Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a "Subscription Expired" message after attempting a map update via wifi. Anyone out there with the same experience, problem, and maybe a solution? Background: I have a new 2020 Sub Ascent Touring (delivered late Sep 2019). I verified I have a good wifi connection at home--so this is not the problem. I have following the manual steps and watched YouTube videos: Settings>Navigation>Map Update (selected the state(s). After selecting ONE state I get a spinning wheel and then the dreadful "Subscription is Expired." How can that be? This is a new vehicle with free map downloads.

Subaru USA support/Starlink said not to worry about it because the maps for the new build (Aug 2019) were current and to wait a year. I think they were missing my concern. I'm working with my local Sub Dealer but, thus far, no solution. We attempted the wifi map update at the dealer using their wifi and got the same failure. They may be replacing the Gen III head unit???

Help? (Frustrated--just a little)

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Please log in to https://subaru-maps.com and let me know what your subscription says. Sorry they couldn't help you, I was hoping they could. I'll do what I can to help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please log in to https://subaru-maps.com and let me know what your subscription says. Sorry they couldn't help you, I was hoping they could. I'll do what I can to help.
Hello Robert, my subaru-maps expires on 2022-9-24. That's what makes this even more confusing. I was getting the "subscription expired" over wifi. Then I did a "sub-maps" update using a thumbdrive--it worked okay. Then I thought that may fix my problem--but it hasn't.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Hello Robert, my subaru-maps expires on 2022-9-24. That's what makes this even more confusing. I was getting the "subscription expired" over wifi. Then I did a "sub-maps" update using a thumbdrive--it worked okay. Then I thought that may fix my problem--but it hasn't.
Have you tried resetting the radio to factory defaults and reinstalling the whole firmware package?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried resetting the radio to factory defaults and reinstalling the whole firmware package?
The local Sub dealer performed a reset but I don't know if they reinstalled the firmware. I am following up with my Sub service rep on Monday, Dec 9th, and will ask about the firmware reinstall.

Some of my uncertainty is that I don't know if the "Subscription is Expired" is the normal (expected) message if there are no map updates to download. However, I don't believe that is the case--it doesn't make sense. The manual addresses what happens when there is a wifi map update available ("You get a screen if updates are available.") and not what the screen should display when there are no maps to download currently. No explanation in the Sub Starlink Owner's Manual.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
The local Sub dealer performed a reset but I don't know if they reinstalled the firmware. I am following up with my Sub service rep on Monday, Dec 9th, and will ask about the firmware reinstall.

Some of my uncertainty is that I don't know if the "Subscription is Expired" is the normal (expected) message if there are no map updates to download. However, I don't believe that is the case--it doesn't make sense. The manual addresses what happens when there is a wifi map update available ("You get a screen if updates are available.") and not what the screen should display when there are no maps to download currently. No explanation in the Sub Starlink Owner's Manual.
I can answer those questions...
  • If there's no updates, you will get a "Software up to date" message.
  • If there's maps updates and auto-update is off, you probably won't get a message.
  • If auto update is on, you won't likely see any update messages, since it will do it on its own. If auto update is not on, and you check, you will get a screen telling you there's updates, and allowing you to choose to do so. It looks like the one in my video below at the 1m 31s mark.
  • If there's a firmware update, you will get a notification on screen (looks similar to the maps update message, but obviously the messages will be considerably different).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can answer those questions...
  • If there's no updates, you will get a "Software up to date" message.
  • If there's maps updates and auto-update is off, you probably won't get a message.
  • If auto update is on, you won't likely see any update messages, since it will do it on its own. If auto update is not on, and you check, you will get a screen telling you there's updates, and allowing you to choose to do so. It looks like the one in my video below at the 1m 31s mark.
  • If there's a firmware update, you will get a notification on screen (looks similar to the maps update message, but obviously the messages will be considerably different).
Hey Robert, I had seen your video but I didn't make the connection with your name. Thanks for sending it. Yup! I'm doing it exactly how you do the updates on your video. I'm going to keep chasing this rabbit until I get it! I'll post my results after I'm done. Maybe my situation (and fix--hopefully) will help someone out there if they encounter the same problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts