Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok techies: My wife and I share 2gb a month on our phone plan and very rarely run out. However, I know since I will now have Apple Carplay, I will be using more data. So here is the question...

Upgrade my phone plan or subscribe to Wifi? For that matter, for people with Unlimited Data, isn't the Wifi pointless?

(we have Verizon for mobile service)

Reactions: calimomofboys

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ok techies: My wife and I share 2gb a month on our phone plan and very rarely run out. However, I know since I will now have Apple Carplay, I will be using more data. So here is the question...

Upgrade my phone plan or subscribe to Wifi? For that matter, for people with Unlimited Data, isn't the Wifi pointless?

I have Verizon. What are you paying now? I think they are running 40.00 per line for 4 lines. We have 3 lines and I think we pay 50.00 per line.

Have not had any issues with using data and being "throttled" after I think its 22G per each line.

·
Registered
120 Posts

So for us we are going to get the WiFi because we have 3 iPhones, 3 cellular iPads that share our data (not unlimited) and the 2 WiFi only iPads. The issue with having an unlimited plan is they don’t let you hotspot your phone so the 2 WiFi iPads wouldn’t have service. In addition to upgrade our plan to unlimited for all those devices would cost more than the $20 for unlimited in car WiFi monthly. We use AT&T service.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've never even investigated the car wi-fi plans as it is just my wife and I and we are on unlimited with ATT. I can see no point to it, unless you have passengers in your car who DON'T have a data plan. I'm with @Ctsoxceltsfan34 above: unlimited plans are so reasonable right now. I'd go that direction, unless you are getting a steal for your 2GB plan.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So for us we are going to get the WiFi because we have 3 iPhones, 3 cellular iPads that share our data (not unlimited) and the 2 WiFi only iPads. The issue with having an unlimited plan is they don’t let you hotspot your phone so the 2 WiFi iPads wouldn’t have service. In addition to upgrade our plan to unlimited for all those devices would cost more than the $20 for unlimited in car WiFi monthly. We use AT&T service.
@LMPDX What do you mean when you say Unlimited plans don't let you hot spot your phone? I have Verizon Unlimited and each line we have has there own hot spot. Now I will say once you use the 10GB allocated for the hotspot it throttles down to 3G speed. Might be different with AT&T as I noticed you use them (Which does work out nice for you, I think you can add the WIFI to your plan for a discounted rate I think) :)

·
Registered
292 Posts

Verizon’s “unlimited” plan that throttles after 20-22 gb does allow you to use your phone as a hotspot. I have 7 people on my plan (split between sister’s family and mine), and we’re averaging about $45/line after tax and dividing the cost of main plan.

·
Registered
40 Posts
@LMPDX What do you mean when you say Unlimited plans don't let you hot spot your phone? I have Verizon Unlimited and each line we have has there own hot spot. Now I will say once you use the 10GB allocated for the hotspot it throttles down to 3G speed. Might be different with AT&T as I noticed you use them (Which does work out nice for you, I think you can add the WIFI to your plan for a discounted rate I think) :)
ATT has two unlimited plans, one with mobile hotspot, one without. Just like yours, they throttle (or at least threaten you with it) at 22GB per line. Unfortunately, I go over that every month when we visit Michigan as the Wi-Fi coverage at the RV park is very unreliable, so I just turn on my hotspot and leave it on. Being a tourist town with about 10 times the population during the summer, I'm never really sure if I'm being throttled or if the service is overloaded with all the tourists!

·
Registered
120 Posts
@LMPDX What do you mean when you say Unlimited plans don't let you hot spot your phone? I have Verizon Unlimited and each line we have has there own hot spot. Now I will say once you use the 10GB allocated for the hotspot it throttles down to 3G speed. Might be different with AT&T as I noticed you use them (Which does work out nice for you, I think you can add the WIFI to your plan for a discounted rate I think) /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
My mistake AT&T when we had the unlimited it didn’t allow us to hotspot. Ultimately I think it comes down to what will be more economical for you. With all our devices for us it makes more sense to make the car unlimited.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My mistake AT&T when we had the unlimited it didn’t allow us to hotspot. Ultimately I think it comes down to what will be more economical for you. With all our devices for us it makes more sense to make the car unlimited.
I agree with you. I mean some scenarios it may be beneficial to have the option of ATT VS Verizon depending if you are doing long trips where one carrier might have an advantage over another in the way of coverage.

In my case I will use my phone for G Maps and such and if there is an issues I can always use the Magellan or the TT god forbid LOL. That might be another thread all together :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not sure how much a shared 2GB plan costs, but to bring your plan up to "Unlimited" on Verizon the total's ~$130/mo (which I imagine's a pretty big jump)... vs splitting ~22gb on AT&T's wifi for $20/mo on top of what you're paying. If AT&T has good coverage in Denver, it'll probably be cheaper to just get the WiFi (if you don't have other reasons to get unlimited data on the phone).

·
Registered
19 Posts
WiFi hot spot question:
Can the Ascent WiFi feature function when the car is 'off' or in 'accessory'. In other words, how non-mobile can the Ascent mobile hot spot actually be? Or with the car parked and I am nearby -- how "on" does the car need to be? (Could not find any hints on subaru.com.)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
AT&T wifi plan for the Ascent is $20/month plus: "Other Monthly Charges per Line: May include taxes, fed. & state universal svc. charges, Reg. Cost Recovery Charge (up to $1.25), gross receipts surcharge, Admin. Fee, & certain gov’t assessments which are not gov’t req’d charges." No way to know the actual cost until someone uses the service.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure how much a shared 2GB plan costs, but to bring your plan up to "Unlimited" on Verizon the total's ~$130/mo (which I imagine's a pretty big jump)... vs splitting ~22gb on AT&T's wifi for $20/mo on top of what you're paying. If AT&T has good coverage in Denver, it'll probably be cheaper to just get the WiFi (if you don't have other reasons to get unlimited data on the phone).
Obviously, this has nothing to do with the Ascent, but I had to share the 'love' (get it?)

Well, things have changed a bit, I have learned something new. If you have Comcast (Xfinity) Internet, LISTEN UP! Comcast is now offering mobile service for $12/gb and nothing extra. If my wife and I use 2gb, our bill is $24 +tax. That's it! If we use 3gb, its $36 +tax, etc. And it resets every month.

This is going to save us $100/mo!!!! So we can use all the data we want and still be saving $$$. The only caveat is, you need to be a Xfinity Internet customer. (They use Verizon towers, so if you have Verizon then there will be no change in coverage). I promise I don't work for Comcast, this just made my day!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have Verizon with 4 users sharing 10gb/month. Even with this data goes fast esp on road trips. I plan to just subscribe to the att plan when doing road trips so as not use all our shared data for those not on the trip. Then cancel before the 30 day window so it doesn’t auto renew. To me the $20+ fees for “unlimited” data for that month is worth it. Coverage and practical usage on the other hand will be a question until someone gets to try it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have Verizon with 4 users sharing 10gb/month. Even with this data goes fast esp on road trips. I plan to just subscribe to the att plan when doing road trips so as not use all our shared data for those not on the trip. Then cancel before the 30 day window so it doesn’t auto renew. To me the $20+ fees for “unlimited” data for that month is worth it. Coverage and practical usage on the other hand will be a question until someone gets to try it out.
I'm planning to do the same and just activating the service during road trips. It'll be nice to be able to have my daughter use the ipad to watch her shows instead of mommy's iphone.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm planning to do the same and just activating the service during road trips. It'll be nice to be able to have my daughter use the ipad to watch her shows instead of mommy's iphone.
That's a really good point. I didn't think about things like iPads that don't get mobile service...hummm, may need to go with wifi after all.

·
Registered
20 Posts

So do you just call AT&T and say turn it on? Is there an easy way to turn it on for a month or do you have to go to an AT&T store to activate?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I personally think Wifi in any car is pointless. Its been available in the Outback since 2010 and not a single person at my dealership has ever purchased it. Granted, the old system through Verizon was super chuggy and spotty. This new system is much nicer and the technology has come a long way, but its still so much easier just to turn on the hotspot on your phone.

I know not everyone has unlimited data, but you are generally cheaper getting unlimited data on your phone (something you can use all the time) than it is to get it just for your car.

But thats just my opinion :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I personally think Wifi in any car is pointless. Its been available in the Outback since 2010 and not a single person at my dealership has ever purchased it. Granted, the old system through Verizon was super chuggy and spotty. This new system is much nicer and the technology has come a long way, but its still so much easier just to turn on the hotspot on your phone.

I know not everyone has unlimited data, but you are generally cheaper getting unlimited data on your phone (something you can use all the time) than it is to get it just for your car.

But thats just my opinion :)
I concur with Jason. The only scenario in which I can see a car wifi makes sense is if your situation meets the following:
  • You have very limited data caps on your phone plan (e.g., 2-4gb to share amongst several family members)
  • You pay a ridiculously cheap amount for your phone's data plan
  • You don't need/want a better phone data plan
  • You only need the car wifi irregularly (e.g., one month each year)

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just got our Ascent this past week and I am debating if we should purchase the wifi plan. Our current cellular carrier is US cellular and can't get an unlimited data package. We live in Vermont, so cell service is hit or miss. My kids are data hogs and always want to be connected. AT&T says it's 'unlimited' for $20 a month, has anyone tried out their wifi hot spot? I just was not sure how well it works.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts