Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I watched tons of Eyesight test videos and everyone tested without applying the brakes, so Eyesight stops for you at reasonable speeds.
My question is, what if I applied the brake, but not good enough to stop the car at stop signs/lights etc. and will Eyesight makes it a complete stop before the collision?

I asked this question somewhere in this forum, but I want to ask this question to all Subaru owners with Eyesight system and have you guys tested this out? Most of the time your foot will hit the brakes at stops (unless you didn't notice the stop or light), but sometimes not hard enough. I wonder if Eyesight thinks you applied the brakes and doesn't alert you or do anything.

Last week when I was test driving the Ascent and at the stop lights I noticed it is not alerting me at all. I asked the sales person and she said since you are applying the brakes it won't do anything. But IMO it should alert you if you are getting closure to the front of the car or obstacle.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
I watched tons of Eyesight test videos and everyone tested without applying the breaks, so Eyesight stops for you at reasonable speeds.
My question is, what if I applied the breaks, but not good enough to stop the car at stop signs/lights etc. and will Eyesight makes it a complete stop before the collision?

I asked this question somewhere in this forum, but I want to ask this question to all Subaru owners with Eyesight system and have you guys tested this out? Most of the time your foot will hit the breaks at stops (unless you didn't notice the stop or light), but sometimes not hard enough. I wonder if Eyesight thinks you applied the breaks and doesn't alert you or do anything.

Last week when I was test driving the Ascent and at the stop lights I noticed it is not alerting me at all. I asked the sales person and she said since you are applying the breaks it won't do anything. But IMO it should alert you if you are getting closure to the front of the car or obstacle.

Thanks in advance.

I think my car is prescient. It did this to me this morning at a light where someone cut me off. It was very close distance, I hit the brakes for a more gradual stop because I knew they were cutting across to an exit lane, but my Subie played it safe and jammed on the brakes (and then let go when the car moved into the next lane).

This is the third time my car has done something on a morning drive right before someone posts a question about it... hmmm... :grin:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my car is prescient. It did this to me this morning at a light where someone cut me off. It was very close distance, I hit the brakes for a more gradual stop because I knew they were cutting across to an exit lane, but my Subie played it safe and jammed on the brakes (and then let go when the car moved into the next lane).

This is the third time my car has done something on a morning drive right before someone posts a question about it... hmmm... :grin:
You promised to do the test video, I'm still waiting on it :tango_face_wink:

I'm sure we didn't turn of the system while test driving, it didn't do anything at all. Do we need to do any setting changes to alert in this scenarios?

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
You promised to do the test video, I'm still waiting on it :tango_face_wink:

I'm sure we didn't turn of the system while test driving, it didn't do anything at all. Do we need to do any setting changes to alert in this scenarios?
Just make sure the system is on, that's pretty much it.

August 3rd is my next big Amazon delivery, leaving me lots of boxes to use for testing and hopefully a dry Sunday where I can find an empty parking lot to set up and not-crash into things. :grin:

·
Registered
965 Posts
I watched tons of Eyesight test videos and everyone tested without applying the brakes, so Eyesight stops for you at reasonable speeds.
My question is, what if I applied the brake, but not good enough to stop the car at stop signs/lights etc. and will Eyesight makes it a complete stop before the collision?

Last week when I was test driving the Ascent and at the stop lights I noticed it is not alerting me at all. I asked the sales person and she said since you are applying the brakes it won't do anything. But IMO it should alert you if you are getting closure to the front of the car or obstacle.

Thanks in advance.
What you've got going on here is collision avoidance, brake assist, and driver override.

You come up to a stopped vehicle and you don't do anything, collision avoidance will kick in and the car will brake automatically, hopefully preventing the collision.

Now, when collision avoidance kicks on, most of the time you're going to go, "OH, SHOOT!" and hit the brakes. You may not be pushing hard enough on the brakes, so brake assist will then kick in, and help stop the car, hopefully preventing the collision.

But what you're describing is, you're coming up to a stopped car and you've ALREADY started riding the brakes. Under MOST circumstances, the car is going to go, yeah, the driver is in charge and knows what he's doing, so there's no need for me to take any drastic action. It's still watching, and that's where things get iffy - it may finally decide oops, this moron behind the wheel doesn't know what he's doing and is going to hit the car ahead - but by that point, you're already too close, so even if it does do anything, it's too late.

Or, because it is designed to be a driver assist system, NOT a driver replacement system, it may decide that you intentionally want to hit the car ahead of you for some reason, and it'll just let you. I've seen that happen when I've accidentally tapped the gas pedal or tapped the brake. That's how to send a large cardboard box sailing, by the way. (Been there, done that. I think that's why at the ride and drives, they don't let us drive towards the inflatable cars anymore, they only demonstrate it.) One of the reasons it's tough to test is that when you're driving, you're having to NOT do anything, and that's sometimes very difficult, because you KNOW you're going to hit that box if you don't do anything.

That's why I also mention that blind spot detection in the mirrors is just that and ONLY that. It'll let you know there's a car back / over there. If you want to run into them, feel free to do so. (Same thing happens with Reverse Automatic Braking - you let it do its thing, it works perfectly. You override it a little, and you'll hear that crunching sound of your rear bumper hitting something. When I demonstrate it, my foot hovers OVER the brake, so when it engages and locks things up, it automatically shoves my foot onto the pedal as a back up.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, I can say it worked as I was pulling the car into the garage. I hit the gas to get over the front lip of the garage floor and EyeSight brought the car to a complete stop & wouldn't let me go any further. If i coast into the garage slowly it's fine. My wife was driving the car & the car ahead of us slowed down & turned. We got a little too close apparently because it started beeping & the red lights on the HUD started flashing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What you've got going on here is collision avoidance, brake assist, and driver override.

You come up to a stopped vehicle and you don't do anything, collision avoidance will kick in and the car will brake automatically, hopefully preventing the collision.

Now, when collision avoidance kicks on, most of the time you're going to go, "OH, SHOOT!" and hit the brakes. You may not be pushing hard enough on the brakes, so brake assist will then kick in, and help stop the car, hopefully preventing the collision.

But what you're describing is, you're coming up to a stopped car and you've ALREADY started riding the brakes. Under MOST circumstances, the car is going to go, yeah, the driver is in charge and knows what he's doing, so there's no need for me to take any drastic action. It's still watching, and that's where things get iffy - it may finally decide oops, this moron behind the wheel doesn't know what he's doing and is going to hit the car ahead - but by that point, you're already too close, so even if it does do anything, it's too late.

Or, because it is designed to be a driver assist system, NOT a driver replacement system, it may decide that you intentionally want to hit the car ahead of you for some reason, and it'll just let you. I've seen that happen when I've accidentally tapped the gas pedal or tapped the brake. That's how to send a large cardboard box sailing, by the way. (Been there, done that. I think that's why at the ride and drives, they don't let us drive towards the inflatable cars anymore, they only demonstrate it.) One of the reasons it's tough to test is that when you're driving, you're having to NOT do anything, and that's sometimes very difficult, because you KNOW you're going to hit that box if you don't do anything.

That's why I also mention that blind spot detection in the mirrors is just that and ONLY that. It'll let you know there's a car back / over there. If you want to run into them, feel free to do so. (Same thing happens with Reverse Automatic Braking - you let it do its thing, it works perfectly. You override it a little, and you'll hear that crunching sound of your rear bumper hitting something. When I demonstrate it, my foot hovers OVER the brake, so when it engages and locks things up, it automatically shoves my foot onto the pedal as a back up.)
I agree, they are there to assists the driver and driver can overpower it anytime. But all these will alert the driver first and then act.
That is what my concern, even if it doesn't assist the driver to stop the car it should at least alert, but my test drive Ascent didn't do anything.
It makes more sense to alert - If the driver doesn't pressed the brakes hard enough, the alert will make him to use more force and if he didn't then brake assist/collision avoidance kicks in and make it to complete stop and hopefully no collision.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still don't work like Impreza. I have a road trip coming up in it. I will see if I can get missile lock to fulfill my Top Gun fantasies.
I'm seriously doubting this feature as only few people confirmed that this will work. But, many of the members here already been using Eyesight since years and not confirming or ignoring this feature. I need to watch any video doing this job or the first test thing I need to do on my Ascent when I get it to believe it works as I expected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts