Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well as they say there's no replacement for displacement. The 2.5 in the WRX is close enough build to call them twins. That alone makes it good enough 4 me. No you will sleep good knowing it's a damn good motor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
IDK. I've read about head gasket issues on Subarus. IDK if the 2.4 is plagued with it. Once of my sister in laws has a 2011 Outback. She came to visit us from Texas and the head gaskets blew on the way here. She got it fixed here, $4400 later. I guess what I am saying is that I hope it's reliable. We've had he Ascent 2 years 4 months, 40k miles so far. No issues with it yet, at least anything major. Just recalls, maintenance and a radio unit that won't keep presets and won't connect to wifi. The original tires were done by 25k too. For me, other than not liking a CVT, it gets terrible gas mileage around town. When it was in the body shop I rented a F150 super crew with a 5.0 v8 and that got better mileage in the same usage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
IDK. I've read about head gasket issues on Subarus. IDK if the 2.4 is plagued with it. Once of my sister in laws has a 2011 Outback. She came to visit us from Texas and the head gaskets blew on the way here. She got it fixed here, $4400 later. I guess what I am saying is that I hope it's reliable. We've had he Ascent 2 years 4 months, 40k miles so far. No issues with it yet, at least anything major. Just recalls, maintenance and a radio unit that won't keep presets and won't connect to wifi. The original tires were done by 25k too. For me, other than not liking a CVT, it gets terrible gas mileage around town. When it was in the body shop I rented a F150 super crew with a 5.0 v8 and that got better mileage in the same usage.
How you drive it, really determines how good or bad gas mileage you get. And I know people who have that same 2011 outback (one owner) with no head gasket issues. (they also have a YM 12 and 13 outbacks with no issues). Is your infortaiment head unit up to date?

·
Registered
92 Posts
How you drive it, really determines how good or bad gas mileage you get. And I know people who have that same 2011 outback (one owner) with no head gasket issues. (they also have a YM 12 and 13 outbacks with no issues). Is your infortaiment head unit up to date?
I guess we both are arguing from incredulity. As far as the gas mileage goes, I wasn't any easier on the ford. The car does a lot better on the highway...As far as the head gaskets go, do a google search. With the head unit, IDK. Since I can't connect to Wifi, I can't update things myself and IDK if the dealer would do it with normal service. My guess is no.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I guess we both are arguing from incredulity. As far as the gas mileage goes, I wasn't any easier on the ford. The car does a lot better on the highway...As far as the head gaskets go, do a google search. With the head unit, IDK. Since I can't connect to Wifi, I can't update things myself and IDK if the dealer would do it with normal service. My guess is no.
Actually they will do updates if it's in for the regular service. And yes I've looked at the issues with subaru's, which compared to number on the road to actual issues is very low. Remember bad things usually illicit more talk then good things.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Actually they will do updates if it's in for the regular service. And yes I've looked at the issues with subaru's, which compared to number on the road to actual issues is very low. Remember bad things usually illicit more talk then good things.
It can be like that or if you own a BMW motorcycle, it isn't. :) It's been dealer serviced all along, so if they would do it, it would have been done. I have one more service under the plan, I can ask at that time.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It can be like that or if you own a BMW motorcycle, it isn't. :) It's been dealer serviced all along, so if they would do it, it would have been done. I have one more service under the plan, I can ask at that time.
for the price of the BMW motorcycle they should wash, wax, and heat the damn seat every service..LOL My hubby has a Honda goldwing and his dealer shines up the chrome and paint each time he goes in and does something to help the leather seat (guess conditioner??). I really dont get why they'd not want to go above and beyond. But yes Subaru dealers will update the head unit if you ask them too.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I beat the snot out of my turbo on my 09 WRX and after 80k hard miles it was as good as new!

I wouldn't worry about the turbo!

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone

We are considering the 2021 Honda Pilot and 2021 Subaru Ascent. We were wondering how reliable the 2.4l Turbo Boxer engine will be in the long run vs say the 3.5L V6 in the Pilot? Will there be more carbon build up on the 2.4L?

Thanks
I believe Honda's are overrated. My 2003 Outback is still running with 240K. I keep up the maintenance and I will replace the consumables like brakes, batteries, shocks and belts. I avoid dealership and mechanics.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts