Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've discovered that my Ascent won't recognize wifi sources that don't require password to log on. I have xfinity XB6 router. From my phone's app, I can change the 2.5G wifi from password required to no password required. When set for password required, my Ascent sees the source but when set to open, it doesn't. I live way out in the woods and leave my router in the open/no password required mode so my various client slaves can use wifi; my solar controller, weather station, guests who visit, etc all are able to use my wifi without needing to ask for a password. Well, all except my Ascent. I tested this with my phone is hotspot mode; in open mode/no password required, the Ascent doesn't see the wifi but with a password required it does.
This means if I want my Ascent to search for updates, I have to manipulate my router or phone hotspot to require a password to log in or it just doesn't see the wifi.
Why would this be? I'm running 19.01.70 version and when queried, it says it's up to date. I know that there are updates, but my car is new; built 10/19, so it's likely due to it's newness that I'm not yet allowed to update the software. Maybe someone with the newer version, 19.22.70 or 19.25.70? can see if this issue still exists on the newer versions.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Insecure wifi will soon cease to exist unless the layer of security is moved onto a Radius server or similar authentication method, so, I doubt any update will change that. The newest ones did not.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,907 Posts
I'm not surprised at this behavior simply for security reasons...latching onto wide-open hotspots when "out and about" could result in serious risk to the vehicle systems from nefarious folks. (And some of those nefarious folks can take advantage of open networks even in very rural areas, causing a whole lot of hurt, depending on what they are doing) Since some of the Ascent's firmware can be updated OTA, it's good that they require a secure network to combat that risk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.