Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
to my knowledge they will NOT *ALL fit. @Robert.Mauro tested quite a bit.

**EDIT for clarity**

Not all 17's will fit. Spacing is key. I know some people wanted to get some STI wheels and those may not clear due to offset

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the guidance!

I looked up that user and found they did find some 17's that will fit:

So the answer appears to be "It depends"

That's nice and clear. Ha.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Thanks for the guidance!

I looked up that user and found they did find some 17's that will fit:

So the answer appears to be "It depends"

That's nice and clear. Ha.
I love that car!! I wish I owned one just like it!!! :grin:

Yes, only one I tested fit, and one FourMoBro tested fit. Did you find the details, or do you need them?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I wonder would the new WRX 18" rims would clear.... options!
I would love a good winter set. I haven't been able to find any 18's steelies with a big enough offset to clear

These

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So there is actually two reasons I'm interested in this.

I am wondering if Gen 5 Outbacks (Mine) can swap on Ascent brakes as a cheap brake upgrade down the road. It's an extra inch of rotor and OEM swaps are usually not expensive.

More info / thoughts here: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-2019/497443-subaru-ascent-brake-swap.html

The Ascent and the Gen 5's share hubs so the calipers should bolt up.

If the Ascents can run Outback 17" wheels I have a set of them with 245/65/17 KO2 tires mounted if someone wants a deal.
They appear to be a near match to the OEM size for the Ascent so I'm sure someone would be happy to run them.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
If the Ascents can run Outback 17" wheels...
If you're on Long Island, I'd be glad to volunteer my car to test that. My dealerships of choice didn't have any Outback Gen 5 17" wheels lying around, so, we couldn't test. The calipers (as you know) are bigger on the Ascent, so, that's where I am not too sure. Even the vast majority of 17's that fit over the STI Brembos didn't fit on the Ascent. :sad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're on Long Island, I'd be glad to volunteer my car to test that. My dealerships of choice didn't have any Outback Gen 5 17" wheels lying around, so, we couldn't test. The calipers (as you know) are bigger on the Ascent, so, that's where I am not too sure. Even the vast majority of 17's that fit over the STI Brembos didn't fit on the Ascent. :sad:
I'm in WV. Bit of a drive to Long Island.

:crying:

Let me know when you want to take the Ascent off road!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Ummm, every day? Most nights? Weekends? Lunch break? Dinner break? All the time?

Let me know when you want to take the Ascent off road!
Absolutely every single day I look at it. :tango_face_wink:

Now, it's just a matter of finding the time, lol!

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
The info and the links...

So what rims are in the first picture?
Liquid Metal Shadows. They must be balanced with the wheel weights behind the rim well, and on the inner edge. Weights will not fit *on* the rim well (they'll hit the caliper).

Tire size is 245/65R17 which is an exact match to the OEM tire's width and a 99.7% match to the circumference (one tire revolution per mile difference than the 18" setup). That's within the margin of error for tires of the same size. :tango_face_wink:

Details here:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...eefier-tire-recommendations-12.html#post45141

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Robert.Mauro I couldn't remember my password last night to post:

I measured the factory 17's. At the widest it's 16 5/8" At the narrowest it's 15"

I also went ahead and measured my spare Method 502. At it's widest it's 16 1/2" (actually narrower than the factory) at it's narrowest it seemed to be 16 1/4"

So based on that info I'm guessing the factory 17's won't work. But you said you tested the method 501's and they fit but there is not enough clearance to feel safe?

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
So based on that info I'm guessing the factory 17's won't work. But you said you tested the method 501's and they fit but there is not enough clearance to feel safe?
Sounds like it won't.

Here's the Liquid Metal Shadows compared to the MR501's.

The clearance on the Shadows is too little for even tape on weights to pass by. It's about 3.5mm, give or take, compared to a little over a mm with the MR501's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Liquid Metal Shadows. They must be balanced with the wheel weights behind the rim well, and on the inner edge. Weights will not fit *on* the rim well (they'll hit the caliper).

Tire size is 245/65R17 which is an exact match to the OEM tire's width and a 99.7% match to the circumference (one tire revolution per mile difference than the 18" setup). That's within the margin of error for tires of the same size. :tango_face_wink:

Details here:
https://www.ascentforums.com/forum/...eefier-tire-recommendations-12.html#post45141

Thanks for that... I wonder if the tire shop will give me trouble for asking them to balance it on the rear. Otherwise I like this option for my snow wheel and tire package.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Thanks for that... I wonder if the tire shop will give me trouble for asking them to balance it on the rear. Otherwise I like this option for my snow wheel and tire package.
My apologies for being confusing. They hopefully won't balance it only on the rear. Just have them balance just behind the well, and on the rear.

Generally, there's a couple sets of weights, one on the inner edge (towards the car body), one on the outer edge. Clamp on weights on the outside look terrible, so, they throw the weights on or around the area of the rim well (the bump out that gives it more strength that the TPMS sits in). They can place it right behind the well, as opposed to on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Has anyone tried the WRX 17" rim that come on 2015 WRXs? If so would those work? I ask because I currently have those on my Outback.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
Has anyone tried the WRX 17" rim that come on 2015 WRXs? If so would those work? I ask because I currently have those on my Outback.
They won't clear the calipers. Even some of the aftermarket rims that clear the massive Brembos on the STIs wouldn't clear. Because we're running 1,300 pounds heavier, plus up to 1,400 pounds more in cargo and up to 5,000 pounds more in tow, we have some pretty big front brakes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
:crying:
They won't clear the calipers. Even some of the aftermarket rims that clear the massive Brembos on the STIs wouldn't clear. Because we're running 1,300 pounds heavier, plus up to 1,400 pounds more in cargo and up to 5,000 pounds more in tow, we have some pretty big front brakes.

·
Administrator
10,948 Posts
If you're near Long Island, I would be quite willing to let you double check on my Ascent. But, also, I'd get the load rating before you even try. Make sure it's at least 1,800 pounds per rim. Bare minimum 1,750 maybe...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Since those 2015 WRX 17" rims do NOT fit over STI Brembos, it is very unlikely they would clear the Ascent front calipers.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 20 of 27 Posts