Incredibly cool and incredibly nerve wracking. In the end, I'm confident that she'll haul me down to a stop in an emergency (as long as I'm not an idiot and follow too closely). That's really what I wanted to see work and it was amazing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it actually will work in stop and go traffic. The guy at my dealership that took me through all the tech described to me in detail how you could use it that way if you wanted (and he has an 18 Subaru but not sure what kind - a WRX maybe...and has actually done it with his car). I don't think I would trust it to just drive that way, but he did claim it would.

You would just have to get in the habit of hitting the "resume" button on the cruise control when traffic in front of you starts to move.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Chiming in to say I've used it in stop and go and it works fine.

One thing that annoys me with the with it, is the follow distance. I have it on the shortest distance and it creates too much space. Everyone just keeps cutting in and I just keep getting pushed back. People think I am the slow one so they just go around me in the right lane and back in front of me. Pushing me back another 4 car lengths, only to then have another person pass me on the right. It gets close enough on 55mph roads, but on the highway the distance is too far IMO.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Don’t have ours yet, but this is one feature I’m excited about, I think! Haha! Sounds like it will be great for long trips and interstate traveling!

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my experience, using ACC in local traffic, the Ascent will often start moving, after stopping, when the traffic starts moving. Though sometimes not, requiring a Resume or a foot tap. I am not sure of the differing circumstances.

It can get a bit scary when the traffic opens up far enough ahead that the system unlocks from the car in front and then the traffic slows down quickly. (Like I was not going to continue the test scary.)

Pay close attention if you use ACC in local traffic.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks all!
I am looking forward to buying an ascent end of this year or beginning of next, i know my cousin's 2020 corolla does stop n go traffic pretty good as i have first hand experienced it in heavy traffic on I-5 between san deigo and LA, was stuck in stop and go in freeway for 3 hours and this came in as a blessing and did not kill my knees and feet when i got home, it did so without any jerky braking hard / jerky accelerations, but very natural smooth ride like you would! I am sure toyota got it from its subaru partnership, so subaru must have also enhanced it to be a smooth experience even in stop and go traffic! i will test drive an ascent in next 2-3 days and let you know about my experience in the latest 2021 model for sure, if not the the first launch year

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am looking forward to buying an ascent end of this year or beginning of next, i know my cousin's 2020 corolla does stop n go traffic pretty good as i have first hand experienced it in heavy traffic on I-5 between san deigo and LA, was stuck in stop and go in freeway for 3 hours and this came in as a blessing and did not kill my knees and feet when i got home, it did so without any jerky braking hard / jerky accelerations, but very natural smooth ride like you would! I am sure toyota got it from its subaru partnership, so subaru must have also enhanced it to be a smooth experience even in stop and go traffic! i will test drive an ascent in next 2-3 days and let you know about my experience in the latest 2021 model for sure, if not the the first launch year
You revived a 3 year old thread, so I’m gonna steal your thunder. ACC works GREAT in stop and go traffic (;

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
You revived a 3 year old thread, so I’m gonna steal your thunder. ACC works GREAT in stop and go traffic (;
I can attest to that.
ACC has problems with acquiring stopped vehicles at a distance - just something to keep in mind. But, that's usually (but not always) different than most stop and go traffic where one is following another car that's stopping and going. ;)

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
ACC has problems with acquiring stopped vehicles at a distance - just something to keep in mind. But, that's usually (but not always) different than most stop and go traffic where one is following another car that's stopping and going. ;)
I use it in those scenarios as a secondary safety measure. Stop and go traffic on a highway is highly dynamic. I appreciate the backup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m currently at the dealer for my first oil change for 2021 crosstreck and asked about that issue since the adoptive cruise disconnected twice in stop and go traffic. They said older Subaru did have stop and go adaptive cruise but due to safety concern it now disconnect when it comes to complete stop. Don’t know if this means new cars only. Most car companies claim they have adaptive cruise control but they don’t mention the limitations my wife 2019 Pilot adaptive cruise disconnect below 35 miles my Tesla works under all conditions. Imagine my surprise when driving the Pilot and the car in front slows down suddenly and my car slows down then suddenly disconnect the cruise and I’m left to apply emergency braking to avoid a collision

1 - 20 of 27 Posts