Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the Wi-Fi hotspot will be usable without cellular service? Like, Can our personal devices (tablets) connect to the car’s Wi-Fi to share local media? And is there any inter-connection with the cars audio system?

We currently have a Honda Pilot with the rear seat DVD system that us and the kids have gotten very used to. For those that don’t know, there’s a flip down screen in the roof, and a dvd slot in the dash, along with wireless headphones, or the option of listening on the car speakers. It’s pretty nice/simple and works well. I’m not sure if we want to pay for monthly cellular data for the car, so I’m looking at other options. I’m sure there’s stand-alone systems we can install/rig up (I wouldn’t want anything permanently mounted/damaging materials)

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm not sure if you can use the cars Wifi to share data between devices but that is a neat idea if it would work.

As far as other options. While my kids wanted a DVD type system I had no plans on getting this due to the 1,500 to 2,000 cost on other vehicles. It would be cheaper to buy two ipads (I have two kids) download movies onto them and use seat back mounts so they can watch whatever movies they want.

I might try out the hotspot service when we go on long trips so the boys can watch whatever they want but I think it is easier to just think ahead and download the movies.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We do Ipads and tether to our Iphone for data. Also great for limiting Ipad screen time on trips. Simply shut down the tether and well your done lets play a I see game! LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
There's certainly nothing stopping you from carrying around your own WiFi AP/router otherwise. Heck, for the $1,500 Nemesis099 mentioned you could get an inverter, AP, and a decent media server to stream several terabytes of stored movies from, plus either run a cable or even have another little unit for hooking into the car's auxiliary audio in for music too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I find the idea of the in car WiFi router silly if you use hotspot from your own personal device. You’re basically allowing your. At to access the internet connection, then to your other devices. Isn’t it easier to hotspot directly from the device to everything else? Why bother going through the car? It’s redundant and slows down your connection. Now if you get data plan for the car separately, then it makes sense.

·
Administrator
7,831 Posts
A number of reasons...

I find the idea of the in car WiFi router silly if you use hotspot from your own personal device. You’re basically allowing your. At to access the internet connection, then to your other devices. Isn’t it easier to hotspot directly from the device to everything else? Why bother going through the car? It’s redundant and slows down your connection. Now if you get data plan for the car separately, then it makes sense.
I see a few reasons which may apply to others. #3 doesn't apply to me.
  1. The car has a bigger LTE antenna to get a signal with, better LTE reception, and can provide a more powerful WiFi hotspot because of its bigger WiFi antenna and more powerful WiFi transmitter than the smaller ones in phones.

2. Additionally, for some of us (such as myself), it's a boon when I am traveling through "AT&T Country". Now, with a TMo phone and AT&T car, the only places I don't get signal are in "Verizon Country" (such as the middle of Virginia, near the WV border).

3. And finally, for those with data plans that limit hotspots or hotspot data (Verizon and AT&T slow hotspot data, and have lower data limits), it's handy to offload data to the car's dedicated hotspot that doesn't have the same limits. This doesn't apply to me, since I have T-Mobile, where they don't throttle to 50GB (Verizon: 15GB, AT&T: 22GB).

None of those reasons may matter or be needed by some... or some or all of them may be beneficial.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I posted this question in another thread, but this seems like a good place too:

Can anyone provide direction on how to actually find and connect to the car's wifi hotspot?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Jared - I saw in the other thread that you started your 30 day trial with AT&T so now you need to set up and turn on your in car hot spot so you can connect to it. Press the Home button on your infotainment/nav system then select the Settings app and then General Settings. On the General settings screen the 9th & 10th items are WiFi Hotspot & WiFi Hotspot Settings. Select WiFi Hotspot Settings and then enter a network name and a password for your Hotspot. I just used the default name and put in my own password. After that exit back to the General Settings screen and select Wifi Hotspot and set that to On.

You should now see your Hotspot name listed on your phone under wifi networks available. Select your Hotspot & enter the password you just set up and you should be connected.

Page 63 of your infotainment manual lists these menu options for setting this up but doesn't go through the steps to do it. At least I didn't find them.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts