Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see no need to make our car a mobile hotspot. We tether to our phone already and they have an unlimited plan. We can do updates by being in our driveway and connecting to our home wifi.

The only thing I can see needing the wifi for is for the Starlink remote start.... does anyone know if this required to remote start the vehicle? Or can I cancel my trial period for the wifi?

·
Super Moderator
6,522 Posts
I see no need to make our car a mobile hotspot. We tether to our phone already and they have an unlimited plan. We can do updates by being in our driveway and connecting to our home wifi.

The only thing I can see needing the wifi for is for the Starlink remote start.... does anyone know if this required to remote start the vehicle? Or can I cancel my trial period for the wifi?
You can cancel your trial period.

The big benefits are better "range" (it definitely picks up signals where a phone cannot) - it has a much bigger antenna that's outside mounted, and shared data for family devices that may have limited data (where one wants more data for long trips).

So, many people won't find a need for it. Others will.

I find it handy when I travel upstate NY into small towns with spotty reception. My car has reception far more of the time than my phone - meaning through my car, my phone can have reception.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can cancel your trial period.

The big benefits are better "range" (it definitely picks up signals where a phone cannot) - it has a much bigger antenna that's outside mounted, and shared data for family devices that may have limited data (where one wants more data for long trips).

So, many people won't find a need for it. Others will.

I find it handy when I travel upstate NY into small towns with spotty reception. My car has reception far more of the time than my phone - meaning through my car, my phone can have reception.
You rock! Thank you for answering!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,528 Posts
Remote start uses Cellular (only) which is why the WiFi hotspot capability (which also uses Cellular, but on your nickel) isn't required for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts